Blazemod Modernization

I just want a working Blazemod, not sure if I m in the right place :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

There’s already parts of blazemod not working either correctly or at all (I’m looking at you, gelectrodes)- simply because it isn’t crashing the game doesn’t mean it’s still in a good state. I intend to bring it back to a okay state and slowly change it into a bigger, better mod. If you like it as it is without any changes, goat has a repo on another thread around here that’s just been adjusted to not crash, basically the state it’s been in for quite some time.

I’m trying for an organic growth of blazemod into something bigger and better than it was before, taking player input and keeping what they want out of blazemod in mind, and hopefully delivering that and more.

Thanks for the info. I try that version while wait for yours.
My chars dont last much and I replay a lot, always trying more mods.

1 Like

1 and 2:
Not really fussed, If I want to keep a save I usually keep a copy of the game I was playing it on anyway
3 and 4:
Never really used them but I’m glad they are there, it was always something I’d thought about giving a go at some point.
5:
Yeah I’ve used them before, I didn’t really thing they were OP since fitting them coherently into a vehicle could be a bit of a challenge since they occupied a whole space on the vehicle and they required quite a bit of sourcing for parts. It’s not really like you need them or solar panels at all really but it was something nice to gun for.
6: Sounds like a good idea.

I know it might be controversal but sometimes it’s nice to have the option for “OP” stuff, it doesn’t mean you’ll always use it or even that you’ll ever use it but every now and again it’s nice to indulge. Sort of like turbo lasers and such, just cos it’s there doesn’t mean you’ll always decide to use them.
Gating them behind a book would be better imo then nerfing them via self damage, you’ll either be able to repair it anyway and just be increasing busy work or you won’t and there’ll be no point bothing with them.

6 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll admit that the turbo laser is an excellent example of the sort of thing I want to keep- it’s not particularly that I want to remove strong options, simply have some sort of drawback or quirk in the old rogue-like spirit. Options, rather than direct upgrades over everything that completely overwhelm any other choice.

3 Likes

how can i use blazemod? is it really unplayable because its obsolete??

1 Like

A good amount of the repo mods (mods available with the default download of CDDA from CleverRaven) have had the obsolete field added to them, which makes them not show up in the world options, but a world that already has them can still have them. Once they get deleted from the repo however, you would no longer be able to play that save with any obsoleted mods that were removed- unless you replace them.

You can for now however go into the mod’s folder and remove the "obsolete": true field, or change it to false. You’d have to do this each time you updated your game, however.

i can do that on all obsolete mods right?

1 Like

That is correct. To note, blazemod shows up as “Vehicle Additions” in-game.

So are you now the new maintainer to the VA/Blazemod? Or are you working on a parallel mod that is just modernizing the current mod? To be honest, I wasn’t even aware VA was massively obsolete/outdated.

1 Like

if you want quickness check out this post or download this and put all folders into your cdda/data/mods

1 Like

The best way to explain it is that I’m picking up where blazemod left off. Much of blazemod is in an unfinished or unstable state, and some of the things that were unquestionably cool and working already got mainlined (rams for example). Compare what I’m doing to Aftershock being a spiritual and literal successor to Bright/er nights and turning it from a small re/additions mod into a fully featured expansion of its own.

So it will build on blazemod but improve on how all of its content is delivered so that it is a lot less out of place in the cataclysm, removing and cannibalising certain features as needs demand while trying to add even more.

To iterate further, the only thing I’ve removed so far in the initial rework are redundant turrets; also the vehicle parts associated with the blob part “glowie”, and even then I’ve just replaced them with alternatives that fill the same function (and more) but work.

3 Likes

Sweet! Amazing in fact! I’m glad that blazemod is getting some love and growing to be even better.

But I’m currently playing 10343, and I can’t seem to find it along with a bunch of other mods that were there before like Safe Autodoc, Classic RPG classes, etc. Does anyone know what happened there?

1 Like

There is an in depth answer a few posts above you:

2 Likes

Ah, sorry. I didn’t really realize what was being said. Thanks for elaborating.

1 Like

Might aswell get my two cents in, given how all my games use this thing.

1. If needs must
  2. I am ambivalent
  3. I have never bothered using them
  4. I dont, so cannot have a relevant opinion.
  5. They are used all the time for base power. Making them even harder to move might be nice, although otherwise they seem fine to me.
  6. That sounds like something fun to go looking for. I can see some being an either/or situation, with natural unlocks at high levels or a book at lower levels of skill.

Some of the things I think are overlooked some are things like insulated tanks/storage, larger versions of the fridge, perhaps a warming-type equivalent for the fridge, and otherwise… Quality of life features like a larger version of the street sweeper, automatic reloading systems for turrets, the ability to automatically shift stuff from one container to another… Well, thats all the nonsense I can think of at the moment.

1 Like
  1. Don’t care.
  2. Don’t care.
  3. Yes, it should be reworked tho.
  4. Never used them cause find them lacking, i think they should be reworked or removed.
  5. I didn’t use them cause i usually build tiny vehicles and (at least in the versions i’ve played) the part occupied and entire space of the vehicle and weighted a ton, but i don’t ever see them as overpowered or they need a rebalance.
  6. Made this post for this point. I remeber on earlier versions of blazemod the blob itself was like a book with recipes, crafting and progressing through tiers of blobs gave you the knowledge on next steps to make and new things to craft. It would be nice to gate the mod progression arround experiments and not on rare books. Maybe another option is recipes for materials needed to start blazeparts in more common found books, or rare blob drops loot needed. And you can have some kind of failed experiments that spawn hostlile slimes too.
    I remember the first time i was crafting blob parts and don’t knowing about them, enclosing them in the bathroom of the home i was using in case they went wild or something.

I do think that blaze blobs in all versions i’ve played, from the descriptions on how they work, could have been rearanged into simple tools (hammer, wrench, crowbar) traps and weapons (pebbles, a blade, a spear, a whip, and maybe some kind of shoes or hat/helmet) and most blobbed back into the original form when needed. This could give you special tools to progress to next blob part tiers.

I think they also had weird mechanics arround the time used to install or remove parts, all fixed ammounts equal for every action, they should have different install times depending on the part and maybe tier.

And one more thing, it would be great if blob tiers were more distinct from eachother, like the middle tier being super fragile but super light, a tier that specifically repairs itself rapidly, or different tiers needed to craft things. Each tier having a container part with different capacity is good, but the same wheel on every tier with a bit more durability was bland, maybe to build a blob wheel you need 2 basic and 1 mid tier, and a better version blob wheel needing 1 mid and 1 high tier.

1 Like

Sorry for the late response, been a fun last few months. Anywho, thank you for your feedback. I was definitely thinking of trying to make the “tiers” more interesting, though half the difficulty is trying to make a functional vehicle with just one tier.

As it currently stands, you’re locked out of a complete vehicle because the main “heart” requires a 3rd tier derived part. Splitting it into themes perhaps, like mutating parts into regenerating ones like you mentioned, similar to the ice themed stuff is a path to go.

3 Likes

I’d love to see this mod resurrected and modernized, is this still happening?

1 Like

Yes! The old blazemod was shelved off-repo once I finished the groundwork, the new mod is called Blaze Industries and I’ve just done a new post detailing what’s happened and where it’s going. Find it here.

1 Like