Acid Rain: Pain is worse than death

So you walk around with a lye-coated sweater, and protect yourself from acid rain? The only way this could work is with a full-body waterproof baseproof suit, which would already protect you from the acid rain in the first place. And that’s not even getting into the logistical implications of walking around in a lye-covered suit all day.

sounds like !!FUN!!

Sig’d

This is a real thing with petroleum jelly. In fact I think I read about it here somewhere. Add a waterproofing disease for x hours when you apply tallow for example.

You still would have died, Bone, if you did not have tallow. I think these are all great suggestions, but they have gotten away from the topic. Is 50+ pain the best way to represent being caught in acid rain? Maybe the issue is that it does not affect the zombies so it felt a little cheap because of that.

I liked old acid rain.
It just needs to take clothing coverage into account and the clothing would absorb some damage too.

Covering yourself in something basic, like, say, lye powder… Will NOT, let me repeat for legal liability, will NOT… allow you to survive acid rain.

Covering yourself in something basic, like, say, lye powder… Will NOT, let me repeat for legal liability, will NOT… allow you to survive acid rain.[/quote]
Honestly?
Realism should take a backseat to gameplay.
WE ARE FIGHTING HORDES OF ELDRITCH GOO ZOMBIES FOR GRENADE’S SAKE!

We could be fighting hordes of magical ghost dragons that eat love and breathe thunder, and covering yourself with flesh-burning lye would still be a colossally dumb idea.

Yeah this shouldn’t even be an issue, unless we want the player to be able to apply lye just for kicks as it would do literally nothing. Have you not seen Fight Club:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfDVLsBXYcM

That is lye, and you want to be able to stand outside in rain (acid or not) with that all over you!? admittedly, the Fight Club scene was a massive exaggeration with that much moisture/time, but 10 minutes plus loads of water…

BACK TO THE TOPIC AT HAND:
Pain is fine, although I’d prefer it to be more graduated and perhaps cause some additional effects (I’m not quite sure what). Pain is pretty easy to remedy with pain killers. You can just wait somewhere safe, chuck some drugs and be on your way. Possibly if there was ‘burnt skin’ or something which had a penalty?

Thing is acid doesn’t burn your skin, it melts it.

If it melts you it wouldn’t you be able to apply petroleum jelly to reduce pain gain from chafing?

What of some sort of exponential pain gain? The more holes that your skin has the more surface area that you have to burn? If you have less than 5 pain then it is set to five, otherwise +20%?

Mmm, I love the smell of sweet necro.