Trait concepts!

[quote=“Closet Pankin, post:20, topic:7959”]Again, there’s a difference between depression and MDD. Depression is bad - like, no motivation to do anything bad. If it’s really bad, it’s suicidal thoughts/tenancies I-don’t-deserve-to-live bad. MDD is a longterm disorder where it doesn’t really go away permanently, but it’s not that bad. Think -50.

Also you should really support your friend. Let 'em know you care.[/quote]

All my effort seems fruitless .

And yeah i heard suicidal talk more then once :confused:

[quote=“Valpo, post:21, topic:7959”][quote=“Closet Pankin, post:20, topic:7959”]Again, there’s a difference between depression and MDD. Depression is bad - like, no motivation to do anything bad. If it’s really bad, it’s suicidal thoughts/tenancies I-don’t-deserve-to-live bad. MDD is a longterm disorder where it doesn’t really go away permanently, but it’s not that bad. Think -50.

Also you should really support your friend. Let 'em know you care.[/quote]

All my effort seems fruitless .

And yeah i heard suicidal talk more then once :/[/quote]

Having been there, and again this is off my experiences, they’re attributing your being there to something else. It may seem fruitless, but it really isn’t. Trust me.

I’ve always thought we need a few more starting traits as well, so here’s a few ideas:

Skull Popper - There is just something so satisying to you about popping heads. Whenever you kill an enemy with a headshot, you gain a morale boost. (This doesn’t stack.) [Cost 2]

Bookworm - You’ve always loved books, and you tolerate reading the more boring ones. You gain bonus morale from morale-boosting books, and boring morale-reducing books will reduce your morale less. [Cost 2]

Creative - When your morale is at a very high point, your mind becomes creative and you can think of crafting recipes you normally wouldn’t be able to. When the morale wears off, so does your creativity. (This basically lets you make recipes that are higher level than your actual skill while you have 75+ morale or something.) [Cost 3]

Crafting Whizz - You’re just really quick at creating things! Crafting recipe times are reduced by 25%. (Not sure how hard this would be to code in, but…) [Cost 3]

Steady - You’ve learnt to tolerate wearing heavy gear. Having a high encumbrance will rarely throw you off balance. (Optional because it might be hard to code: it could reduce the penalty values?) [Cost 1, 2 if optional feature is possible.]

Likes Meat - You just find meat in general really tasty. Eating plain cooked meat will give a small morale boost, and other types of meat will be enjoyed further. [Cost 2]

Fumbled Hands - You suffer increased penalties when you miss a strike, and when you miss you have a chance of dropping your weapon. [Gives 2]

Poor Genetics - Your genetic coding is quite unstable. When you acquire a mutation, there is a considerably high chance of it not benefitting you. [Gives 3]

Haemophiliac - If you bleed, it will last a much larger time than usual for it to naturally stop, and it’s harder to stop the bleeding with basic rags. [Gives 4]

Guilty-Hearted - If you perform an action that is morally wrong, you suffer further increased penalties from it. (Such as killing zombie children/NPC’s/etc.) [Gives 2]

Amnesia - You sometimes suffer from a mass loss of memory after sleeping, which can cause all sorts of problems. (Really punishing skill which has a low chance for you to forget the map, reduce some of your skills or forget book-learned recipes.) [Gives 4]

Also sorry to hear about all these bouts of depression. It happens sometimes for me, but not horribly bad. I just can’t seem to brood on things no matter how hard I try. But I hope y’all brighten up soon!

[quote=“Jakers, post:23, topic:7959”]I’ve always thought we need a few more starting traits as well, so here’s a few ideas:

Skull Popper - There is just something so satisying to you about popping heads. Whenever you kill an enemy with a headshot, you gain a morale boost. (This doesn’t stack.) [Cost 2]

Bookworm - You’ve always loved books, and you tolerate reading the more boring ones. You gain bonus morale from morale-boosting books, and boring morale-reducing books will reduce your morale less. [Cost 2]

Creative - When your morale is at a very high point, your mind becomes creative and you can think of crafting recipes you normally wouldn’t be able to. When the morale wears off, so does your creativity. (This basically lets you make recipes that are higher level than your actual skill while you have 75+ morale or something.) [Cost 3]

Crafting Whizz - You’re just really quick at creating things! Crafting recipe times are reduced by 25%. (Not sure how hard this would be to code in, but…) [Cost 3]

Steady - You’ve learnt to tolerate wearing heavy gear. Having a high encumbrance will rarely throw you off balance. (Optional because it might be hard to code: it could reduce the penalty values?) [Cost 1, 2 if optional feature is possible.]

