An end to Pain

Ah, the famous ‘realism should be adhered to, except when I don’t like it’ argument. I can’t imagine why nobody has ever tried using that in an argument before.

maybe if you’re in combat (i.e. hostile creatures close enough to trigger the “stop reading/crafting/waiting?” message) you have a higher tolerance of pain before passing out to simulate adrenaline. so normally you would pass out at 100 pain, but if, say you have a zombear on your ass you wouldn’t suffer any speed penalty or pass out until you reach say, 150 or 200 pain, at which point you would pass out. once you reached, say, 500 pain you’d go into shock and die.

as for depression, once you reach a certain level of negative morale you would curl up into the fetal position until it went down. the difference between that and fainting would be that you would still have access to your inventory so you could pop some pills or a beer.

I never said that.

Yeah pain is weird. My character had over 400 pain, but there were no real consequences. High pain should result in loss of conscious and/or screaming (making noise); really, really high pain on the other hand could use some more threatening consequences. I am not really a fan of the instadeath variant, but perhaps giving a small but permanent malus (because of all the trauma) which could result in your death if you stack a couple of them.

100 pain is a bit too low to pass out. You can negate that with what, 2 or 3 decent painkillers?

I chose instadeath as a suggestion because it is a bit easier to implement :D.

Passing out also works, but is a bit harder I think. Currently the only thing that happens is that you fall down as your weight becomes to much for your negative stats to carry (which is also odd, having -49 str).

No! Cata has no insta deaths. The devs give the player time/a choice to think about what you’re doing first.

First you claim it’s unrealistic, then you say we should forget about realism and think about what makes a good game, despite the fact that you don’t understand the basic tenets of the game you’re discussing. At this point, why not just admit that you want to make the game harder for no good reason? Considering the crowd around here, you’d probably receive a standing ovation.

“Realism should be emulated, except where it makes for bad gameplay” is a pretty good principle for a game like this. “Let’s make this more realistic, but no so realistic that it ceases to be fun” sounds like a good kind of suggestion.

That said, having pain kill you is worse gameplay than the status quo and isn’t more realistic anyway. Instant deaths from non-hp sources may be staples of the roguelike genre, but that’s largely because a lot of the classic roguelikes have some pretty bad design choices.

Stop making stuff up.

I said it was a bad mechanic that it did not directly hurt you. With the right gear pain high has not effect. And does not get you killed. I referenced realism because Aether Veritatis brought up how pain works in the real world (thanks, I liked it, should have been more clear that I was referencing that). I only said the real world is a bad game.

And could you now stop please with the personal attacks? I know what the game is about. Come back when you have submitted code/issues, or worked on the wiki, before you say I do not understand the game.

And yeah I want to make the game harder. I dislike that there are only two fail conditions (hp of torso/head being reduced to zero), or death by food clock. And that pain is currently totally disconnected from any of these at high level end game play.

And I do not consider realism important. Never have. I think the whole discussion about ‘it should be more realistic’ is stale and the wrong one. It should be interesting, or fun, or horrible, or nintendo hard, etc. But realistic. Meh. Not a valid reason for a game mechanic. (Like I said before in the steroids topic, I know steroids do not work that way in real life, but would be an interesting addition).

"Realism should be emulated, except where it makes for bad gameplay" is a pretty good principle for a game like this.
Sounds reasonable enough.

And yeah people do not like the instant death thing. I don’t like the passing out because you are then still at the mercy of any monsters around you for which you might be invulnerable. (as high gear tends to do). At least it would drop your dodge down to zero. Or it should, no idea if there is a passing out effect now in the game. (you can be busy that I know, or asleep, but those still let you dodge).

I agree with both of these quotes to varying degrees. Realism makes an excellent basis for the game, but what’s fun is the ultimate deciding factor in a lot of our decisions.

The delicate balance of difficulty within the game is always a contentious issue, but Soyweiser’s contributions to the game (and knowledge thereof) are not. I’d be willing to go so far as to say that he/she groks the tenets of the game quite thoroughly, and the constant stream of fresh code and bugfixes that he/she produces is awesome. Good job, Soyweiser!

[quote=“HunterAlpha1, post:22, topic:5041”]maybe if you’re in combat (i.e. hostile creatures close enough to trigger the “stop reading/crafting/waiting?” message) you have a higher tolerance of pain before passing out to simulate adrenaline. so normally you would pass out at 100 pain, but if, say you have a zombear on your ass you wouldn’t suffer any speed penalty or pass out until you reach say, 150 or 200 pain, at which point you would pass out. once you reached, say, 500 pain you’d go into shock and die.

as for depression, once you reach a certain level of negative morale you would curl up into the fetal position until it went down. the difference between that and fainting would be that you would still have access to your inventory so you could pop some pills or a beer.[/quote]

I like those ideas.

[quote=“Zireael, post:32, topic:5041”][quote=“HunterAlpha1, post:22, topic:5041”]maybe if you’re in combat (i.e. hostile creatures close enough to trigger the “stop reading/crafting/waiting?” message) you have a higher tolerance of pain before passing out to simulate adrenaline. so normally you would pass out at 100 pain, but if, say you have a zombear on your ass you wouldn’t suffer any speed penalty or pass out until you reach say, 150 or 200 pain, at which point you would pass out. once you reached, say, 500 pain you’d go into shock and die.

as for depression, once you reach a certain level of negative morale you would curl up into the fetal position until it went down. the difference between that and fainting would be that you would still have access to your inventory so you could pop some pills or a beer.[/quote]

I like those ideas.[/quote]

Not so sure about the fetal position thing, but the high danger higher pain tolerance thing is interesting. But a bit hard to simulate and probably pretty easy to ‘game’ (as in abuse) ingame.