Book Name Suggestions (skill books)

A place for people to suggest book names for skill books. Like usually I will update the first post with peoples suggestions.
ARCHERY
Robin Hood
BASHING WEAPONS
Sports Illustrated (low end)
CUTTING WEAPONS
Kendo: The Art of Japanese Fencing
DODGE
Zen in the Martial Arts
FIREARMS
Special Forces of the World
Lyman Reloading Handbook, 49th Edition
GRENADE LAUNCHER
FM 23-31 - 40-mm Grenade Launcher, M203
MECHANIC
Popular Mechanic (low end magazine)
MEDICAL
Grey’s Anatomy
MELEE
Medieval Weapons
PIERCING WEAPONS
Sojutsu (Spearmanship)
PISTOLS
FM 3-23.35 - COMBAT TRAINING WITH PISTOLS, M9 AND M11
RIFLES
FM 3-22.9 - Rifle Marksmenship M16A1, M16A2/3, M16A4, and M4 Carbine
SHOTGUNS
Successful Clay Pigeon Shooting
SPEECH
The Art of Rhetoric
SUBMACHINE GUNS
The Fine Arts of Spray and Pray (yes, I just made it up)
SURVIVAL
Robinson Curusoe
Lord of the Flies (Low end I think as it doesn’t give much details)
My Side of the Mountain (decent beginner novel; contains pictures and details)
How To Stay Alive In The Woods
Home In Your Pack
FM 21-76: US Army Field Manual on Survival
The SAS survival handbook
When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need to Survive When Disaster Strikes
SWIMMING
Fitness Swimming
THROWING
101 Pitching Drills
TRAPS
The Trapper’s Bible: Traps, Snares & Pathguards
UNARMED COMBAT
FM 3-25.150 Combatives
UNKNOWN
The Anarchist Cookbook

Ok, I think we need some suggestions on things other than survival. :stuck_out_tongue:
Also, I think having lots of skill books that cross each other slash are redundant to each other would make sense. You gotta search for a book that contains knowledge you don’t have.

Robinson Crusoe - Survival, or maybe Lord of the flies :slight_smile:

I’ve a lovely 1951 Survival book titled “How To Stay Alive In The Woods”. Seems straightforward enough.

Advanced version is “Home In Your Pack”.

Pinch Hitter! - Learn to swing your bat (or other blunt object) with efficient finesse! Magazine to boost your blunt weapons skill by some minuscule amount.

FM 21-76: Survival
US Army Field Manual on Survival

very popular with LMOE types. maybe throw it in LMOE/regular shelters and with dead patrol spawns/helicopter crashes. not a regular library book, usually.

Remind me on Thursday/Friday and I’ll look up the Army designation for the 101-level skills-training manual. (I’ve got the 1994 edition. Almost 10 years out/date!) Learn to read maps, navigate, sight/maintain/effectively use M16s, and successfully use NBC-protective gear to establish MOPP!

Bought it at the local milsurp store, so that’s a possible source.

We refer to them as 10 level tasks now. Though I’m out of the US Army.

‘Robin the Hood’ (Robyn Hode if you wanna get ye olde) as an archery book

‘Special Forces of the world’ a firearms book

[quote=“Nopkar, post:8, topic:1062”]‘Robin the Hood’ (Robyn Hode if you wanna get ye olde) as an archery book

‘Special Forces of the world’ a firearms book[/quote]

Special Forces of the World isn’t much of a firearms book. Firearms is supposed to be skill at guns and ammunition. The level 0->1 firearms book right now is a Guns and Ammo magazine.

Maybe a level 1->2 book could be like the “NRA Guide to Firearm Safety” or something.

Army calls their rifle marksmenship BRM (Basic Rifle Marksmenship) and involves five fundamentals. I don’t remember what FM goes over that.
Ok, google is your friend.
FM 3-22.9 Rifle Marksmenship M16A1, M16A2/3, M16A4, and M4 Carbine

[quote=“Miloch, post:1, topic:1062”]SURVIVAL
Robinson Curusoe
Lord of the Flies (Low end I think as it doesn’t give much details)
My Side of the Mountain (decent beginner novel; contains pictures and details)
How To Stay Alive In The Woods
Home In Your Pack
FM 21-76: Survival
US Army Field Manual on Survival[/quote]

just to clarify, FM 21-76: Survival IS the US Army Field Manual on Survival. I mean that 2nd line as a description or whatever :slight_smile:

[quote=“grisamentum, post:9, topic:1062”][quote=“Nopkar, post:8, topic:1062”]‘Robin the Hood’ (Robyn Hode if you wanna get ye olde) as an archery book

‘Special Forces of the world’ a firearms book[/quote]

Special Forces of the World isn’t much of a firearms book. Firearms is supposed to be skill at guns and ammunition. The level 0->1 firearms book right now is a Guns and Ammo magazine.

Maybe a level 1->2 book could be like the “NRA Guide to Firearm Safety” or something.[/quote]

I was just kinda throwing stuff out there. speaking of, “Essential Nurse’s companion” first aid?

“Brain surgery 101” advanced medical? lol, i’d worry if my doctor had this in his office

“Rocket Science: NASA’s handbook” advanced mechanical or electronics or something?

“Hell’s Kitchen” “Grillmaster” “5 star techniques” cooking books maybe?

not all ‘funny’ but figure some of them would add flavor and diversity

OK, back at the house and outdated manual in hand. 10 Oct 1994 STP 21-1-SMCT Skill Level 1. Has basic First Aid as well, so:
Maps
Surveillance
Fortification (Construction 1?)
Camouflage
M16 (Rifle 1-2)
M60
Grenades (Throwing 1-2)
Recognize Unexploded Ordinance (Traps 1)
NBC Procedures
First Aid (First Aid 1)
Laws/War

Can I vote we ban any book names which aren’t at least quite obviously about the skill they contain?

I mean at the moment SICP is probably the most ambiguous book title, so a string of numbers would be about as irritating as the 15 different kinds of 7.324qx120 ammo :stuck_out_tongue:

Fair enough: Soldier’s Manual of Common Tasks, Skill Level 1, (NBC).

Or if you don’t mind a description rather than the cover title: US Army Basics Manual.

Rifles- (low level) “this is my rifle and this is my gun”

I can see how book names could get confusing. but then again a quick press of a button examines the book and shows you the skill levels needed to read it and what it’s used for…

You know what essential book we’re missing?
The Anarchist Cookbook [size=7pt](2035 Revision)[/size]

[quote=“Benedict, post:14, topic:1062”]Can I vote we ban any book names which aren’t at least quite obviously about the skill they contain?

I mean at the moment SICP is probably the most ambiguous book title, so a string of numbers would be about as irritating as the 15 different kinds of 7.324qx120 ammo :P[/quote]

\You can, but you’ll note I put the title with all FMs I listed.

Color me curious, but do any of these sound good to the Devs?

how bout, (insert skill or skill related name here) for zombies? or a misspelled version like zumbies.