0.C-15194: Wierd explosion damage?

Sorry for reporting a bug on a 5 day old build, but I’ve been avoiding the most recent experimentals due to all of that item actions fallout going on, and I haven’t seen any reports of this in the issues on github.

I’ve had a couple characters die from explosions that should not have been lethal one-shotting my torso, despite wearing armour that should have mostly negated it, and doing no damage to any other parts (despite those parts being less armored.)

Here’s a screenshot from immediately after my last character died:

Note that it shows “3 damage to torso” and no other relevant info. I was wearing a custom bombsuit consisting of a kevlar vest under a kevlar-reinforced heavy survivor suit, so 3 damage from a landmine is reasonable. My torso had only very minor injuries from a single shocker blast at the time, and I was under no status affects other than a caffeine pill.

I was trying to disarm the mine at the time, but that shouldn’t make it bypass armour. I was carrying three disarmed landmines, but I dont think explosives in your inventory are supposed to detonate sympathetically, and I only saw the one explosion. Even if they did explode, even four landmines at once really shouldn’t have killed me. Messed me up, possibly, but it shouldn’t have sniped my torso like that.

Anyone have any idea what happened?

Shrapnel should have printed more info, so it is most likely not it. Unless something prevented you from seeing yourself, but I don’t know how could that happen.

The damage amount reported in the message should be accurate, so even if it was caused by the cutting resistance bug, it should report much higher damage.

Still, it could be the cutting resistance bug wrapping around. Are you on a 32 bit build? Apparently there is some wonkery that only affects 32 bit builds, so if it’s 64 bit it must be something else.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:2, topic:12062”]Shrapnel should have printed more info, so it is most likely not it. Unless something prevented you from seeing yourself, but I don’t know how could that happen.

The damage amount reported in the message should be accurate, so even if it was caused by the cutting resistance bug, it should report much higher damage.

Still, it could be the cutting resistance bug wrapping around. Are you on a 32 bit build? Apparently there is some wonkery that only affects 32 bit builds, so if it’s 64 bit it must be something else.[/quote]

Nope, windows tiled 64 bit version.

Good to know I’m not just missing something obvious. I was just staring at the screen for a good minute afterward just trying to figure out what I’d done wrong.

I should note that this is the second character I’ve lost to this. The other died in nearly identical circumstances when caught in the blast from a detonating grenade dropped by a zombie grenadier. He also had full heavy survivor gear, though not reinforced. He was about 3 tiles away from the epicenter, and his torso got shredded while his extremities were barely touched, same as here. No way a grenade should have been able to do that.

Ok, so I’ve done some research with throwaway characters.

I can confirm there is definitely similar behavior happening on the latest version (0.C-15562).

I made a fresh character, gave them full heavy survivor armour and a kevlar vest, and threw a grenade a few tiles to the north.

Detonation three tiles to the north:

Detonation two tiles to the north:

Detonation three tiles to the north:

From these and many similar attempts, I’m noticing a couple things that are off.

1: Damage seems to be inordinately clustered to a single location, with the torso being inordinately represented (though I think that part is intended behavior). The locations other than the one “targeted” consistently only receive scratch damage. Every time I tested, the grenade always “sniped” a single body part, leaving the rest relatively unscathed. This seems very questionable to me.

2: Lethal damage is not shown in the message log. No entry appears. If the damage is doesn’t kill you, it appears correctly.

It’s worth noting that when wearing a full suit of heavy power armour, no damage was sustained from the grenade under any circumstances. I suspect this might be due to the armour being strong enough that even with the entirety of the grenade’s potential damage output being focused in one spot, it still isn’t enough to penetrate.