Compiling help for semi-noob, please?

Hi guys, I stumbled across this game by accident a week ago and I’ve been playing it ever since. I’ve been enjoying it so much I thought I might try out the latest experimental trunk builds, but I’m having trouble getting it to compile.

I’m kind of at the point where I have enough coding knowledge to be dangerous, but not enough to be useful. I’m running 64bit Win7 with MinGW, git and CodeBlocks installed now, but I can’t quite manage to get tiles mode compiled. Ascii mode works fine, but I prefer the tiles.

Trying to compile in MinGW churns through most everything, but drops an error at the end saying that ld.exe cannot find -ljpeg and -lbz2. I don’t really know where to find those packages, or indeed if they are actually packages I am missing, or what. I have all the SDL stuff I can find, including everything from the list of dependencies on the wiki article on compiling the game. I think the second one is bzip2, but I can’t really figure out what I need there, and perhaps more importantly, where to put it. I have no idea what’s wrong with the first one.

I can get CodeBlocks to compile the regular version, but if I try the Release - Tile Support build target, it errors out with the following lines:
||=== Build: Release - Tile Support in Cataclysm (compiler: GNU GCC Compiler) ===|
3rdparty\lib\libSDL.dll.a||No such file or directory|
3rdparty\lib\libSDLmain.a||No such file or directory|
3rdparty\lib\x86\SDL_image.lib||No such file or directory|
3rdparty\lib\x86\SDL_ttf.lib||No such file or directory|
||=== Build failed: 4 error(s), 0 warning(s) (4 minute(s), 19 second(s)) ===|

Can anyone point me to where I can get these files, and if you don’t mind, where exactly they need to be placed?

look in wiki for packages. And if you don’t want use title-set you can try cygwin to compile too.

You can try removing -ljpeg and -lbz2 from the Makefile. Not sure if that works, but those two files shouldn’t really be needed for cataclysm to run. They were included because they’re needed for cross-compilation with mingw-w64.

Hey, this seemed to work perfectly. After compiling it I had to download a few more .dlls it seemed I was still missing, but the program is working fine now, tiles and everything. Thanks for the help!