Combat Questions

Hey, my first post!! W000t!

Been playing for a few days. Started on 0.C and then moved to the experimental, and now using the launcher to keep updated.

So, I have a bunch of combat questions:

How is “to Hit” with a melee weapons calculated?
Every point of melee skill adds? 10%?
Every +x of a weapon adds? 10%?
Every point of Encumbrance on Torso (or is now Enc/10 withe experimental?) is a -10%?

How is damage calculated?
bashing/edged/piercing skill - adds damage or chance to hit?

With STR of 12, I am seeing my edged weapons getting stuck … how much str do I need?

Thanks!

To-hit roll is rolled as x dice with y sides each.

x is dex/4 + melee/2 + weapon’s to-hit + weapon skill bonus.
Weapon skill bonus is unarmed/2 (if unarmed) or best applicable skill/3, where weapon needs at least 8 damage of relevant type to get bonus from a given skill.
Dex is rounded down, melee and weapon skill bonus are added up and then rounded down.
x has a low cap of 1.

y is 10 - encumbrance/10, but no less than 2.
If encumbrance isn’t divisible by 10, the remainder is rolled (say, 54 encumbrance has 60% chance to count as 50 and 40% chance to count as 60).

Weapons getting stuck depends on weapon’s “cutting type” (chop, slice, pierce, spear), bashing/(cut+stab) ratio, your weapon skill (cut/stab), your strength and your current attack speed with the weapon (tired = stuck).
Machetes are terrible at not getting stuck (but have nice stats otherwise) and you need 5 cutting skill and high stamina to be safe from sticking when using them.
Fire axes are a bit safer (more bashing), then wood axes, knives (knives have good attacks speeds), spears and swords.
Slicing weapons like katanas are very unlikely to get stuck.

This stamina sticking may be a bug. It can pull out very un-sticky weapons easily.

Thanks!

“To-hit roll is rolled as x dice with y sides each.”

So, lets say:
Dex of 12
Melee skill of 2
Weapon to hit of +1
and Piercing of 2

X = 7, right?

let’s say I have an ENC of 20 on my torso, so Y = 8, right?

Ok, now what?

I roll 7 eight sided dice? and what is my target number that determines if I hit?

In this case x = 12/4+(2/2+2/3)+1 = 3+(1+2/3)+1 = 4 + 1 = 5
y is correct.

So you have 5d8 (5 dice, each 8 sided) for a melee roll

You roll that number and compare the result to target’s dodge roll, which is (dodge)d10, where dodge depends on monster type and size.

For example, a zombie child has 2 dodge and small size. Small size gives 3 dodge. So the total is 5d10.
Meaning that you’d miss a zombie child more often than you’d hit it.

Ok, that is very helpful… I guess its not critical, but I am not sure I understand how " dex/4 + melee/2 + weapon’s to-hit + weapon skill bonus" translated to “12/4+(2/2+2/3)+1”

Dex is 12, so 12/4. melee is 2, so I get the 2/2, but what is 2/3? something related to the Piercing skill of 2, but…? and the +1 at the end is weapon’s to hit bonus?

Skill BONUS, not the skill. Below that I said how to calculate the weapon bonus.

Doh! Got it

Thank you - that info was VERY helpful. I’m a long-time player, and still didn’t know the details on that.

The bit about needing at least 8 damage of a type before getting the bonus was a particularly nice bit of trivia. Does that change with damage/reinforcement?

[quote=“deoxy, post:8, topic:11666”]Thank you - that info was VERY helpful. I’m a long-time player, and still didn’t know the details on that.

The bit about needing at least 8 damage of a type before getting the bonus was a particularly nice bit of trivia. Does that change with damage/reinforcement?[/quote]

No, it checks base type damage.
Damage, reinforcement and even stats and skills can change what skill it trains, though.