Very new player, very many questions

If you like youtube video, try Cataclysm Quick Tips and Cataclysm University

At the beginning I never go near town, hunt, or fight unless I have no other choice. I either start at lab or near forests. I like to play Lab technician, which has mechanical, electrical, chemical, and computer skills. Most of the time, I use X to peek, " to run, and & to craft. I use m to check map to choose where to go.

I forage for food, practice archery, and farm. Farming can give lots of food in the long run. If I have time, I dig a lot of traps and set up nail boards in case if any zombie/big animal comes close. I smash some furniture, make makeshift hammer, and then make screwdriver. Then I deconstruct (with * key) furniture instead of smashing them. After a while I either make electric forge or charcoal forge and craft toolbox, welder, and welding goggles to fix a vehicle. There are vehicles on the roads. I don’t have to go inside a town to get a vehicle.

After that I try to go near town and always prepare to jump onto the car and run. If I see military composite armor, I collect it for my electric suv. If there is no electric suv, I use muscle power or wind turbine to make electricity. I like renewable energy because that means I can stay at a place and prepare for a very long time (1 to 2 years). Once I have a reliable source of electricity, I make a vacuum sealer to preserve the food.

Whenever I see a lot of small zombies, I run and kite them with my bow or use zombie pheromone. Whenever I see small zombies mix with brutes/juggernaut, I would just get a bit closer to draw off a few zombies and kill the small zombies one by one. If the brute start to chase me, I jump into my car and just run.

When the shocker brute/brute is alone, I can kite it to death with a long bow. If I see a skeletal juggernaut is alone, I ram it with my car.

Bows can’t kill skeletal dogs easily. I use a tazer to kill those.

I have never figured out how to use guns effectively.

I heard zombies get stronger over time. But I have never noticed that. hmm.