A challange/Roleplay

Ok ill get strait to the point

alright i have searched the internet for challanges for CDDA like missions (one’s you can acctully complete)
the ones from NPC are good butt when they say a monster is here its not even there and i can never find it

either way what about a CDDA MISSION like go find an NPC then that NPC (pretending) will give a mission like bring me 30 food of random kinds but NO sweets or go kill 50 zombies or go to another town and scout the parimeter ya know what im saying and evey time you complete a mission you can use say a pistol now or can eat milk (if possible) or can board windows now so the player has to do missions to unlock things you can use ya know what i mean (if you don’t check the link below) and remember just to pretend in ya know what i mean :slight_smile:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/minecraft-discussion/survival-mode/297060-challenge-the-mercenary

This was a bit hard to read, as you were rambling with no real structure. Saying ‘ya know what i mean’ doesn’t help.

But what I suppose that the point you’re trying to make is that you want more quests or something. If it really bothers you, go ahead and mod it yourself and make a more coherent post in ‘The Drawing Board’ section of the fourm.

Sorry if English isn’t your first language or something.

its hard to understand what you mean but if i understand you that sugestion for self created challenge is interesing but i do not know if this fits greatly in cata dda, you have to learn everything anyway

Yeah, sure, missions are fun. Someone made this cool thing; http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=9513.0

Not sure if that helps you??

I prefer the idea of making it so that different classes of characters are unlocked by meeting playthrough requirements. For example (in a fully finished version) you start off with one crappy character build available, and maybe a couple scenarios. You unlock better (more advantageous) characters/ scenarios by completing the requirement s for them
EX: survive your first day: unlock build 2, survive first week: character 3 First mutation: 1st mutant start class, finish 1st day with mutant: unlock mutant start build 2 etc…

obviously this won’t work for the current uncompleted version, what with frequent updates that often end up resetting an un-careful persons progress and what not. But it would be a good way to add story, several stories. Throwing in a couple custom builds here and there to be unlocked with more and more stat points available and larger maximums for later custom builds.

[quote=“Litppunk, post:5, topic:11576”]I prefer the idea of making it so that different classes of characters are unlocked by meeting playthrough requirements. For example (in a fully finished version) you start off with one crappy character build available, and maybe a couple scenarios. You unlock better (more advantageous) characters/ scenarios by completing the requirement s for them
EX: survive your first day: unlock build 2, survive first week: character 3 First mutation: 1st mutant start class, finish 1st day with mutant: unlock mutant start build 2 etc…

obviously this won’t work for the current uncompleted version, what with frequent updates that often end up resetting an un-careful persons progress and what not. But it would be a good way to add story, several stories. Throwing in a couple custom builds here and there to be unlocked with more and more stat points available and larger maximums for later custom builds.[/quote]

I kind of don’t like that idea because it pointlessly locks you out of character creation options at the cost of a loss of character exploration. You can’t choose between playing a gun toting maniac, or an epic mechanic, or a crazy scientist, or a crack addict, or a priest, or a neanderthal. Also, it would add a rather weird mechanic of let’s make the game harder at the start but way easier to play later on, when it should be the other way around.

certainly understandable viewpoints however:

locks you out of character creation options at the cost of a loss of character exploration.
Well at first yes, this is actually an idea for a game (I hope to make in the far off future) based around inter-dimensional travel, time jumping, universes with alternate physics that make "the world go round" via "natural," "magical," or our "technological" laws of physics. But it fit with what was being said so I figured I would toss it out there. The game I imagine would have a "traveling soul" that has been granted by a god figure, allowing you to take some of the old traits from the recently killed/died character to your next character, opening the possible skill tree more and more as you progress through your "lives"

For CDDA purposes it would probably be more like an alternate mode, an unlock the game type of thing. Could be fun. Would allow for reasonable addition of OP start characters if you have built your way up to them.

You can't choose between playing a gun toting maniac, or an epic mechanic, or a crazy scientist, or a crack addict, or a priest, or a neanderthal.
Um... not at first? There is no reason that all currently available builds could not find their place in this system.
Also, it would add a rather weird mechanic of let's make the game harder at the start but way easier to play later on, when it should be the other way around.
Leveling much? Seriously the idea behind most leveling type gaming is that the game becomes easier if you properly level. That ease is then taken back via scaling enemies that force you to be efficient stat balancing/character balancing, increasingly complicated combos/ other player complexity to effectively utilize, and/or new areas available for travel, possible to access because of the ability to face the stronger monsters there the player now has the ability to defeat.

I don’t think putting the player through a funnel is the kind of feeling of progression you’re looking for. People do not like to feel held back. Forcing the player to replay does not increase replayability in an enjoyable sense.

Options should be available from the start. There will have to be some other form of progression developed throughout the game, rather than limiting one’s options before they’ve even started. The key is to make the player feel like they have goals to strive for, not restrictions to work through. One is more enjoyable than the other.

[quote=“Litppunk, post:7, topic:11576”]certainly understandable viewpoints however:

locks you out of character creation options at the cost of a loss of character exploration.
Well at first yes, this is actually an idea for a game (I hope to make in the far off future) based around inter-dimensional travel, time jumping, universes with alternate physics that make "the world go round" via "natural," "magical," or our "technological" laws of physics. But it fit with what was being said so I figured I would toss it out there. The game I imagine would have a "traveling soul" that has been granted by a god figure, allowing you to take some of the old traits from the recently killed/died character to your next character, opening the possible skill tree more and more as you progress through your "lives"

For CDDA purposes it would probably be more like an alternate mode, an unlock the game type of thing. Could be fun. Would allow for reasonable addition of OP start characters if you have built your way up to them.[/quote]
Your game sounds like fun - do post about it in CDDA forum if you ever manage to do it :smiley:

I am thinking something like the SAO universe with lots of people making different “meets the prerequisites” worlds which can be traveled between once you have gotten through the “tutorial world” which will be a full campaign length itself.

By the time I am good enough of a programmer to even start attempting to try this, this will likely be feasible.