Likes Meat - You just find meat in general really tasty. Eating plain cooked meat will give a small morale boost, and other types of meat will be enjoyed further. [Cost 2]

Fumbled Hands - You suffer increased penalties when you miss a strike, and when you miss you have a chance of dropping your weapon. [Gives 2]

Poor Genetics - Your genetic coding is quite unstable. When you acquire a mutation, there is a considerably high chance of it not benefitting you. [Gives 3]

Haemophiliac - If you bleed, it will last a much larger time than usual for it to naturally stop, and it’s harder to stop the bleeding with basic rags. [Gives 4]

Guilty-Hearted - If you perform an action that is morally wrong, you suffer further increased penalties from it. (Such as killing zombie children/NPC’s/etc.) [Gives 2]

Amnesia - You sometimes suffer from a mass loss of memory after sleeping, which can cause all sorts of problems. (Really punishing skill which has a low chance for you to forget the map, reduce some of your skills or forget book-learned recipes.) [Gives 4]

Also sorry to hear about all these bouts of depression. It happens sometimes for me, but not horribly bad. I just can’t seem to brood on things no matter how hard I try. But I hope y’all brighten up soon![/quote]

Hey, these are some really good ideas! My only input would be changing a couple names - Crafting Whizz to Eccentric and Guilty-Hearted to Sympathetic, maybe?

Also thanks! So, any devs interested in some of these ideas?

I won t give up.
Thanks for the insight-
Hope your right.

Enough about my problems though .

I like that one. :slight_smile:

I won t give up.
Thanks for the insight-
Hope your right.

Enough about my problems though .[/quote]

Oh no man, we’ve all got our demons and shit going on. I’m just hoping your friend does ok.

Personally, I believe it would make more sense to think about new profession traits, rather than “regular” traits.

There are still plenty of profession-groups out there who could really benefit from a nice perk, that makes them somehow interesting to play with.

E.g.: “Athlete” (for all sport-type professions), giving you a bonus on your stamina (once it is implemented)

Put 'em here please; makes it easier for me to keep track of 'em.

IF we’re putting genral traits in here, I’d suggest a Seasonal Affective Disorder type thing. Moral bonus in spring and summer, morale penalty in winter and fall.

Ambidextrous?

Though it’d be useless unless duel wielding was planned to be put in at some point, which then it would negate any penalties for it.

A few profession traits:

Archeologist - I Have A Bad Feeling…

[spoiler]Years dealing with ancient history, artifacts and weird things surrounding them gave you an unexpected advantage in the Cataclysm. The advantage of a VERY good gut feeling regarding the bizarre.

• Starts with museums(when in game), pawn shops and strange temples marked in map.
  • Have a sixth sense about Nether creatures(not Fungi or Plant, just Nether as kreks and so on) and artifacts: when getting close of one, not enough to be in sight of them, the message “You have a bad feeling about this…”. Message can differ depending of WHAT is close…
  • Gets a bonus in detecting and disarming ancient traps.
  • Active ability: Appraise. “Weird artifacts have been around for longer than it seems, and you heard enough about them to know what to expect when in hands of one.” Time-based ability that works through Perception. Success gives you a more detailed description of a chosen artifact. Failure does nothing, Critical Failure gives a WRONG description of it.
    [/spoiler]

Bionic Prepper - I Knew The End Was Coming

[spoiler]…you heard the news, connected the dots and saw what others didn’t. Thanks to that, you did everything you could to be ready, and as they know, knowing is half of the battle.

• Starts with a bigger revealed map at start.
  • Starts with few special basements in houses marked in the map at start. (Of friends who were preparing as well)
  • Active ability: If I Remember It Right… Chance-based ability. Success gives random reveals of stuff in the map. Failure gives nothing. Critical failures give WRONG reveals of stuff in maps.
    NEVER reveals stuff that came because of the Cataclysm, or things that are made to be hidden. In this cases, the reveal is wrong always. (so, yeah, that field that you remembered now is a fungal tower. Buggers.)
    (He already have a lot at start, so doesn’t need much more than information)
    [/spoiler]

Hobo - Living at Well’s Bottom

[spoiler]When everything you have is the clothes you have and what you can beg, one can become really good in knowing how to get more stuff. And in using stuff that people wouldn’t think about.

• Starts with food, water and shelter related places revealed in the map.
  • Can ask others survivor for stuff. When that’s already an option for a generic character, have an improved chance of succeeding and even asking for more and getting something.
  • Gets more things when salvaging/searching, thanks to years of experience having to use what it had to the fullest.
  • Increased resistance against diseases and parasites, and diminished effects when infected/parasited.
    [/spoiler]

I kind of admire the points about depression, but as far as developing a game goes the feature seems kind of counter-intuitive. And depression ISN’T fun, and I suppose it kind of wouldn’t be in a game, either.

