Choosing the material in cutting clothes/armor

So I find a SWAT armor today,I cut it with a hunting knife in hope of getting 52 kevlar plate to help me build my survivor gear.

Guess what I get instead,52 rag.

I have enough of this already,when you cut a leather/cloth armor when you want leather patch you get rag. Kevlar/Nomex firefighter gear get nomex(Which is fine but still suck).
The problem is that only with material only contain Kevlar then you can ensure to get some Kevlar to repair/sew the high-tier gear.Sure MBR vest is good that it can dissemble to 24 Kevlar plate which is the only reliable source of plate in good number. You should be lacking Kelvar plate when sitting with 2/3 SWAT Armor and you can’t get the plate on the armor.

So my suggestion is,add a choice in the cutting menu.When the cloth contain more than one material,you can choose what material to get.
E.g
1 Cut the Leather part of the cloth
2 Cut the Kelvar part of the cloth

One addition suggestion on the cutting cloth action.Show how much produce you will get from cutting the cloth and add a confirmation check after clicking the item.E.g You will get 1 rag from cutting the towel,confirm?(Y/N)

How about a setup where cutting up say, the SWAT armor, you get both rags AND kevlar? I mean, in reality a SWAT uniform isn’t purely kevlar or purely cloth. If I shred a RL SWAT jacket I’m gonna get strips of cloth and kevlar plates. Makes more sense in my eyes than a simple “What material do you want to cut from this clothing?”

You know why scissors are so good, despite only cutting cotton and leather? THEY DO NOT HAVE ADDITIONAL ACTION PROMPT.
Strongly against additional popup there, cutting all loot from a single zombie run already takes AGES.

[quote=“stupidtat, post:1, topic:7460”]So my suggestion is,add a choice in the cutting menu.When the cloth contain more than one material,you can choose what material to get.
E.g
1 Cut the Leather part of the cloth
2 Cut the Kelvar part of the cloth[/quote]
Or, as with scissors above, cut with scissors? You get arbitrarily weakest material (speaking of which - nomex and kevlar are still cloth and should be cuttable), in the descending order steel-kevlar-leather-cloth/wool.
Cut with knife? Reverse order, strongest material retrieved.

Maybe even universal version, material flags [CUTTABLE_EASY] and [CUTTABLE_HARD] for scissors and knife respectively, so coders bother once and then don’t bother with updating knives and scissors’s code ever again since it’s jsoned.

That would be the greatest option, but also would require coding materials var to accept how much of that material it contains.
…which would also somewhat fix the volume-equals-material-output issue. Material amount unspecified, proceed as currently, material amount specified, return that amount of material.

SWAT armor should give you kevlar, not rags IIRC.

Just pocket-knived one, gave me 52 rags.

That would be the best solution,but then they will have to revise all the item contain more than one material and decide how many product you will get from each material from that item.It will take some time .

[quote=“Barhandar, post:3, topic:7460”]You know why scissors are so good, despite only cutting cotton and leather? THEY DO NOT HAVE ADDITIONAL ACTION PROMPT.
Strongly against additional popup there, cutting all loot from a single zombie run already takes AGES.[/quote]
I understand action prompt is bad thing,but my idea is the player should have a way to know how much product they will get from cutting this item.IMO adding action prompt can be one solution.
After some thinking,one better way to do this without action prompt is to add a line in the description of the item stating the product of cutting this item
E.g Cutting this item will produce n[rag/leather patch/etc]

Just one more thing for the ever-growing TODO list :smiley:

[quote=“stupidtat, post:6, topic:7460”]I understand action prompt is bad thing,but my idea is the player should have a way to know how much product they will get from cutting this item.IMO adding action prompt can be one solution.
After some thinking,one better way to do this without action prompt is to add a line in the description of the item stating the product of cutting this item
E.g Cutting this item will produce n[rag/leather patch/etc][/quote]
It’s called volume and it’s in description already.
Yes, if you haven’t paid attention, cutting up results in amount of material equal to the item’s volume.

A simple soution, at least for the SWAT armor, is to give the armor a (d)isasseme setup to give both kevlar plates and rags. Would be a hackish fix, but it would work.

[quote=“Barhandar, post:8, topic:7460”]It’s called volume and it’s in description already.
Yes, if you haven’t paid attention, cutting up results in amount of material equal to the item’s volume.[/quote]
I don’t know that,thank you.I haven’t dig into the JSON file for the result to know this.

But if we are going for ‘getting all material’ solution,the volume number wouldn’t be as useful cuz you don’t know how much this number will be divided into each produce,so a descriptive line will still be needed.

While it is a simple solution for SWAT armor,there still many more items face the same problem of confusing cutting result.Also any clothes added in the future with multiple material types will have to add a recipe too.

[quote=“stupidtat, post:10, topic:7460”][quote=“Barhandar, post:8, topic:7460”]It’s called volume and it’s in description already.
Yes, if you haven’t paid attention, cutting up results in amount of material equal to the item’s volume.[/quote]
I don’t know that,thank you.

But if we are going for ‘getting all material’ solution,the volume number wouldn’t be as useful cuz you don’t know how much this number will be divided into each produce,so a descriptive line will still be needed.[/quote]

I’m not sure how the numbers are determined now, but I’m sure whoever wants to tackle this will figure that out :slight_smile:

[quote=“stupidtat, post:10, topic:7460”]I don’t know that,thank you.I haven’t dig into the JSON file for the result to know this.

But if we are going for ‘getting all material’ solution,the volume number wouldn’t be as useful cuz you don’t know how much this number will be divided into each produce,so a descriptive line will still be needed.[/quote]
Doesn’t need JSON, just watching outputs carefully.

I made a suggestion on github yesterday, feel free to comment on it or implement it. It needs to be reverse-compatible, though.