Blood Adders

Basically, a Giant snake, that spits molten blood at you.

I would say that it would have a rare chance of it spawning it on its own.
BUT, The scent of blood on the ground would raise the spawn rate of the adders depending on how much blood is on the ground in the loaded area.
instead of having normal snake fangs they would probably have rows of razor sharp teeth that would probably cut through flesh easily and inflict bleeding alot whenever they bite you.

as for their secondary attack, i think it could be simple, just make it to where it acts sorta like a boomer or something where it covers you in blood. if you know one of the property’s of blood is that it likes to heat up a lot when it is unregulated. which would inflict a status defect that you are heating up and by quite a bit all over the body.

Stats-

Hp 100-400 range, for have you seen how large the spiders have grown :stuck_out_tongue:

Bite attack 20 - 50 slashing damage, somewhere in that range

Spit blood- range 3-6 tiles, leaves behind more pools of blood.

Behavior-
If there is no blood in the area i would think that you just came across one or it recently rained before it aggro’ed to you and i don’t think it would be too aggressive and would move at a standard 100 speed
If there is blood and depending on how much it works itself into a frenzy attacking the player/eating corpses as it comes across them… gains 1 speed per puddle of blood it is near (5 tile radius) and 5 per pool. and will be able to recharge spit blood faster :stuck_out_tongue:
and increase the rate at which they attack and spit blood… to a certain extent to where it doesn’t get too ridiculous… i could see some unlucky person that Rng Hates and getting mauled by 5 of them :smiley:

Special traits-
Regenerates 10 hp per 5 turns while fighting… blood around the area/ eating corpses could increase the effect.
Movement- as of somewhere above gains speed while near blood, but i think it may be appropriate to lower its base speed to 80-60 and increase speed gain from blood

Armor- i would presume relatively low like 5 bash 5 slash 5 pierce… until it reaches an enraged threshold gaining quite a bit of armor. so kill it quickly for it would take probably 2-4 turns or so for it to get enraged while in combat.

Enrage- Gains a regen bonus, speed bonus, and armor.

So, Does this creature sound like it would be delightful. it would be relatively weak when not wallowing in blood and probably weaker than a standard bear though it could probably still hit quite hard just not very rapidly. perhaps half the attack speed of a bear.

Got any creature ideas feel free to post them below

Yes -oh my god- yes. We need more nasty nether monsters roaming the earth.
I totally love this beefed up raging blood snake creature. Way better than the stupid rattlesnakes.

The more hp it has, the more rare it should be. I think the range should be around 80< HP <200
Depending on how big you say it is. I’m imagining if its like this , then it should be like 100 hp. Probably more?
No comment on all the crazy buffs.

So when a ton of pulped zombies are around there’d be a ton of blood adders? xD

So this would be like an introduction of a carrion eating species.
Blood adders are nether demon snakes right? So they would go after lots of chunks of meat on the floor and all the bloody giblets from using a .308 rifle on a squirrel.
I’m surprised we don’t have vultures yet too.
Any other scavenging animals, other than black rats, that can be added?

They would be awesome if they were semi-weak, but spawned in packs around the giblets, but it would be equally awesome if it was a rare zombie-hulk moment too!

By the way, they probably can’t be zombie hulk strong because I think nether demons don’t do well when they are far from portals.
Maybe have regular blood adders spawn anywhere with lots of carrion, but have the queen/king adder spawn near carrion around portals?

[quote=“Cherry, post:4, topic:4251”]So this would be like an introduction of a carrion eating species.
Blood adders are nether demon snakes right? So they would go after lots of chunks of meat on the floor and all the bloody giblets from using a .308 rifle on a squirrel.
I’m surprised we don’t have vultures yet too.
Any other scavenging animals, other than black rats, that can be added?

They would be awesome if they were semi-weak, but spawned in packs around the giblets, but it would be equally awesome if it was a rare zombie-hulk moment too![/quote]

I could imagine there could be blood adders and then Giant blood adders, but as you can tell, conditionally, they could take down even more powerful players even with 100 hp if not dispatched of quickly for high temperature is a pretty nasty debuf while they would just be wailing on you.

