Zombie Birds

Would it be possible to implement swarms of zombie birds such as crows that attack the player from the air? This would add an interesting and fairly straightforward enemy encounter, as the birds would likely be more difficult to hit than normal zombies, but also would deal less damage to the player than a zombie swarm.

I know that there are already a few kinds of birds in the game, but I’m not sure which ones would be suitable for becoming zombified. My suggestion would be crows, but it seems that normal crows do not generally flock in the game, and are usually solo.

With proper Z-levels its be kinda like df.

As it is now I think itd be kinda like wasps or bees.

How do you handle decay and clumsy birds who can realistically fly? Do they fly anyway?

[quote=“Straume21, post:1, topic:11125”]Would it be possible to implement swarms of zombie birds such as crows that attack the player from the air? This would add an interesting and fairly straightforward enemy encounter, as the birds would likely be more difficult to hit than normal zombies, but also would deal less damage to the player than a zombie swarm.

I know that there are already a few kinds of birds in the game, but I’m not sure which ones would be suitable for becoming zombified. My suggestion would be crows, but it seems that normal crows do not generally flock in the game, and are usually solo.[/quote]

I think the lore states that the blob needs a minimum mass to zombify something. What about some kind of flying nether creature that travels in swarms? Or clouds, clouds of tiny blood sucking creatures that are nearly impossible to hit, but die in direct sunlight. They could spawn near portals, in forests, caves and underground areas. They would move slowly and their attacks would cause pain, weakness and blood loss.

There’s swarms, but we don’t have zombie alligators.

I see a problem with this, but also a viable counterpoint.

Why not a broader array of mutant animals? There are several creatures in the game that are below the lore’s threshold for zombification, but could plausibly have mutant versions.

Then again, the majority of mutants seem to be invertebrates, with some limited numbers of giant fish. So it’s possible that certain biological quirks make endothermic life impractical to subvert.

Still, we could have giant rattlesneks. Or other silly reptiles.

I want giant bugbears.

Microscopic details are always cooler than macroscopic ones.

And giant praying mantis in the summer. PMs are freaking awesome.

That can’t end well. ;w;

I remember a discussion a long time ago when zombie birds came up: lore guy of that time mentioned (zombie) ostrich farms and special effects of blob on reptiles/birds.

Zostrich would be hilarious.

Also, that reminds me. Are giant albino penguins to be considered otherworldly, or just mutants? If its the latter, that means giant crows are absolutely a possibility.

Eeeep! I don’t want one more thing trying to kill me. I mean there’s already zombie dog packs running around.

Instead, what about having the occasional murder(pack) of crows/birds that might make noise if you get too
close?

Zombie ravens are out on bodymass huh? Damn, it sounds like a fairly cool idea-- wait wait wait.
// Remembers undead ravens invading hell in DF.
This can’t end well.

Would be great if birds could perch on Z+ levels, just watching the streets until you make a loud noise or something, or attacking wounded creatures in a swarm.

Also ravens like playing in the snow it seems. It’s absurdly cute.

Raven may not have sufficient biomass, but if insects and fish and frogs can grow why cant giant locusts that pester your farms?

I still want giant crows and rattlesnakes. o3o

And chickens.

Giant rattlesnakes… would be awesome.

[quote=“pisskop, post:6, topic:11125”]I want giant bugbears.

Microscopic details are always cooler than macroscopic ones.

And giant praying mantis in the summer. PMs are freaking awesome.[/quote]

I think you might have played a bit too much FO: NV :wink:

But I DO like the giant bugbear Idea. I see them as a swarm of rat sized creatures that can cross water or fire tiles with no penalty and can only be destroyed through direct conflict. Maybe they could have some kind of “terrain Immune” flag that would prevent things like fire, cold, heat, water, etc from damaging or slowing them? They could initiate ‘grabs’ as well.

The bugbears could be a Cave, Mine and Basement spawn to prevent inrepid new survivors from doing ‘Really well!’, only to get swarmed and die.

Wouldnt buildings turned into giant hornet nests be more apropiate?

Its the same effect, and we wouldn’t need to retcon anything.

enh, there’s talks about doing a revision of the lore anywho for maintainance purposes.

And these guys arent supposed to be the ‘most fit’ but rather the ‘most extreme and adaptable’. They would be on the fringes.

Im rootin’ for the Earthen Hometeam.