Base building

I know I asked about this a few weeks back in the Tits, Dicks, and Nude Questions thread, but considering the major changes in some of the construction recipes I figured this subject could use some more in-depth discussion.

For starters, now that palisade walls block sight, has there been added a new block that allows you to see over the walls? If not, then what could be used in place of them? Specifically, what construction item blocks movement but not sight, is comparably resistant to damage, and can be shot through without damaging the structure?

I don’t remember if you can make them off the top of my head, but a barred window frame fits those conditions. Reasonably resistant to damage, can be shot through, and gives clear vision.

Hmm, a bit immersion breaking, but if it tits the bill…

Alternatively, is there a way to edit palisade walls so that they no longer block sight and projectiles?

If I’m reading the json correctly yes. You’ll need a json editor (I use JSONEDIT JSONedit - JSON editor ) and you will need to go to the following path in your CDDA folder: *cddafoldernamehere\data\json. Then, in your JSON editor, locate the terrain.json. Find palisade (The search function for palisade should put you right at it). Add the tags “TRANSPARENT” and “PERMEABLE” inside the brackets, with a comma separating them from the other tags. That should (again, I’m looking at metal bars for a reference here) make palisades do what you want them to.

Great thanks for the tits, err, tips. If I can’t convince the devs to change palisade walls back to the way they were before then I will probably edit them myself.

What would be nice would be some way of making them work like DF arrow slits - when you are adjacent to them, they are entirely permeable, but the farther you get from them, the more likely they are to block any shot passing through them. That’s what good battlements do.

You want fences. Your best bet is probably barbed wire fences, like in the FEMA camps. You can tear those down for plenty of barbed wire. That’s probably the easiest way to get lots, but if you can’t find that, you could tear down a basketball court park and manually make barbed wire with Construction 1.

To make your own fences, build a fence post, examine it, and choose which kind you want.

[quote=“jokermatt999, post:8, topic:12850”]You want fences. Your best bet is probably barbed wire fences, like in the FEMA camps. You can tear those down for plenty of barbed wire. That’s probably the easiest way to get lots, but if you can’t find that, you could tear down a basketball court park and manually make barbed wire with Construction 1.

To make your own fences, build a fence post, examine it, and choose which kind you want.[/quote]

Except that fences are WEAK. Seriously, two regular zombies get through that in no time (maybe even one).

He’s talking about making something that will actually stop regular zombies, like palisade walls, but let you see and shoot through them like fences.

Of course, when z levels are working fully, I suppose you could use palisade walls, then stand on them to shoot the zombies…

What would be nice would be some way of making them work like DF arrow slits - when you are adjacent to them, they are entirely permeable, but the farther you get from them, the more likely they are to block any shot passing through them. That’s what good battlements do.[/quote]yes that would be even better than the way they used to be, the ability to add firing ports to an existing wall would be great!