Depending on what in-game day it is, I could imagine myself dealing with this in a buncha ways.
But melee against nether creatures is totally a last resort. If there blood spit was short range like a boomer, than melee would definitely be slowed down and it wouldn’t be viable.
I’d get my bear traps ready if they were hanging further from my base, or start lighting sticks on fire if they were blocking the way or something. Archery shots from a longbow could possibly do 30 damage consistently, so 3 shotting them would be fine right? If they are in a pack, then just hope you are a good enough shot and don’t miss.
If you got a good gun, then I’m pretty sure you’re safe etc. A pistol or revolver is pretty much in the same boat as a bow.

TLDR - Use ranged weapons on demon snakes that spit hot blood

[quote=“Cherry, post:6, topic:4251”]Depending on what in-game day it is, I could imagine myself dealing with this in a buncha ways.
But melee against nether creatures is totally a last resort. If there blood spit was short range like a boomer, than melee would definitely be slowed down and it wouldn’t be viable.
I’d get my bear traps ready if they were hanging further from my base, or start lighting sticks on fire if they were blocking the way or something. Archery shots from a longbow could possibly do 30 damage consistently, so 3 shotting them would be fine right? If they are in a pack, then just hope you are a good enough shot and don’t miss.
If you got a good gun, then I’m pretty sure you’re safe etc. A pistol or revolver is pretty much in the same boat as a bow.

TLDR - Use ranged weapons on demon snakes that spit hot blood[/quote]

something to note, if they are enraged you really cant do too much against them with regen+armor bonus and you might even make them even more pissed off:P also, they could have dens… :stuck_out_tongue: lakes of blood… Bad thoughts, bad thoughts

and while enraged i think it would be an appropriate ability
Drag- sprints at target at twice the speed, bite them and drag them 5 tiles in the direction towards the most blood

though ranged is very viable against them, melee gives you ability to attempt to protect yourself more from their onslaught . and if you have good evasion you could avoid the dangerous blood spit.

though if they are not enraged and not near blood, feel free to kill them. however you deem necessary.

and just for bad thoughts, being dragged into a lake of blood with 5 enraged blood adders

So how does ‘molten blood’ work? Heat damage, or acid damage? Will it harmlessly drip off you if you have thermal dissipation?

I don’t know about dragging you around, though. Nothing else in the game has that, and to implement it for this one creature would mean adding in a whole new mechanic. Plus you’d essentially be stunned and helpless while the snake drags you around, and people don’t like stunned states where all you can do is press the struggle button and hope you roll high enough to break out.

So basically they should have their dens spawning in bloody caverns aka ©aves.
Omg I am so excited and ready from someone to add them so I can die already!
Gonna have to find a RivTech gun for these suckers!

Oh yeah you can’t have the enemy teleport or “drag” you. It’s against the videogame rules. I’ll leave it at that.

Also, does the blood spit attack give you a temperature spike? I already guessed it should, since it would sequentially lower your overall speed by making you HOT.
Or is this going to be a status effect that bluntly lowers your speed?
Can you avoid the effect by having enough environmental protection if it is a status effect?

Does the spit effect even do any damage , or is it non-damage like a boomer’s bile?

Do the blood pools formed from the spitting attack give off high amounts of heat like fire? (I think this is the best way to go!)

[quote=“Inadequate, post:8, topic:4251”]So how does ‘molten blood’ work? Heat damage, or acid damage? Will it harmlessly drip off you if you have thermal dissipation?

I don’t know about dragging you around, though. Nothing else in the game has that, and to implement it for this one creature would mean adding in a whole new mechanic. Plus you’d essentially be stunned and helpless while the snake drags you around, and people don’t like stunned states where all you can do is press the struggle button and hope you roll high enough to break out.[/quote]

it would just be pure temperature rise that can cause heat damage, thermal dissipation would probably completely counter it as long as you have power. then power armor beast mode into them :P. though drag does seem alittle bit too powerful and kinda cheap, but one thing i could see there being a chance of them doing is a feign death to where they pretty much pretend to die and when you get near them they berserk on your face :stuck_out_tongue: and when they do you would get a message like “It’s not Dead!” where it would probably gain life equal to its regen.

Also, I think it picks up too many boosts when around blood. I think maybe you should cut it down to a straight attack boost. I mean, suppose you had a new character equipped with only a heavy stick take one on, and it spits blood directly in your face. Then it boosts itself up from the blood pool around you every turn, and now you’ve got a monster that attacks you multiple times a turn for increasing amounts of damage, and if you can land a hit on it you can’t outspeed its regeneration anyway.

