Additional Butcher Products

This is pretty much the way I see this. Unless you have plans to add a fair number of recipes to utilize this, it seems that all you are doing is creating more clutter for the player to sift through because now they have a list of 12 or so organs instead of just “meat (12)”.[/quote]
Have you seen the recipe ideas thrown out upthread?[/quote]
Yep, and so far there seems to be good ideas for the liver and the intestines, but everything else seems to just be “and then can be eaten alone or replace meat in other dishes” (i.e. function exactly the same as meat). If people come up with good, unique recipes for the other things they could probably go in as well. Skulls I could certainly see going in and some of the bone recipes. What I don’t see going in is magical mystery stat functions from eating hearts/brains. That doesn’t work, not even in the Cataclysm world. :stuck_out_tongue:

Unless giblets was somehow made into like, the Old Maid card of food items (you don’t want it and it sucks to have to eat it), it is still basically redundant. It also assumes giblets are universally gross, and I for one think fried up chicken hearts and liver bits are delicious as heck, so. Enh. Let’s focus on making several good recipes for a few, rather than a few recipes for many.

Can we do anything unique with hearts for a recipe? I am not coming up with anything beyond maybe stuffing them with veggies due to their unique shape haha.

Brains have quite a lot of fat content in them, I wonder if they could be used for getting more lard? Still redundant, but at least chunks of fat drop significantly less often than meat. This still doesn’t seem enough to warrant their inclusion. (My issue with getting a hold of lard or tallow has more to do with the fact I don’t collect any runoff grease from cooking meat like irl. Adding roundabout items does not seem a smart way to address this thought.) tl;dr tangent where Edmund wants more delicious fats for frying.

Frankly, I live in a pasty part of north american society where offal is generally considered awful. Or very cheap, depending on your perspective and pickyness. Either way, I’m at a disadvantage for recipes off the top of my head here. Well, besides liver, which my family does actually eat fairly often. This does raise a problem though: Bear livers. I know the old tale about polar bear livers being so full of viamin A that it can kill you (hypervitaminosis), but I don’t know if this holds true for other types of bears. Or if it’s an issue with carnivore livers even.

This is pretty much the way I see this. Unless you have plans to add a fair number of recipes to utilize this, it seems that all you are doing is creating more clutter for the player to sift through because now they have a list of 12 or so organs instead of just "meat (12)".

Yeah, I certainly agree, that overcomplicating things just for the sake of stuff is not a good idea.

Another thing I’d like to point out that I had in mind when making this post (but I forgot to mention), is that currently you can just live off of forest critters for a really long time with “unrealistically” little effort:

1. Kill the animal (takes some doing, but once you’re there you’re good)
  2. Butcher it. Easy.
  3. Make a stick and a fire and voila, you have more enjoyable (!) food ready than you can eat.

Replacing some of that “easy” meat with organs that might not be as enjoyable as cooked meat can perhaps also balance this some more. Also, large parts of the “meat” of the animal can be really gross to us civilizes humans, yet we still get a good morale bonus simply by putting it on a stick and holding it in the fire until it’s good.

So, score one for giblets and offal being unwanted but better-than-nothing edibles, adding to the challenge of food-gathering. I suppose it’s up there with how frustrating I find making food when all I have to eat is dried herbs on hand.