Candlebury's ISG -Idea thread and poll (See the Guide!)

glad to see you back into the fight! Other than a few minor typos, it looks good.

Yeah I have already fixed a lot of 'en typos, possibly skipped one or two

Also if you wondered why Candlebury has such a I screwed up face, this is the continuation

Man it’s stuff like this that makes me wish you guys had a paypal up. I want to throw more money at you all.

Well no text update today it seems but i did finish the melee drawings

Slap this stuff onto some old, worn toilet paper (because what else would a survivor write on, right?!), make a PDF and you’ve got yourself something worthy of being shipped with future stable releases.

Good work.

Looking good!

For me, learning about the world was the challenge at the beginning. When I first popped into the evac shelter I did even not imagine I was surrounded by possibilities. Teaching that the world is destructible and harvest-able for crafting is an important first lesson.

I like where you are going with the map as a good 2nd lesson. Someone mentioned the Triffids T as an important landmark because of its danger. Illustrating mushrooms blooming out of John’s eyes could help a newbie know to run from a fungaloid rather than just saying they are dangerous for it :). Teaching what lives in the world for another lesson.

Purifying my first glass of water was a challenge. For 20 minutes I scowled at the pot I had collected and tried a dozen different times to fill it with water so that I could boil it. Teaching what tools, charges and components mean in crafting (and teaching clean water and cooked meat specifically and where to get them) could be a good lesson.

Teaching about moves is also important. Understanding the mechanics of the turns started changing my perception of the game as obtuse and confusing to something more engaging. As I learned what moves were and how to use them against the creatures in the world I was able to immerse myself deeper into it. Yes, we need to point out that letting a zombie walk into a bush is a great way to fight them. (More than teaching moves as just moving, but how turns work too in your swings.)

Tailoring is super important in CATA; something that did not occur to me with skills like ‘cutting’, ‘launchers’ and ‘firearms’ drawing my eye on the list. Tailoring seems like a throw-away at first until you understand how important it is to repair and reinforce your clothes/armor. Maybe a before/after of t-shirt and jeans compared to a survivor suit could help - and throw a tailor’s tape around John’s neck to show how he got there. PS pointing out how to use the soldering iron and what scraps you need for the types of leather/plastic and how to get them is also important: I scowled at a tattered rucksack for 20m before I figured out how to get plastic chunks.

Getting into crafting a roof eventually could help. It isn’t mentioned anywhere that I know of, but you must build orthogonally and when you build a roof all the character sees is a floor. More scowling :slight_smile:

These were my big first hurdles. Pointing folks to IRC would help because that is where I ended up getting answers to most of my game play questions!

Hey if someone has questions that you think should be addressed in the FAQs now is the perfect time to mention them. (well not like im gonna update the guide now as im pretty busy but still)

Type on Nailboard. You typed Bee instead of be. EDIT: Woops send the police I tried to revive a thread