Chemistry Mod/Alcohol Container Spawning process

I feel as if black powder shots should just be clear about having risks for weapon reliability/degradation so the player can decide whether it’s worth it, unnecessary grind/cleaning mechanics are a waste of time, just assume a player with a certain amount of markmanship or other gun skills does this automatically and add a buff to reliability with gun skills adding up to at least x?

Go ahead, plenty of room for resources to be scavenge-only.

And if Someone doesn’t like something in a mod they can always change it themselves.

There is one more problem with acid - you can get it from batteries. And you can make batteries from vinegar. so you can convert (weak) vinegar into (strong) sulphuric acid :(.

@kevin.granade Can we have Acid_Organs available from butchering Acid Zombies and/or other monsters? perhaps other chemicals too, from other kind of creatures. That way you could set up strong enemies “guarding” crucial resources.

Also, Crafting is quite bad approximation of chemistry, too. most often you set up experiment (say - one hour), let it run for some time (hours to days), often unattended (if recipe is good and tested), than get pure stuff from reaction - time consuming process, require attention or Hi Tech Equipment.
Can we have construction “chemistry bench”, which can be stuffed with starting material, turned on, and give us crude_product after long time (hours to days, depending on recipe). Crude_product would be converted to product via simple crafting. “chemistry bench” would use charcoal (low end one, only simple recipes allowed) or electricity (hi end one),

It’s worth noting that you can use a blood draw kit to extract acid from acid enemy corpses. Just let one single spitter into your base, kill and smash the corpse, then you have free acid until the corpse rots entirely. Or don’t smash the corpse.

Can we have Acid_Organs available from butchering Acid Zombies and/or other monsters?

Acid organ harvest was the primary reason for butchery harvest system rework. Though it would be better if the harvested thing was acid, not some intermediate step with only one crafting recipe.

Can we have construction “chemistry bench”

There was one contributor trying to write something like this, but I think the PR died. It’s not an easy task, nor one that can be done in two hours.
A dedicated volunteer with mediocre skills could probably revive it and coast on protips from those who know the game code.

I was going to tackle this idea at some point, in my mod: "Air-Drops", "Chemical Breakdown and Re-creation", "3D Printing", and more, but got bogged down and the air-drop aspect sort of took centre stage, lol.

I graduated with a BSc in Chemistry last year, and would love to collaborate/chip in anyway I can with this project. I’ve recently found the “Lists” used in some recipes (catadda/data/json/requirements:).

If you look up the recipe in dda for hobo drink for example:
{
“type” : “recipe”,
“result”: “drink_hobo”,
“category”: “CC_FOOD”,
“subcategory”: “CSC_FOOD_DRINKS”,
“skill_used”: “cooking”,
“difficulty”: 1,
“time”: 4000,
“autolearn”: true,
“flags”: [“BLIND_HARD”],
“components”: [
[
[ “oj”, 1 ],
[ “lemonade”, 1 ],
[ “apple_cider”, 1 ],
[ “cranberry_juice”, 1 ],
[ “juice”, 1 ]
],
[ [ “weak_liquor”, 1, “LIST” ] ],
[ [ “hard_liquor_chem”, 1, “LIST” ] ]
]
},
…you’ll see that you can just add the list title name to the recipe as a component.

and if you look in the requirements folder (/cooking_components.json) you’ll see how to make the lists.

Obviously this wont work for a lot of reactions as of the reagents used determines the final product, but having a generic list of acids and one of bases for example can help if the reaction needs acidic or basic conditions, so then you don’t have to copy and paste all the known acids and bases down each time for each recipe, you can just paste something like:

“components”: [
[
[ [ “weak_alkali”, 2, “LIST” ] ],
[ [ “strong_alkili”, 1, “LIST” ] ]
]

or something.

Hope this saves you time :smiley:, and good luck!

I did not know about that but it makes sense. At least now I am not reliant on acid rain for my acidic means.

I agree about long term unattended crafting, we need a system for that

The closest thing we have to unattended crafting is the whole delayed item transform thing similar to how tanning hides in game works. I imagine it’s not ideal but other than a fermenting vat disguised as a chemistry bench it’s really all we got.

OK, sorry for the delay in reply, school, exams, yada yada yada excuses…

Thanks for all the suggestions. Personally, I’m not a fan of the chemistry bench/delayed crafting, etc - if someone else wants to incorporate that into the main game, and this mod gets made compatible - cool - but I don’t think it’s worth it, and this game is survival focused - I just wanted to give the chemistry section more variety and accuracy, I didn’t plan on adding game mechanisms, etc.

