You whack the grabber zombie for 19 damage

[shadow=red,left][size=12pt]You whack the grabber zombie for 19 damage.[/size][/shadow]

This idea came to me while slaying a mob of zeds the other day. Damage to enemies should be descriptive, not numerical. This would make the game more consistent, improve realism and make combat far more interesting and fun. What does 19 damage to a grabber zombie actually mean to our characters, or to us? I haven’t fully formed all of my ideas, yet, but that’s why we have forums to discuss these things! :wink:

Here are some ideas to get things rolling:

[size=12pt]1. Assign simple phrases based on the location, type and amount of damage.[/size]

Before:

You hit the zombie for 5 damage.
You whack the zombie for 17 damage.
Headshot! You bash the zombie for 31 damage.

After:

You graze the zombie’s leg doing imperceptible damage.
You slice the zombie sending pieces of flesh and bone flying.
Headshot! You smash the zombie in the head crushing it’s jaw.

[size=12pt]2. As above, but find the percentage* of damage in a range, and use these ranges to assign descriptive labels, etc.[/size]
(* damage ÷ current health, or damage ÷ max health)

Option (a) 1-25%, 26-55, 56-70, 71-80, 81-85, 86-90, 91-95, 95+

• Ranges decrease in size as damage increases, allowing for more rare descriptions when damage levels are at their highest.

Option (b) 1-10%, 11-20%, 21-30%, 31-40%, …90%+

• Ranges in increments of 10%. Boring.

Option © 1-5%, 6-15%, 16-30%, 31-50%, 51-75%, 76%+

• Ranges increase as damage increases, allowing for an even growth.

[size=12pt]3. Perception 12+ could enhance descriptions further.[/size]

[size=12pt]More to come…[/size]

Oh yes. Please yes.

This is what made DF combat so much fun (well, that, and the attacking system)

Yeah, I for one would love to be beaten to death with my own arm by a hulk.

Look at it this way: one day you might be able to impale a hulk with another hulk.

Side note: I am really surprised DF hasn’t added in genital attacks yet. Considering how it has apparently grown into 4chan, as well as the nature of roguelikes in general, this a rather unlikely (lack of) event.

Genitals are one of the few things that ToadyOne is specifically not adding into the game because it’s only a small step from genitals to rape (especially since most of the framework could already be used that way if they were present). Along with feces it’s one of the things he doesn’t want put in so DF isn’t “that game with the raping and pissing and shitting dwarves”.

There are mods that have added them in though, including everything from descriptive modifiers (“pert” breasts and whatnot) and attacks that cause the expected amount of pain to go with them.

Genitals are one of the few things that ToadyOne is specifically not adding into the game because it’s only a small step from genitals to rape (especially since most of the framework could already be used that way if they were present). Along with feces it’s one of the things he doesn’t want put in so DF isn’t “that game with the raping and pissing and shitting dwarves”.

There are mods that have added them in though, including everything from descriptive modifiers (“pert” breasts and whatnot) and attacks that cause the expected amount of pain to go with them.[/quote]

That’s more like it. Anything that enters 4chan will not leave clean.

Presently, when our characters are hurt, or have their equipped items damaged, we see meaningful descriptions. Would it be reasonable to extend that functionality in the opposite direction? Does anyone prefer to see random numbers with no attachment to meaningful descriptions thrown at them?

I must have this now.

Tie it to the self aware trait and call it “anatomical analysis” or something. If you can “see” your health in numbers it makes sense that you can see the damage you take or deal to others.

This would make the biggest difference i think.

Having a trait for it to show numbers i think would work VERY well, especially if you put in multiple descriptions for different parts.

You pinch the squirrel for 0.0025 damage.
Squirrel pokes you for 0 damage.
You send friend request to squirrel
See squirrel status (Y/N) ?

Squirrel status: Player we’re BFFs - FOREVER AND EVER.

:smiley:

So, bear hugs should be regarded as crushing/explode damage.