Book Name Suggestions (skill books)

[quote=“Slax, post:18, topic:1062”]You know what essential book we’re missing?
The Anarchist Cookbook [size=7pt](2035 Revision)[/size][/quote]

What would it train?

Is Popular Mechanics not currently one of the included books ingame? They always have sections on how to do some craft project.

Popular Mechanics: DIY Edition. Could train construction skill OR mechanics. Whichever needs more options, the real thing tends to cover both topics.

Likewise, Popular Science magazine could train computers skill, OR electronics. Whichever one needs more books on it’s list.

[quote=“Slax, post:18, topic:1062”]You know what essential book we’re missing?
The Anarchist Cookbook [size=7pt](2035 Revision)[/size][/quote]

Add in an explosives skill, and you get +1 interwebs.

There is an explosives skill? :stuck_out_tongue:

No, but there should be. It requires more than a bit of chemistry knowledge and knowhow with a hacksaw to make a real explosive.

Basically, think of it like a “physics” skill.

I agree. I was just mainly giving you a hard time.

It’d teach you how to make niftier pipe bombs and such, I suppose. Recipes.

Possible explosives:

• time bomb
    -fertilizer bomb
  • petrol bomb (mix of pipebomb and molotov)
  • clock work bomb
    -etc

My first suggestion!

Speech:
“The Art of Rhetoric”
I suggest that this book covers skill levels 1 to 6, so this book is more useful than “Self-Esteem for Dummies”.
Read time: 30 minutes
INT required to read easily: 10

For comparison: “Self-Esteem for Dummies” takes 20 minutes to read, covers levels 1-3 only and requires only INT 5 to read it easily.

So if you got both books, you’d be better off reading “Self-Esteem for Dummies” first and from level 3 “The Art of Rhetoric”.

i know we have quite a few survival books but put this where you want, I just thought this was hilariously ironic:

“Your role in the coming Cataclysm, 2029 edition”

Commit 215ee8a0a975323737d0d5682f71e18321b07ba8 moved the book definitions to JSON.

However, it seems to me that the JSON definitions for the books are not used by the game yet.

Anyways, here is the JSON snippet for “The Art of Rhetoric”:

{
        "type" : "BOOK",
        "id" : "manual_rhetoric",
        "name" : "The Art of Rhetoric",
        "max_level" : 6,
        "description" : "A translation of an ancient yet still comprehenshive text about speech.",
        "weight" : 2,
        "to_hit" : 1,
        "color" : "blue",
        "intelligence" : 10,
        "symbol" : "?",
        "material" : ["PAPER", "NULL"],
        "volume" : 4,
        "bashing" : 8,
        "cutting" : 0,
        "time" : 30,
        "fun" : 0,
        "skill" : "speech",
        "rarity": 20,
        "price": 200,
        "required_level" : 0
    }

As I said, I haven’t been able to test this book ingame, so do not consider above versioion “final”. :wink:

Question: What are the color conventions for books? Especially, Does the color blue mean “advanced readers only” or does it mean that it covers advanced topics but makes no assumptions on wheather it may also be read by beginners? I assumed the latter. My book goes from 0 to 6, so would it be a good idea to introduce a new color?

More book ideas:

The SAS survival handbook - Medium survival knowledge, requires a intelligence level of 8 and a survival skill of 3, can bring your survival skill up to 5 and contains 1 recipe.

When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need to Survive When Disaster Strikes - Medium survival knowledge, requires a intelligence level of 7 and can be understood by beginners, can bring your survival skill up to 4 and contains 2 recipes.

The Trapper’s Bible: Traps, Snares & Pathguards - Medium trap knowledge, requires a intelligence level of 7 and a traps skill of 3, can bring your traps skill up to 4 and contains no recipes.

Art of War - Sun Tzu (combat tactics related skill)
The Prince - Machiavelli (speech?)
Inferno - Dante (Seriously it would be hilarious if this helped with survival, given it’s about a guy’s journey through all the layers of hell. We have so many already. It’d be great just as a misc book with a REALLY HIGH DIFFICULTY REQUREMENT for reading.)

Battle of Agincourt: 1415
Major archery skill book, 3-6 or so. (if you don’t know what this is, you should probably google it.)

I agree that more official military manuals should be added and found in bookstores, barracks (are barracks even a thing? If so, adding The Art of War would be a nice touch), and military surplus stores.

Speaking of bookstores, I picked up The Art of War and the official U.S. Army survival manual awhile back

Hahaha, my brother read Art of War and found he applies a lot of the tactics in games like League already. I need to read it. I’ll edit this post if I come up with more books to add.

[quote=“Mrnocamera, post:32, topic:1062”]More book ideas:

The SAS survival handbook - Medium survival knowledge, requires a intelligence level of 8 and a survival skill of 3, can bring your survival skill up to 5 and contains 1 recipe.

When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need to Survive When Disaster Strikes - Medium survival knowledge, requires a intelligence level of 7 and can be understood by beginners, can bring your survival skill up to 4 and contains 2 recipes.

The Trapper’s Bible: Traps, Snares & Pathguards - Medium trap knowledge, requires a intelligence level of 7 and a traps skill of 3, can bring your traps skill up to 4 and contains no recipes.[/quote]

Uh, there’s already a How To Trap Anything" that covers 0-4. Trapper’s Bible seems redundant.

I think we should have a plethora of skill books that over laps. That way you have to search for the right book a bit more. :slight_smile:

I presume that bookshelves are mostly full already, and that books that show up to the player are ones that are useful. (Why would people grab shelves full of books when evacuating?! They’re heavy and somewhat bulky to transport.) Adding worse books just gets in the way.

So I’m seeing all these new books in game and I’m not seeing any of these fine suggested book names! I’m insulted, really! :stuck_out_tongue: