Disassembling item does not give the proper materials used

Just made a makeshift knife with a spike and duct tape. It displays the correct components used in the item description, but when I went to disassemble it to get the duct tape back, I just got a spike and a rag. =/

Not sure if it is a bug or if the feature is not fully implemented yet, but did not seem anyone mentioning it anywhere here in the forums, so I’m just spreading the word! :wink:

I was playing in the 1744 windows curses experimental, imported the save to the latest experimental (1773) and it still does not give the correct materials used.

That is expected. It’s the same with superglue used to made a mp3 player.

The rational is that glue and duct tape get used and you can’t get it back into a reusable form.

It should perhaps not be listed as component. On the other hand, it is a component.

Oh my bad, actually the way it is makes more sense, you actually could reuse duct tape (did that a couple of time IRL), but in the game it doesn’t bother me at all.

But it should not drop a rag, it’s weird and that was the main point that made me think it was a bug, I was expecting to get the duct tape and/or just the spike, not a rag from another dimension!

Maybe you could use a code similar to that one that checks if you recover each of the components when disassembling a damaged item, but instead of checking out for the damage only, you could also check for items that can’t be reused and fail their recoveries every time (or maybe with a very low chance in the case of the duct tape), so you just get the reusable parts of any item (like the spike in the case of the makeshift knife)?

Anyway, thanks for clarifying the issue!

The makeshift knife has multile recepies, when you deconstruct it use the one that is hardcoded, in this case rag+spikes, the item does not remember what it was made from.

Please note that this is from observation and not from looking at the code.

Recepie:
Skill used: fabrication
Required skills: N/A
Difficulty: 0
Time to complete: 5 minutes
Tools required:

rock OR scrap metal
Components required:
1x rag OR 50x duct tape OR 2x small string OR 100x sinew OR 100x thread OR 100x plant fibre
1x spike

[quote=“Loupkiller, post:4, topic:6762”]The makeshift knife has multile recepies, when you deconstruct it use the one that is hardcoded, in this case rag+spikes, the item does not remember what it was made from.

Please note that this is from observation and not from looking at the code.

Recepie:
Skill used: fabrication
Required skills: N/A
Difficulty: 0
Time to complete: 5 minutes
Tools required:

rock OR scrap metal
Components required:
1x rag OR 50x duct tape OR 2x small string OR 100x sinew OR 100x thread OR 100x plant fibre
1x spike[/quote]

This is just conjecture, but it might just have all dissemble default to the first valid combination (which ever in each section that comes first). Having every crafted item store its original components could, possibly, be problematic, especially if the crafted item is used in another crafting recipe.

Well, I think the components are already being remembered as the correct components used are displayed in the item info, it is just dropping the default (first) component for the recipe I think. If the components used are already being remembered I think that the multiple recipes are not an issue at all.

My suggestion was roughly in the lines of when disassembling any component if there was a component that couldn’t be reused, it should fail to retrieve that component, I “think” that could be done in the disassembling logic, when you try to disassemble an item it checks the components if any of those are not reusable fail that component an test the next one for retrieval.

And indeed, keeping tracks of the components of the components of the components can be a pain, I was just saying it was odd to see a rag out of the blue when disassembling a knife made with duct tape, but I can live with that and 50 less duct tape, I was just thinking it could be a bug.