When dropping items, you can't use the numpad to navigate the inventory 0.B 2805

A minor bug, I hope. Same for dropping with d or D. Every other inventory interaction I can think of is fine with the numpad. Windows version if that’s important.

I think you can’t do this because you could d-#-item to drop # of item. The number keys are reserved for entering the number of items to drop.

That makes a lot of sense and I feel slow for not considering it heh.

I thought when numlock is on the numkeys are considered different from normal number keys?

Some menus have two (or more) key bindings for the same actions. In this case the arrow keys and the numeric keys might be bound to the same action and therefor behave the same.

Example: the standard “UP” action is per default bound to the UP key (the upwards arrow), the letter k, the number 8 (number pad with numlock on and normal numbers above the letters should work) and the joystick. So if you press the up arrow on the number pad, the games receives either a “the number 8 key was pressed” (numlock on) signal or a “the up key was pressed” (numlock off) signal. Both signals lead to the same action: “UP”, the game behaves the same on either input.

This allows you to walk north by pressing the up key on the number pad (regardless of the numlock status).

Other menus (like the drop item menu) have separate actions for those signals: the number (as noted by vache) allows you to pickup specific amounts, the direction key moves the selection.

Conclusion: you can navigate the inventory with the number pad, but numlock must be off to do so.

I thought when numlock is on the numkeys are considered different from normal number keys?

No, at least not in the curses version. The number on the number pad are not different from the numbers above the letters on the keyboard, similar the arrow keys on the number pad are not different from the other arrows left of the number pad. If numlock is off, they behave like the arrow keys.

You can however test this with the key bindings menu. If you try to assign the same input (as perceived by the game) to several actions, the game will complain. Try assigning a number from the number pad to one action and a number from the block above the letters to a different actions. If the game complains that the key is already used by another action, both keys look the same to the game. If the game does not complain, the game receives those keys as different input.

Again, this was checked for the curses build under Linux, the tiles build might be different.