I’m definitely a fan of the crude product that needs purified method. That gives a sort of multi-step feel to the longer reactions and maybe it would even require doing a successful reaction multiple times to get enough crude to complete the second recipe for purification. I’ll look into that for the more complicated syntheses, especially the drugs and explosives.

So - I know how to make a new recipe replace an old one, and I know how to get rid of items, but how do I replace items, and how do I get rid of recipes? For example, I might need to get rid of the recipes for certain narcs that are too hard to make in the cataclysm, and I might also replace the battery item to change some of its attributes.

The whole batteries can convert lemons to sulfuric acid thing was regrettable - but there was an easy second fix - make it so you can’t make a battery that can be used in a car from a lemon…:thinking: I made batteries only craftable from acid/chem_sulfuric_acid. However, with a minor exception: So, like I said earlier, this adds a tiny bit of detail to the story - but in this game non-radiated grapefruits, somewhere during the cataclysm, have had their sulfur-containing terpenes oxidized, and now contain sulfuric acid at a sufficient concentration to make a battery from. However, if there’s an easy way to, I’d like to replace this with spoiled grapefruits. I kind-of added this to the new battery recipe as a joke (see the new recipe below) but take it as making up for the fact that its harder to make batteries with this mod.

{
  "type" : "recipe",
  "result": "battery",
  "category": "CC_ELECTRONIC",
  "subcategory": "CSC_ELECTRONIC_COMPONENTS",
  "skill_used": "fabrication",
  "skills_required": [ "electronics", 1 ],
  "difficulty": 3,
  "override": true,
  "time": 5000,
  "book_learn": [[ "manual_electronics", 1 ] , [ "mag_electronics", 1 ] , [ "textbook_anarch", 2 ]],
  "qualities" : [ {"id":"SCREW","level":1} ],
  "components": [
    [
      [ "chem_sulphuric_acid", 1 ],
      [ "grapefruit", 1 ],
      [ "acid", 1 ]
    ],
    [
      [ "steel_chunk", 1 ],
      [ "knife_butter", 1 ],
      [ "knife_steak", 1 ],
      [ "bolt_steel", 1 ],
      [ "scrap", 1 ]
    ],
    [
      [ "can_drink_unsealed", 1 ],
      [ "can_food_unsealed", 1 ],
      [ "canister_empty", 1 ]
    ]
  ]
}

Thanks for the tips Duros!

I will have the update (small) incorporated to the files on my server and will repost the link here very soon. Tonight or at least some time this weekend I will do more updates to the recipes. It’s hard finding where each recipe is hidden…

Side note: I do like the idea of using brewing as a hidden mechanism behind some very long term reactions. Maybe I will do this for some of the hard to make end-game sorts of things. IDK.

NJ

OK, newest update.
http://ptp.x10.mx/chemestible_mod2.zip
Items

• nice_hard_cider - Small-batch local-made hard cider.
  • cyser - A mead made with added apples. Spicy. One hot sister.
  • beer_keg - Bulk, cheap beer makes any party better. Too bad this isnt a party.
  • whiskey_barrel - Made from, by, and for real Southern colonels! (Same description as bottled whiskey)
  • energy_drink_nitrous - Grapefruit energy drink, may cause racecar-driving hallucinations.
  • tabasco - Brings a little spice to life. Can wake you up on those hard mornings.

Recipes

• poppy_sleep - requires 2 poppy_bud and 1 denat_alcohol or 1 chem_ethanol.
  • poppy_pain - same as above, but uses acetone instead of ethanol source.
  • fungicide - now made from 100 copper or 1 scrap_copper, and 5 bleach.
  • chem_sulphuric_acid - now only made by heating the acid item. This may seem restrictive but the process that used to be implemented for making it was ridiculous.
  • battery - as mentioned before, the battery was an issue (in my mind at least). The resolution is to make the only acid sources that make it work be sulphuric acid (or just ‘acid’ as before). A certain other source of acid works as well, as mentioned above…

Story-line/Other

The only lore changes this mod makes is that it identifies the acid in the rain as sulphuric acid, and the gas coming from the extra-dimensional tears in space-time to be sulfur dioxide. It also states that grapefruits, post-cataclysm, ass contain a sulphuric acid derivative in them that makes them effective for making batteries, just as well as the other two mentioned acids.

More chemistry-related fixes/additions coming soon!

Cheers,
NJ

1 Like