Can someone explain Multi-tile?

I had a brief search on the forums, and the wiki seems to be out of date on the subject. Can someone give us a working example or two of how Multi-tile it is done in the tileset JSONs? (I’m willing to, but I’d rather not have to dig elbow deep in a fully written tileset)

Thing is, I understand how it (probably) works in principle:
Either by detecting the shape of the similar blocks, or by checking the blocks next to it the tileset renderer uses different versions so that they fit together to make a larger shape… You can see evidence of this in game where the middle of a couch looks different to the ends, and how the corner on an L-shaped couch looks different to both

If we get a good explanation, maybe we can pare it down and add it to the Wiki :slight_smile:

There is no multitile building support via JSON at this time. Multitile buildings must be added to the source.

[quote=“ClockworkZombie, post:2, topic:5710”]There is no multitile building support via JSON at this time. Multitile buildings must be added to the source.[/quote]Not multitile buildings. Multitile tiles.

Those are achieved by basically adding a ‘“multitile” : true’ tag, and an array of subtiles. Here’s an example:

{ "rotates": false, "multitile": true, "additional_tiles": [ { "id": "center", "fg": 49 }, { "id": "corner", "fg": 50 }, { "id": "edge", "fg": 51 }, { "id": "t_connection", "fg": 52 }, { "id": "end_piece", "fg": 53 }, { "id": "unconnected", "fg": 48 } ], "id": "t_pit_spiked", "fg": 48 },

Here’s a nice visual aid to help you understand what the different additional tiles mean and how they must look like (i.e. what part of the whole they represent and what orientation they must be in)

I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

That helps a LOT, yes, thank you!

My only question is that with the example given it looks as though end pieces and corners are only provided once and intended to be rotated to match the pieces around them(even though you have rotates:false in the JSON?)… Mostly, I’m just wondering if it’s possible to differentiate between say, a Left-Top Corner and a Right-Top Corner

My knowledge on this is only based in making a tileset - not on the code behind it - but you can’t do that with multitile, as far as I know.

My knowledge on this is only based in making a tileset - not on the code behind it - but you can’t do that with multitile, as far as I know.[/quote]Yes, the only things that differentiate that are car corners, and they’re separate objects.

Thanks Sean Mirrsen, Antistar and Clockwork Zombie!

In case anyone was wondering why i was personally interested, here’s the project i’m thinking of doing (Isometric inspired building tileset): http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=6074.0