Best character build for beginners? And early routine?

Yeah, spitters are extremely annoying. I can deal with hard zombies, but gear damage isn’t hard, just anti-fun.
Maybe if their acid was changed to “enzymes” that only damage organic matter (and bypass non-watertight gear completely) their role would be less of an annoyance and more of a danger. Would also make all the rubber gear useful for something besides plastic chunks.

Realistically they’d be nearly immune to slicing weapons (katanas, nodachis - all the best anti-hulk melee stuff) and light bashing stuff, highly resistant to chopping weapons (all sorts of axes) and big bashing stuff (sledgehammer, mace) and only vulnerable to spears and pikes. And other unimplemented piercing weapons like estocs and war hammers (I know a “war hammer” is in, but it’s not a war hammer - it’s a “war sledge hammer”, war hammers look more like picks).
Broadsword could probably work too, but it would have to become a piercing weapon for it to work (and the choice of whether to use cut/pierce would have to depend on target’s armor).

Before firearms, bears were hunted using spears. Bear’s aggressive behavior was exploited by placing the spear in its way when it attacked. That way the hunter wouldn’t need enough strength to break the tough hide, only to hold the spear against the ground while bear leaned against it.
Since hulks are probably dumb and very aggressive, similar tactic could be developed by crafty survivors.

By a crafty survivor with a very durable spear like weapon.

I agree that slicing thick hide with a katana at average strength is realy hard.
And even with higher strength ist not that easy as the weapon itself is pretty light.
The danger of your piercing weapon getting stuck in a massive creature like a hulk without killing it would also be very high.

Katanas are great, but I find myself adoring the combat knife or perhaps an RM42 fighting knife if I can get my hands on one of those. In combination with Pentajack Silat and a high DEX, a knife easily dispatches of hulks when you have a STR of about 10, and in the right armour you’ll be able to take out a jabberwock; serious injuries may be applied in the process however.

Knife master race. Low moves per attack is always one of the main things I look out for. I would like a katana if it worked with Silat, but unfortunately not. So fighting knife all the way! [And mono blade if I can actually get it.]

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:13, topic:8091”]My debug build I use to argue about how hulks, mi-gos etc. aren’t hard and anyone complaining just needs to git gud:

[size=10pt]git gud: the build[/size]

Stats:
STR 8
DEX 20
INT 8
PER 8

Traits: whatever you want that doesn’t impair melee

Scenario and profession: default

Skills: none

How to play: drop winter cloak, craft a pointy stick, debug in a hulk, mi-go etc. and look how little can it do against you.[/quote]

That went about how I expected it to.

To be fair I’m tipsy and didn’t bother using obstacles or anything. They’re still dangerous though.

Anyway, only guaranteed trait I take is wool allergy. You can use that one point in tailoring if you like, and completely render wool items useless. I would remove the trait really, but while it’s there I will use it for a free-ish point (once in a blue moon I find a wool piece of clothing and think aw I could use that).

Yeah, I have that trait and sometimes I’ll get an artifact I can’t wear because it’s made of wool.