[0.9-1827-gd59e2c4] Car fuel supply

The fuel tanks on cars and police cars appear to be draining incredibly quickly, usually only being drivable for a couple of minutes real time before running out of gas entirely. Many other vehicles such as motorbikes and trucks don’t seem to be affected.

Oh, and this is on SDL.

Are you just hopping in a car that you slapped new tires on? Because the vehicles that are haphazardly laid about only have about 6% of their tank left. The only reason the other vehicles don’t run out as fast is they’re using engines that use less fuel.

I thought it was that too, but I checked the fuel tank and made sure it was fuelled to 100% and it still ran out in a few moments. I’ve even spawned in pristine ones through the debug menu and the same thing seems to happen.

You aren’t forgetting to turn it off when you get out are you?

Haha, I’ll admit that I did once or twice before I noticed that leaving the engine on was an option, but even remembering to turn it off or just driving solidly without stopping the fuel still seems to drain way quicker than previous builds.

Not sure if this is relevant but I’ve also noticed that as I drive with the cruise control on my speed will drastically jerk well above what I have it set on (I have it set to 40 and my speed was often reaching 60, if only for a second or two).

I have noticed very inconsistent speed with electric engines.

The engine will make a noise and suddenly take me 20/30 KM/h above the speed I wish to travel at.
Also sometimes I will turn off the engine and then the vehicle will start accelerating on its own as soon as I move my character.

Looks like you’re “Walken.”

Nothing but crickets.

I think the random speed changes are a part of having a low driving skill, which doesn’t really make sense since you usually have cruise control on anyway.

Yeah that could be it, since my skill was 2.
The vehicle driving off when it was standing still and after turning off the engine cannot be right though.

On a sidenote “Cruise Control” could simply be a simplification of you keeping your foot still on the pedal to mantain speed.

Quickly looking at the interaction panel for each of these and glancing at the ‘fuel usage’…

[table]
[tr]
[td]Vehicle[/td]
[td]Engine[/td]
[td]Fuel Usage[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Ambulance[/td]
[td]v6[/td]
[td]8[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Armored car[/td]
[td]v6[/td]
[td]8[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Beetle[/td]
[td]Inline-4[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Car[/td]
[td]v6[/td]
[td]8[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Motorcycle[/td]
[td]v-twin[/td]
[td]1[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Scooter[/td]
[td]1-cyl[/td]
[td]1[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Semi[/td]
[td]v8[/td]
[td]8[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Schoolbus[/td]
[td]v8[/td]
[td]8[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

…and so on. Clearly, the engine’s power is dictating fuel consumption.

However, v8s and v6s have the same power (in what is most likely an oversight): 800 units. I’m guessing that the fuel consumption is power/100.

Most vehicles only have one gas tank, which is the same size for everyone. Most of the v8-using vehicles have more than one gas tank, however.

I will also note, however, that gas tanks are really, really unrealistic for how much they store. I did an experiment on my mobile base in 0.9 stable (don’t believe it’s been changed in experimental) where I welded a gas tank to my car and filled it from my steel jerrycan. The steel jerrycan, which supposedly holds 25 liters of liquid (1 liquid unit for most items is 250 ml, and jerrycan holds 100) held 20000 gas units. When I emptied my gas into my tank, I found out that a metal tank which can be used to create that 25 liter jerrycan only stores 3000 gasoline, equivalent to about 2 gallon jugs or 8 plastic bottles worth of gasoline.

Clearly, there needs to be some increase in gas tank capacity. I could store 4 steel jerrycans (80000 gasoline) in a single storage trunk and yet could only contain 3000 gasoline in a tank. Perhaps splitting metal tanks into small, medium, and large tanks could do the trick? Add small tanks to things like pneumatic weapons and scooters, medium tanks to cars and large tanks to things like schoolbuses and trucks?

[quote=“dwarfkoala, post:14, topic:4447”]I will also note, however, that gas tanks are really, really unrealistic for how much they store. I did an experiment on my mobile base in 0.9 stable (don’t believe it’s been changed in experimental) where I welded a gas tank to my car and filled it from my steel jerrycan. The steel jerrycan, which supposedly holds 25 liters of liquid (1 liquid unit for most items is 250 ml, and jerrycan holds 100) held 20000 gas units. When I emptied my gas into my tank, I found out that a metal tank which can be used to create that 25 liter jerrycan only stores 3000 gasoline, equivalent to about 2 gallon jugs or 8 plastic bottles worth of gasoline.

Clearly, there needs to be some increase in gas tank capacity. I could store 4 steel jerrycans (80000 gasoline) in a single storage trunk and yet could only contain 3000 gasoline in a tank. Perhaps splitting metal tanks into small, medium, and large tanks could do the trick? Add small tanks to things like pneumatic weapons and scooters, medium tanks to cars and large tanks to things like schoolbuses and trucks?[/quote]

I brought this up awhile ago, I don’t remember the specifics but Rivet thought it was a typo (Something like 1.5 instead of 15 gallons) and Kevin said something about balance…

What’d I have for breakfast? Who are you people… (my memory is shit.)