0xB: Disassembling is magic

When I was playing, I noticed something. I decided to check that in freeplay.

What if disassembling items inevitably returns ONLY those items listed in “Might yield”?

So I assembled a grenade out of something else (not included in the list) and after I disassembled it…

Yep.

Its alchemy! Now get a cyborg arm and rp full metal!

Dammit, I can’t resist to not abuse that.

Woohoo! A new way to abuse the CDDA mechanics!

But that’s a tricky one to fix. Maybe it should be changed so a grenade doesn’t yield any gunpowder… it would make much sense if you found a legit military grenade, but it would balance things out at least.

Maybe a suitable way to fix this would be to add a ‘makeshift grenade’ recipe which isn’t made from gunpowder, and add a different ‘grenade’ recipe which is made from more high-end ingredients, or something along those lines.

Because I really can’t see how a military grenade I found in a high-end military base has the same effect as a grenade made from an empty soda can full of old nails, the pliot light from a lighter, and a long string from a curtain rod.

Now, I’m not sure how programming works so mind my ignorance, but would it be possible that if you craft two items of the same kind out of different materials, that they would be listed separately based on the materials used to construct them? Let’s say figuratively you could make an article of clothing out of either fur, leather or cloth. Now, what if, depending on what you used to make it, it would have different stats and yield different items from disassembly? Once again, I am not sure if this is actually possible, but I think it could solve a few problems and even make the crafting menu a bit tidier.

It’s easier to keep track of crafted items so the game know what they were made of.

This is possible, but it’s just too complex for a single item! That’s why it’s not done. Someone could totally do it if they got free time though. The problem is all those recipes!

This is possible, but it’s just too complex for a single item! That’s why it’s not done. Someone could totally do it if they got free time though. The problem is all those recipes![/quote]
Well, I guess if anyone has some free time and is willing to put in the extra effort to do this, that’d be cool. You can have a virtual cookie or somethin’. Anyway, I figured it’d be complex to do something like this, but I also remember something like this used to be in the game. Maybe a year ago you could craft a trenchcoat from one recipe into three different kinds and they had different stats. I’m not sure what happened to that though.

I’m quite certain at least some items remember their components.

For example, if you manufacture a lump of steel from scrap, it will disassemble into scrap rather than into chunks. The thing is, lump of steel is one of the few items that shouldn’t remember their components.

There may be some inverse logic going on that could be easy to fix.

This was a known bug in 0.B, but it’s already been fixed in the experimentals.

Thanks for reporting it, though!