Don’t overdo it on the gimmicks. Even the toughest monsters in the game at the moment only have a couple of them. I’d go with either the regeneration bonus or the attack bonus. In fact, I’d say go with the attack bonus, because you don’t want to make it too difficult for melee characters. A ranged character might be able to stay out of the way when it’s standing in blood, a melee character doesn’t have the luxury. And I’m not sure about the inflicting bleeding with every strike, bleeding wounds can add up a lot over time.

[quote=“Inadequate, post:11, topic:4251”]Also, I think it picks up too many boosts when around blood. I think maybe you should cut it down to a straight attack boost. I mean, suppose you had a new character equipped with only a heavy stick take one on, and it spits blood directly in your face. Then it boosts itself up from the blood pool around you every turn, and now you’ve got a monster that attacks you multiple times a turn for increasing amounts of damage, and if you can land a hit on it you can’t outspeed its regeneration anyway.

Don’t overdo it on the gimmicks. Even the toughest monsters in the game at the moment only have a couple of them. I’d go with either the regeneration bonus or the attack bonus. In fact, I’d say go with the attack bonus, because you don’t want to make it too difficult for melee characters. A ranged character might be able to stay out of the way when it’s standing in blood, a melee character doesn’t have the luxury.[/quote]

well, they would be rare, and if you see them they should be very easly kited if not near blood which would actually probably make them quite docile and it’s the players own fault for poking them in the face with a stick

Yes, but even the rarest monsters in the game don’t have as many gimmicks to them. Overload the monster and it’ll just be too annoying to even implement, cut it down to a manageable level and it’ll be interesting enough to add. I’d say try picking one defining gimmick and sticking with it.

And the scent of blood->spawn rate thing kind of contradicts the rarity of it. Either you have this rare netherworld creature that wallows in it’s own blood pool, or you have a common scavenger that appears at the site of large battles that’s mildly annoying, but not that much of a major threat unless you get swarmed. If you want a rare but threatening monster, you should probably take out the spawning thing.

they wouldn’t actually need the armor or regen, but the speed is a must. and i think a feign death on them would be so they are not completely helpless against ranged characters for they still may have to melee them.

To be blunt, the feign death thing is stewpid.
It should already have decent armor with its nether scales. More mass, more hp. Giant versions obviously would be tougher.
Anything in the game, except for skeletons, are weak to bullets. Snakes are no exception.
The speed thing? I guess I won’t criticize that for now.

If you’re going with speed over armour, then you should probably go with the scavenger route, making them more like rats, rather than a rare creature. And even if you want to pose a challenge to ranged characters, I’m not sure the feign death thing works like you imagine it would. At best it gets in one good hit, then the character shoots it point blank in the face, and makes a mental note to avoid corpses next time. If you really want, you could just use the flag that skeletons and smokers have that makes them hard to hit with ranged weapons. It’s a long, thin creature so it wouldn’t be that hard to justify.

If you’re committed, you could implement both versions. Have small scavenger snakes that spawn around blood splatters and rotten meat. Have them be relatively peaceful unless the player is bleeding, in which case they turn hostile. I’m not sure how that would be implemented, though, you’d need to add an extra flag to scent, maybe. Maybe this common variant has the blood spit and hard to hit flag, but not much else. Giant blood snakes would be rare, found largely within their blood caves. You could go whole hog on their armour and health, with the exception of the hard to hit flag because they’re huge. They’d probably hit slower, though.

I would admire the hard to hit nether scavenger route because there is not enough in this game as of now to remind you (the player) that the apocalypse is basically inter-dimensional leakage.

Come to think of it, there is an item that allows you to draw out your own blood in hospitals, isn’t there? Maybe drawing out your blood and offering it to a blood snake tames them. Or it makes them angrier, who can say. Either way, there should be some sort of interaction.

Hang on, is this a special property of its regurgitated blood, or are you saying normal old mundane blood heats up after it leaves your body?

I assume he means the creature? Fairly certain regular blood doesn’t heat up to boiling temperatures when taken, after all. Kind of a weird way to phrase it though.