Can preserved or even mummified corpses rise?

Imagine an embalmed or otherwise preserved corpse of some knight or other warrior in a museum, kitted in antique armor.
The zombies eventually smash in the glass case containing the corpse, exposing it to the environment, which contains the blob. Perhaps a plague vector might feed on it or maybe even the rain drops contain enough of the blob to infect the corpse, causing it to rise again as an armored zed.

Would this work? Would the blob be able to let such old corpses rise? Or are they basically pulped due to all the aggressive, preservative chemicals at work, even if they are ancient? Museums might also add their own stuff so the corpse will be preserved for longer using modern science.

A similar thing might affect mummified or ancient buried corpses (which might have turned into skeletons already and are thus hard for the blob to utilize due to them being essentially inorganic).

I’m not a lore expert, and certainly have no official capacity.

My understanding is that the blob works with the not yet dead cells in the body, using them as the starting point for the influx of healing “magic” to revive neighboring cells. This means that once fully dead, there’s no revivification. Basically, a creature has to be infused with the blob before death for the blob to be able to use the dead body before it’s too late.
Also, I don’t think there’s a huge number of mummies in New England.

From what I understand the blob does indeed need live tissue to revive a body. It doesn´t however have the ability to revive dead tissue. Instead it just ramps up growth up form the alive tissue´s to cancerous levels to replace any dead or heal damaged tissue´s. Mummies don´t have any living tissue´s so there indeed wouldn´t be anything for the blob to work with.

3 Likes

Imagine an embalmed or otherwise preserved corpse of some knight or other warrior in a museum, kitted in antique armor.

This would never happen considering there’s no museum in the world (let alone in New England) that have a full-blown, armor-kitted corpse on display.
But considering the game has been taking this weird quasi-paranormal path to distancing itself from realism lately…

3 Likes