Autopilots are interesting

Decided to try out autopilots, as I was curious how they worked in game and if there was some kind of potential hack or workaround there for allowing NPCs to drive. I’ll have to try them again in a more serious game as opposed to just a test round. I had to have a Vehicle Remote Controller CBM (or whatever it’s called), Programmable Autopilot and Drive-by-Wire Controls both installed in the vehicle. Worked out rather well. The Follow command was what piqued my interest. Once I got it working, I got my vehicle following me around like a multi-ton steel puppy. Bit wonky, it tends to shut off and need to be reactivated whenever it meets any obstacle, but the possibilities for looting (your loot train cart follows you!) and fire support (confirmed that auto-target turrets do work when it’s in Follow mode) are interesting. And I got an NPC to guard in the vehicle, so they tagged along for the ride. Of course they hopped out in the middle of town and died to a swarm of zombies, but that’s what happens when you’re testing stuff out.
(I was originally wondering if you could have a virtual tool like CBMs and a lot of mutations and spells do that could have the Autopilot function on it, because if you could do that you’d be able to get an NPC to drive in a limited capacity by dialogue option that gives them the tool, but finally remembered that wouldn’t work because the Autopilot is a vehicle part property and not a general tool like a drill or hacksaw)

Sounds like normal NPC behavior and outcome to me, even outside of testing…
To be honest, going by the behavior of some beings during the ongoing pandemic I’d say the NPCs emulate real humans really well :smirk: .

1 Like

True, true. I once had an NPC who got both his arms and legs broken, and instead of retreating he went to fight a skelejugg nearby. Or a hulk, something like that. Mind you, that wasn’t even anywhere near our base where other could probably help him, that was in a middle of a city :rofl:

1 Like