Child Trait

I try to make a pre-existing character a lot for when I play the game, and one of them is a child that is far older than her years. The only problem is, there’s no way in game to tell the difference between someone who is technically a child and who is an adult. I try to alter stats, of course, but I still get raiders that walk up to me and demand I put my weapon down and threaten to kill me, ect. Everyone is assumed to be an adult.

Should there be a child trait? This would influence conversations and affect how you interact with the world, and alter your stats and such things due to your smaller stature. Instead of having to pick up bad back, low strength, ect, you just pick up “Child” and it alters you like that. It’d be a mutation, basically.

Is this feasible? It could be used to do a lot of things, like make a proper Senior Citizen, ect.

[quote=“Wally-kun, post:1, topic:10400”]I try to make a pre-existing character a lot for when I play the game, and one of them is a child that is far older than her years. The only problem is, there’s no way in game to tell the difference between someone who is technically a child and who is an adult. I try to alter stats, of course, but I still get raiders that walk up to me and demand I put my weapon down and threaten to kill me, ect. Everyone is assumed to be an adult.

Should there be a child trait? This would influence conversations and affect how you interact with the world, and alter your stats and such things due to your smaller stature. Instead of having to pick up bad back, low strength, ect, you just pick up “Child” and it alters you like that. It’d be a mutation, basically.

Is this feasible? It could be used to do a lot of things, like make a proper Senior Citizen, ect.[/quote]

Seems like a rather niche thing to code, and just as you said you can take the right perks to “emulate” being a child ATM. I feel like it would be awkward to write a grown man bandit mugging a “Child”. And it’s not like they wouldn’t, bandits just care about killing and or supplies, not if you’re of legal age to be mugged. Lol.

I’m all for all sorts of characters but let’s think about what it would mean to be a child in CDDA. I suppose some or most skills should be capped at like 5, since we can’t expect a child to be able to comprehend much about the principles of electronics or first-aid, for example.

Also once the player character, a child, would walk into a refugee center, he wouldn’t be allowed to leave, “for his own good”. :smiley:

Perhaps a child character could be forced to pick one or more of the food “allergies” or dislikes, to reflect the dislike for some food. A child could also enjoy candy items more.

All the dialogue alone might need a total overhaul.

A child character could be harder to hit due to his small size. A child’s immune system could be stronger, too.

Should a child’s body react to mutations somehow differently than an adult’s body?

Wouldn’t it be better to put in some kind of “child” start? You start out deep in the Cataclysm timeline as an adult, and you have primary post-apocalyptic skills (since no real schooling in the cataclysm) and you start out in either a refugee center, a survivalist community or some government compound at the point where you decide to go explore the world.

So, like fallout? Start ‘later’ and become the wanderer to find the waterchip? :slight_smile:

[quote=“DooMJake, post:5, topic:10400”]So, like fallout? Start ‘later’ and become the wanderer to find the waterchip? ^_^[/quote] lmao best post on this thread. Child trait would be a hard thing to code though.

I guess it’d be a rather niche start. But having that trait influence how bandits treat other NPC’s would be interesting.

Let’s face it: someone might be okay killing passers by for their stuff, but I like to imagine that those same people would hesitate to kill a child. Psychopaths nonwithstanding, of course. But sociopaths aren’t that numerable.

It’d be coming from their instincts as human beings, and also a little on the logical side. Think about it: a child wandering around. Maybe you don’t care enough to help them, but you can justify your own callousness and hide your empathy with the dismissal of ‘they probably don’t have anything of use’ and ‘they’re just going to die anyways, nothing lost’. Genuine psychopaths might not care but every bandit isn’t going to be the next Charles Manson.

Maybe a flag for certain NPC’s designed to be children or something.

[quote=“Wally-kun, post:7, topic:10400”]I guess it’d be a rather niche start. But having that trait influence how bandits treat other NPC’s would be interesting.

Let’s face it: someone might be okay killing passers by for their stuff, but I like to imagine that those same people would hesitate to kill a child. Psychopaths nonwithstanding, of course. But sociopaths aren’t that numerable.

It’d be coming from their instincts as human beings, and also a little on the logical side. Think about it: a child wandering around. Maybe you don’t care enough to help them, but you can justify your own callousness and hide your empathy with the dismissal of ‘they probably don’t have anything of use’ and ‘they’re just going to die anyways, nothing lost’. Genuine psychopaths might not care but every bandit isn’t going to be the next Charles Manson.

Maybe a flag for certain NPC’s designed to be children or something.[/quote]

But then you have almost no reason not to play as a child because humans/robots would be programmed not to attack you. So what if you can’t carry as much or use power armor? You can raid bunkers and outposts with no fear.

Also, there is already students, who would automatically have these traits, plus wait long enough, then you lose the child trait and get the teenager trait, then lose that and get the adult trait, then you lose that and get the elderly trait, and you lose that and you die.