Vehicle Modifications (roll bars, metal grating)

Hey folks. I was just thinking: how about some kind of roll bars to help with impacts, since the seatbelt doesn’t seem to help much :stuck_out_tongue:

In addition, how about some kind of metal grating to reinforce windshields with-- the kind used on riot vans for example.

I assume they negate visibility. For you know, balance.

The main problem is that seatbelts are broken at the moment (haha). That has a fix pending and should be sorted out today.

Another enhancement we can make is have you hit the interior of the vehicle instead of automatically ejecting you from the vehicle, so for more minor impacts, you’d hit the windshield, you and the windshield would both take some damage, but you woudn’t fly out of the vehicle unless you did enough damage to smash the windshield. That’s going to take a bit more work before it happens though.

Reinforced windshields are being worked on, they collided with some restructuring of how vehicles work, but they should be in soon-ish.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:3, topic:2931”]The main problem is that seatbelts are broken at the moment (haha). That has a fix pending and should be sorted out today.

Another enhancement we can make is have you hit the interior of the vehicle instead of automatically ejecting you from the vehicle, so for more minor impacts, you’d hit the windshield, you and the windshield would both take some damage, but you woudn’t fly out of the vehicle unless you did enough damage to smash the windshield. That’s going to take a bit more work before it happens though.

Reinforced windshields are being worked on, they collided with some restructuring of how vehicles work, but they should be in soon-ish.[/quote]

Closed-head trauma is a Thing with windshield impacts. /took Neuropsych in undergrad, book’s in storage though

Maybe you could, at a higher skill level, have the option of installing a racing harness (like the ones they use in rally cars) instead of a seatbelt. It could provide better crash protection, but cost more time to take or release the controls, as they’re more cumbersome to put on or take off.

I wonder if you could use, say, an aerosol can, some plastic bags and a couple of electronic sensor components to craft a makeshift airbag?

racing harness yes, craftable airbags no.

Should be able to salvage airbag modules from other cars though.

Then you won’t die! And make airbag traps! (Just a louder bubblewrap that does a bit of damage) Or airbag bomb traps! (Airbag with bbs or nails. Not sure how it works tbh.)

Hah, that’s a good point, airbags are pretty much highly specialized explosives, so I believe it would be feasable to improvise small explosive devices out of them.

Check the book How to Survive the Zombie Apocalypse by Michael G. Thomas Kevin. You can implement all the ideas from the book.

I don’t need MORE ideas, I need BETTER ideas :stuck_out_tongue:

(I’ve read it, the level of rigor was disappointing)

(Oh, what do you mean?) How about you can add steel plates to the windows and choose how much you want to add so the more you add, the less visibility.