Auto running (?) north

So i’ve installed a stable 0.A version of the game on my new computer (Win7 x64). It launched with a small error with game menu (everything was replaced with [] symbols instead of words). I’ve found out that you need to remove “lang” folder from your game folder. I did it and everything went well in the menu.

When I created my character and started playing i’ve noticed I can’t move south for some reason. When I tried to move east and my character just bashed the door open and ran into the forest wild and untamed. To the north. As much as I remember there were no auto-run options (or maybe there is, I haven’t played a while really) so I believe it’s not ingame controls bug. So… Any ideas how to tame my character, because he’s still running north, his legs sore and t-shirt wobbling in the wind, running towards first town, running towards first victory (or certain death).

There is one auto run feature, which is based on mouse clicks, alternately if you have a malfunctioning gamepad attached to the system that might be causing it. I’ve never run into anything similar caused by the game itself.

I do have my joystick (Defender Cobra M5) drivers installed, but the joystick wasn’t plugged in when I was playing. Could it be caused by the drivers itself?

I could certainly imagine malfunctioning drivers outputting signal with no attached joystick.
Try this, open data/raw/keybindings.json and find the entry like:

{
                "input_method":"gamepad",
                "key":"JOY_UP"
            }

and delete it, and this is very important, also the comma on the previous line.
If the joystick is the problem, removing that block should prevent it from happening anymore.

I did this and nothing changed. But I did notice that when I just move my mouse around I get ingame message “Unknown command: ’ ’ xover9000”. So guess it is really something with mouse/joy input.

Then I tried plugging my joy’s USB. And it worked — game controls have been restored, although when I hover my mouse over different tiles I get a description window, like i’ve been using “look around” key. Is that supposed to be ok? A new feature or something?

Anyway, the game ran fine, until I plugged my joy out again. Controls remained fine until i’ve restarted the game — it went all messy again.

Description on mouse over is intended behavior, its a method for quickly looking at a bunch of tiles. In recent builds of the game it even gave you -more- information about items on the ground than using ‘x’ to look around with. That might be a bug/oversight though, not sure how that might change in the future.

Thanks for the tip. Still can’t play with my joy unplugged tho. And I get these infinite messages when I move my mouse around.
(it’s not really a problem, since I can actually play, but I want to fix it anyway. It just looks weird and I don’t want any conflicting software with my games)

As it seems you are the only one we know who has this problem. Would you be open to testing for us?

Sure, why not.

Sorry to spam, but reading that was hilarous.

This may seem to be funny, but my character isn’t Forrest Gump, he can’t run indefinitely.

Another small update — I think all this mess could be caused by virtual joy drivers (I use them to adjust pitch/yaw/roll via external program, but aside from that those drivers are never used). I don’t want to delete them though. And I can’t find any info about fixing it manipulating with my system’s software.

Assuming you are using windows, are you able to temporarily disable the joystick device through device manager to see if that resolves the issue?

I’m really not sure what we can do about it, your joystick drivers are feeding us bad data. maybe we can have an option to ignore joystick input, but considering that disabling the config didn’t work, I’m a little worried that something lower level is happening.
is your player running due north, or at an angle? Regardless, try nuking all the entries in that keybindings file that mention gamepad, maybe it’s triggering one of the other ones.

I can’t even find the joystick device when it’s unplugged. And I have all those problems exactly when it is.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:13, topic:5571”]I’m really not sure what we can do about it, your joystick drivers are feeding us bad data. maybe we can have an option to ignore joystick input, but considering that disabling the config didn’t work, I’m a little worried that something lower level is happening.
is your player running due north, or at an angle? Regardless, try nuking all the entries in that keybindings file that mention gamepad, maybe it’s triggering one of the other ones.[/quote]

Just north, no angles. Like it’s pressing UP or 8 constantly. I deleted everything considering JOY buttons and “gamepad” input from the .json file, but that didn’t work either.

I don’t want to be a nuisance tho, so if it’s something that I have to fix on my side, then I’ll do it. I could just play with joystick plugged or try deleting virtual drivers or curves editor. So if you’re outta ideas might as well close the thread.