Butchering a tank drone

So it’s the middle of the night. I took too long looting one place and yet I’m still exploring a few spaces here and there while making my way back to my home base. So far, been pretty bad, it was a nearby swamp beside the road and I am besieged by giant mosquitoes and dermatik. Automagnum rounds are running out.

One thing that does put me in an advantage are light amp goggles, so there’s that. Anyway, I see road barricades. I’m like… okay, so where are the turrets? I check around. Nothing. Maybe it’s a glitch? Barricades with no machine to guard them. No signs of casings or wrecks. I see a truck, I check it out.

From the open door, my line of sight sees a tank drone. Oh jeebus, and its my first encounter with one too. Like, if this was the day, I’d have been spotted and killed. If I didn’t use the goggles, I’d have entered the truck and most likely won’t have time to notice.

And I thought, how the hell could a tank drone fit inside the driver’s seat?

Anyway, during the day, I did encounter a new FEMA camp, and they had the thing I need to take it out, emp grenades.

One throw, not enough. Two, it looked heavily injured. Three was the magic number. It seemed to be in one piece, but it’s incredibly heavy that I wouldn’t be able to pick it up.

So, is there any way to pick it up? Or disassemble it? It’s not gonna get back up like a zombie, at least?

[quote=“Azrad, post:1, topic:9267”]And I thought, how the hell could a tank drone fit inside the driver’s seat?

So, is there any way to pick it up? Or disassemble it? It’s not gonna get back up like a zombie, at least?[/quote]

It would be easy to make tank drones properly tanky. They could be forbidden from getting into cars, but then they’d be even easier to cheese than they are now.

You can disassemble it, but it requires quite a bit of tools and time. Soldering iron, welder, hacksaw, wrench etc.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:2, topic:9267”][quote=“Azrad, post:1, topic:9267”]And I thought, how the hell could a tank drone fit inside the driver’s seat?

So, is there any way to pick it up? Or disassemble it? It’s not gonna get back up like a zombie, at least?[/quote]

It would be easy to make tank drones properly tanky. They could be forbidden from getting into cars, but then they’d be even easier to cheese than they are now.

You can disassemble it, but it requires quite a bit of tools and time. Soldering iron, welder, hacksaw, wrench etc.[/quote]

Ah. I need all those tools on hand so I can butcher it? No picking up needed?

[quote=“Azrad, post:3, topic:9267”][quote=“Coolthulhu, post:2, topic:9267”][quote=“Azrad, post:1, topic:9267”]And I thought, how the hell could a tank drone fit inside the driver’s seat?

You can disassemble it, but it requires quite a bit of tools and time. Soldering iron, welder, hacksaw, wrench etc.[/quote]

Ah. I need all those tools on hand so I can butcher it? No picking up needed?[/quote]

IIRC, the Integrated Toolset CBM works too. But yeah, no picking it up, they’re way too heavy.

Once you have the necessary tools, keep in mind it takes a -long- time to disassemble the tank drone. I thought like 6-9 hours or something when I did it, so make sure you clear out the bad stuff in a big radius around you so you’ll remain undisturbed as you work.

On the plus side, it’ll yield quite a lot of useful raw materials. Just make sure you have some way to transport them.

I actually did it a while ago after I made the thread and found out how. Took one hell of a long time, too. Didn’t count the hours, but it was super tedious. Weather kept changing, and finished at very hungry and very thirsty and tired.

Unfortunately, it didn’t yield as much items as I’d hope. A few scrap metals, some power converters, and a M4A1.

I’m like, come one, you spent nearly all day cutting this thing up, and all you have to show for it is a bunch of steel? I went home with an empty wheelbarrow that day.

[quote=“Azrad, post:6, topic:9267”]I actually did it a while ago after I made the thread and found out how. Took one hell of a long time, too. Didn’t count the hours, but it was super tedious. Weather kept changing, and finished at very hungry and very thirsty and tired.