Idk, maybe it’s sidestepped by a lot of games for a reason - not because they’re insensitive but because it really ISN’T a nice thing to think about, yknow?

Schizophrenia isn’t fun.

Neither is insomnia.

Or mood swings.

Your reasoning is invalid . In a game these things can create or add to your fun.
Unless you feel what your char feels. Should be unlikely — i think?

[quote=“Valpo, post:34, topic:7959”]Your reasoning is invalid . In a game these things can create or add to your fun.
Unless you feel what your char feels. Should be unlikely — i think?[/quote]

Are you talking to me? If so, then I’d say it adds a challenge in the same way Insomnia, Schizophrenia etc add - a mental condition that you must also manage using ingame assets. I’d probably play a character with it. Weed would be much more important to keeping a healthy state of mind, as with drugs. Also would probably excuse the addition of antidepressant drugs into the game.

[quote=“Closet Pankin, post:35, topic:7959”][quote=“Valpo, post:34, topic:7959”]Your reasoning is invalid . In a game these things can create or add to your fun.

Are you talking to me? If so, then I’d say it adds a challenge in the same way Insomnia, Schizophrenia etc add - a mental condition that you must also manage using ingame assets. I’d probably play a character with it. Weed would be much more important to keeping a healthy state of mind, as with drugs. Also would probably excuse the addition of antidepressant drugs into the game.[/quote]

So we are in agreement i think.

[quote=“Valpo, post:36, topic:7959”][quote=“Closet Pankin, post:35, topic:7959”][quote=“Valpo, post:34, topic:7959”]Your reasoning is invalid . In a game these things can create or add to your fun.

Are you talking to me? If so, then I’d say it adds a challenge in the same way Insomnia, Schizophrenia etc add - a mental condition that you must also manage using ingame assets. I’d probably play a character with it. Weed would be much more important to keeping a healthy state of mind, as with drugs. Also would probably excuse the addition of antidepressant drugs into the game.[/quote]

So we are in agreement i think.[/quote]

So you weren’t taking to me but to Wally? Alrighty.

Already posted at http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=3982.0, but posted here as well because… i don’t know if it’s place is only there or here as well :stuck_out_tongue:

A few profession traits:

[spoiler]Years dealing with ancient history, artifacts and weird things surrounding them gave you an unexpected advantage in the Cataclysm. The advantage of a VERY good gut feeling regarding the bizarre.

• Starts with museums(when in game), pawn shops and strange temples marked in map.
  • Have a sixth sense about Nether creatures(not Fungi or Plant, just Nether as kreks and so on) and artifacts: when getting close of one, not enough to be in sight of them, the message “You have a bad feeling about this…”. Message can differ depending of WHAT is close…
  • Active ability: Appraise. “Weird artifacts have been around for longer than it seems, and you heard enough about them to know what to expect when in hands of one.” Time-based ability that works through Perception. Success gives you a more detailed description of a chosen artifact. Failure does nothing, Critical Failure gives a WRONG description of it.
    [/spoiler]

[spoiler]…you heard the news, connected the dots and saw what others didn’t. Thanks to that, you did everything you could to be ready, and as they know, knowing is half of the battle.

• Starts with few special basements in houses marked in the map at start. (Of friends who were preparing as well)
  • Active ability: If I Remember It Right… Chance-based ability. Success gives random reveals of stuff in the map. Failure gives nothing. Critical failures give WRONG reveals of stuff in maps.
    NEVER reveals stuff that came because of the Cataclysm, or things that are made to be hidden. In this cases, the reveal is wrong always. (so, yeah, that field that you remembered now is a fungal tower. Buggers.)
    [/spoiler]

[spoiler]When everything you have is the clothes you have and what you can beg, one can become really good in knowing how to get more stuff. And in using stuff that people wouldn’t think about.

• Can ask others survivor for stuff. When that’s already an option for a generic character, have an improved chance of succeeding and even asking for more and getting something.
  • Gets more things when salvaging/searching, thanks to years of experience having to use what it had to the fullest.
  • Increased resistance against diseases and parasites, and diminished effects when infected/parasited.
    [/spoiler]

[quote=“Wanderer, post:38, topic:7959”]Already posted at http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=3982.0, but posted here as well because… i don’t know if it’s place is only there or here as well :stuck_out_tongue:

A few profession traits:

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler][/quote]

One thread please, and I’m kinda fond of mine.

I d also like the mutation category thread stay on top cause i like the mutations and all >.>