Can't decide what weapon to use on my Crusade to take back the hexastate area

I want to equip myself and all my companions with one weapon to take on anything and everything on our quest to take back the Holy Land Jerusalem New England from the Saracens zombies and other infidels eldritch horrors. I just need help deciding what weapon to use. I’m torn between arming swords, zweihanders, and halberds. I’m considering fun, effectiveness, and A E S T H E T I C, and I just want to use one type because I like uniformity.

Arming swords
Pros
[ul][li]In use during the actual Crusades[/li]
[li]Highest DPS of the three[/li]
[li]Everyone holding their swords upright like a well trained army looks great[/li]
[li]Can be stored in a scabbard, which only encumbers my leg a little bit[/li][/ul]

Cons
[ul][li]Tiny and unsatisfying[/li]
[li]Conductive and low damage per hit means more shock-back damage[/li][/ul]

Zweihanders
Pros
[ul][li]Hits like a truck[/li]
[li]Likely to 1-hit kill and even pulp smaller enemies, pretty fun[/li]
[li]Wide swing for mobs (particularly in a certain dungeon)[/li]
[li]Big Beautiful Weapon[/li]
[li]Recreate the party in this video that I like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj2HvGPv0XM[/ul]

Cons
[ul][li]Not in use during the Crusades (then again, neither was my plate armor)[/li]
[li]Pretty dang slow, missing at low skill takes the fun out a little[/li][/ul]

Halberds
Pros
[ul][li]Reach, eat it acid line[/li]
[li]Non-conductive, eat it shockers[/li]
[li]My +2 accuracy crushes your tiny +1 accuracy[/li]
[li]Also has wide strike[/li][/ul]

Cons
[ul][li]Can’t be stored in a scabbard[/li]
[li]Peasantly and slightly visually unappealing[/li]
[li]Lowest DPS of the three[/li][/ul]

Thanks in advance.

[quote=“harison86, post:1, topic:14185”][u]Halberds

[ul][li]Peasantly and slightly visually unappealing[/li][/ul][/quote]
How can you say such a thing!?, it’s a spear and an axe fused together, just like the war gods always intended!

I would also consider ranged weapons like bows and crossbows. The crusaders would have lost the Crusades even worse without archers, crossbowman, etc.

[quote=“DemAvalon, post:2, topic:14185”][quote=“harison86, post:1, topic:14185”][u]Halberds

How can you say such a thing!?, it’s a spear and an axe fused together, just like the war gods always intended![/quote]
But it’s so bulky and not majestic, it’s like 90% pole!

Believe me I did. I tried out the reflex recurve bow, crossbow, repeating crossbow, and heavy crossbow, all with at least 3 mods on and explosive arrows/bolts. The thing is that A. 5 NPC’s close in on anything too fast for me to get a shot in before they get in the way, B. the great helm puts 30 encumbrance on my eyes, and C. the plate armor, nomad gear, MOLLE pack, and back scabbard if I use the zweihander is already a lot of torso encumbrance, and I wouldn’t want to have to deal with the encumbrance from wearing a quiver/bow or volume being taken up by the ranged weapon on top of it all.
I will be making use of scorpion ballistae though.

I recommend halberds for your soldiers. You, as the noble knight you are, should have an arming sword with fitting shield. Trust me, halberds can look quite menacing and cool as well.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Also, the Longsword, basically something between an arming sword and a zweihänder, had some appearances as early as the 13th century, so it might have been part of the last crusades. Wouldn’t have been a common weapon though, as it reached it’s popularity between the 14th and 15th century.

[quote author=harison86 link=topic=14929.msg305389#msg305389 date=1503961566]

[quote=“DemAvalon, post:2, topic:14185”][quote=“harison86, post:1, topic:14185”][u]Halberds

How can you say such a thing!?, it’s a spear and an axe fused together, just like the war gods always intended![/quote]
But it’s so bulky and not majestic, it’s like 90% pole!

NuG: “So like me in real life?” /s

I’m thinking if you could attach some sort of war banner or crusader flag on the halberd…

Whatever. Just blast this while destroying everything: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mobtxEJHhY4

[quote=“Rot, post:7, topic:14185”]I’m thinking if you could attach some sort of war banner or crusader flag on the halberd…

Whatever. Just blast this while destroying everything: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mobtxEJHhY4[/quote]

Hah I needed that song in my life… Thanks! :slight_smile:

I usually just give my NPC followers some type of reach weapon, I think just spears right now, not knife or copper or pipe just reg. Then set them to attack without moving so I can retreat and use them as backup if needed, but try to keep all the kills for myself…MINE I SAY! I hate having to deal with ammo for them… whenever I set them to pick up their ammo type, it works until I log back in and it seems to be set to pick up everything somehow(maybe a bug?) and I can’t find half my shit and think I’m going crazy(like yesterday when I couldn’t find my crossbow, I backtracked everywhere I went the whole day… it was in my survivor harness I had just started wearing…LOL) until I realize my buds decided to play hide and seek with my tools and they can’t carry anything when I go to trade with them, then realize they are full of loot from the base from auto-pickup automatically setting to pick all the things up.

[quote=“Kadian, post:5, topic:14185”]I recommend halberds for your soldiers. You, as the noble knight you are, should have an arming sword with fitting shield. Trust me, halberds can look quite menacing and cool as well.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Also, the Longsword, basically something between an arming sword and a zweihänder, had some appearances as early as the 13th century, so it might have been part of the last crusades. Wouldn’t have been a common weapon though, as it reached it’s popularity between the 14th and 15th century.[/quote]
You make a compelling case, and the poll so far is 50/50 arming swords and halberds. And I already have 1 arming sword and 5 or 6 halberds…

[quote=“Rot, post:7, topic:14185”]I’m thinking if you could attach some sort of war banner or crusader flag on the halberd…

Whatever. Just blast this while destroying everything: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mobtxEJHhY4[/quote]
Of course, I’ve been listening to nothing but Powerwolf and Sabaton recently :wink:

added my personal bias to the poll, to be fair though an arming sword is probably more survivable.

but yeah, no better sword than the one that’s larger than you are and able to cleave enemies in half with a single swing, that’s for sure.

The arcana mod had a certain zealous religious cult that basically hunted magic users with their own sort of magic. Witch hunters so to speak. Lots of neat weapons, armor, and other magic items in that mod.

But despite the mod, arming sword. With it you can charge into battle like a true knight.

Halberds of course. The only thing better than an axe is an axe on a stick. Closing with the enemy is so passe.