Unfortunately, it didn’t yield as much items as I’d hope. A few scrap metals, some power converters, and a M4A1.

I’m like, come one, you spent nearly all day cutting this thing up, and all you have to show for it is a bunch of steel? I went home with an empty wheelbarrow that day.[/quote]

Truth revealed

I think sometimes you can get its cannon when you take it apart? I killed one and took it apart, it took days of in game time to finish and in the end most of its parts couldn’t be recovered.

If anyone gets the Tankbot Main Gun without involving the debug menu, I would like to know about it. Thanks.

If anyone gets the Tankbot Main Gun without involving the debug menu, I would like to know about it. Thanks.[/quote]
:confused: I didnt get it, I just thought it was a thing you could get. Didn’t know it was a debug thing. All I got from the salvage operation was a bit of scrap metal and a short list of parts that couldn’t be recovered, which I only skimmed through without actually reading as I was only interested in seeing if taking it apart could be done and how long it would take.

If anyone gets the Tankbot Main Gun without involving the debug menu, I would like to know about it. Thanks.[/quote]
:confused: I didnt get it, I just thought it was a thing you could get. Didn’t know it was a debug thing. All I got from the salvage operation was a bit of scrap metal and a short list of parts that couldn’t be recovered, which I only skimmed through without actually reading as I was only interested in seeing if taking it apart could be done and how long it would take.[/quote]

May need more skill? Should be able to get its motors, some armor, the coaxial M4, the flamer, and plenty of scrap/electronics/etc. I wouldn’t be too averse to giving a MGL in the bargain since that’s the grenade launcher it uses.

But the 120mm is not human-usable. Sorry.

Err, how do you disassemble something without picking it up? Some things can be disassembled with Shift-B, but police robots can’t and neither can some map tiles that I’ve heard people mention disassembling.

Like what Coolthulu and Eric said, you can butcher it like a corpse, as long as you have the tools needed, like the soldering iron and welder, or having the integrated toolset. Same can be done on smaller machines and electronics.

[quote=“KA101, post:11, topic:9267”]May need more skill? Should be able to get its motors, some armor, the coaxial M4, the flamer, and plenty of scrap/electronics/etc. I wouldn’t be too averse to giving a MGL in the bargain since that’s the grenade launcher it uses.

But the 120mm is not human-usable. Sorry.[/quote]

That’s why you mount it on a shopping cart! (but seriously, the full barrel alone weighs somewhat more than one tonne so you’d probably be building a heavy gun carriage at that point, hopefully with the aid of some heavy duty hoisting materials… at which point it might just be easier to hope to find a lightly damaged or otherwise abandoned tank and use that.)

As it turns out, tank drones don’t seem to explode upon death. In the middle of a town, I see barricades, so my first thought is turrets. I grope around in the dark and I see it standing there. There’s a couple of zombies around too, and they became the chosen target of the tank.

Somehow I decided that I wanna punch it to death. I got a high melee skill since lately I’ve been using only that, from town raids to lab explorations. I activate thermal dissipation and charge the bastard. Somehow, it was too busy trying to kill the zombies than deal with me. I even took an exceptional photo with the camera pro mid-battle to top it all off. In the end, punching it like a ninja turned it into a wreck… which could be somewhat problematic since it’s in the middle of a town and all.

You can drag it around using advanced inventory.

maybe its because I was using a soldering iron that taking it apart took so long? I remember getting the flamethrower though, I built a turret with it. I recall I managed to kill it by not fighting it at all. I spotted it at a road block on the outskirts of town, and my base being not far away, I pushed one of my turrets over to where I’d seen it. It had chased an animal or maybe a zombie into a building so I had to lure it out. I hid behind a truck while my turret threw .50 cal bullets at it. for some reason, the tank drone wouldn’t fire on me because I was behind the truck, so my turret took it out while it was targeting me but not shooting or moving.