Awfully wet boats

So having completed my first stupidly oversized boat I was met with disappointment:

All of my “boat’s” tiles are considered ‘wet’ which makes keeping anything that can ruston it a bit of a bitch. Among other wet related issues

Did the player itself get wet?

So far, just me has gotten wet. I haven’t noticed any items getting water damage yet though, still working on that part.

I’ve uploaded the world in a RAR. Here yah go, I can’t deal with this anymore.

Item rusting is generally a bad idea.
Swimming requires a large investment already: grinding the skill, dropping 98% of equipment every time, using specialized ranged weapons. Not one of those is hard, they are just the epitome of tedium.
Low item damage on some items isn’t even realistic - it’s not like that axe is suddenly going to rust in water. Armor could eventually rust if left wet for a long time, but not from a single day of soaking in water. Additionally, many rustable items aren’t even of the type that cares about damage - batteries are “ammo” and thus fixing them is a matter of loading and reloading an item.

I don’t really see a reason for this feature to exist and I see a good reason for it not to.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:4, topic:7877”]Item rusting is generally a bad idea.
Swimming requires a large investment already: grinding the skill, dropping 98% of equipment every time, using specialized ranged weapons. Not one of those is hard, they are just the epitome of tedium.
Low item damage on some items isn’t even realistic - it’s not like that axe is suddenly going to rust in water. Armor could eventually rust if left wet for a long time, but not from a single day of soaking in water. Additionally, many rustable items aren’t even of the type that cares about damage - batteries are “ammo” and thus fixing them is a matter of loading and reloading an item.

I don’t really see a reason for this feature to exist and I see a good reason for it not to.[/quote]

To an extent, apparently, I broke the ‘rust’ feature to a degree awhile back when I made items that should be made of steel that were iron… steel it broke the rust feature, somewhat. I don’t know if it’s completely broken or not.

Wait what? Items rust now?

Items rusted way back before the DDA-fork even started. Even Whales had forgotten that it was coded in.

I’ve never had a item rust on me. How does it happen?

Swimming. Deep water diving wasn’t implemented at the time, so it might not happen while diving.

Leaving items out in the rain/snow, throwing them into bodies of water, or carrying them with you while you swim.

It’s not perfect now, but it used to be far worse. I reduced the rate of occurrence a good while back; when I first looked over the rust system, iron and steel items would rust one level of damage every few turns out in the rain, and when sufficiently damaged they would evaporate entirely. Now it’s not nearly as rapid, and the items shouldn’t ever disintegrate due to rain now.