Crafting engines from scratch (tl;dr, no)

Lets look at this from an entirely different perspective: racing simulators. Most of them allow you to modify at minimum the major parts of an engine: block, manifold, flywheel, crankshaft, alternator, air intake, transmission, exhaust. Find a compatible block and manifold, assemble your scrounged or disassembled and lighter to carry parts and wham. Engine. Yes it’s a major over simplification, but it fits two things Theme, and ease of implmentation because you can dump the whole thing to a mod.

what about up-modding already existing engines? as in, turn a V12 into a Monster V12 or something? as in, take en existing engine block and after-marketing it into a more beastly machine. uses more gas but is more powerful and all that.

Like a port and polish or adding a superchager? I’d have to look at the alternator code.

was thinking like… how the engine in mad max gets crazier looking as you upgrade it. huge air intakes and shit.

Nobody’s going to home-make a Tesla motor, obviously - but anybody with a shovel or a ladder could find all the pristine tightly wound copper wire anybody could ever want without leaving their neighborhood: dig up or pull down power line transformers.

Reading, it’s FUNdamental.

Transformer wire is magnet wire.

Not the ones hanging off your light pole. And also not the right gauge. That power transmission line? Steel doped aluminium.

I think the biggest disconnect here is people thinking about winding a transformer and calling it a motor. No, then you have either a transformer, or a linear accelerator. A motor has at least 9 parts that you can’t get off the shelf at an electronics store unless that store happens to be Grainger or someplace similar that specializes in Industrial applications and actually DOES sell replacement off the shelf specialty parts for things like stators and commutators.

The realistic in-game approach to electric engines is the real-world approach to electric engines: allowing 1 motor per-wheel to be installed, but that would require a re-write on the electric motor to A: eliminate or massively reduce the mechanics required to install extra motors, and B: require the x requires y code like the seat belt to include “electric motor requires wheel”. Which is a change I’d be in favor of actually seeing in the electric motor department. It means your electric powered death mobile could go 984958394/mph if it wanted to, assuming you had enough minireactors to run it. It’d make electric vehicles a little more viable for extremely heavy load vehicles as well. One of the Japanese mods I use turns a cargo rack into an opaque non-moveable tile of triple the storage size and I tend to line my outer walls with 8 of them. My trucks get pretty heavy after a while because I’m a horrible hoarder.

actually, the way those (IRL) super massive trucks work is the big engine up front is actually a generator and it powers electric motors on the wheels. except the caterpillar 797F which has a massive 100L V20 and is drive train.

Do they use torque motors on the wheels to prevent motor damage?

Am I allowed to refer to use this argument with something that’s supposed to be Super Science-y, though? Such as Bionics or Milspec Items? I’m asking for future reference.

No, then this entry applies: FMS: Frequently Made Suggestions