Tips, Tricks and Newb Questions: Reborn!

How do the weight conculations for swimming work (difference between sinking or not)

Issue with food volumes:
I had my companions make hard cheese as a camp order, and then saw that the number of calories in the cheese produced was approximately the same as the number of calories spent by a character over the production time. Given that cheese is fairly calorie dense, I tried to understand what happens.
15 units of milk is converted into 18 units of curdled milk, which seems reasonable. The problem comes in the next step where the 18 units of curdled milk is converted into 9 units of hard cheese over 9 hours (the camp action did not seem to get any batch benefit). These pieces of cheese weigh a paltry 34 g, but take up a full 250 ml volume, while providing 135 calories (according to dairy.json), which is marginally more than the 132 calories in one of the units of milk starting the process (15 milk->9 cheese), resulting in an extremely marginal calorie concentration.
Does the json volume value indicate the extent to which the stomach is filled by the food? If so, the volume is badly off, and if it’s the volume including the paper wrapper it seems there’s a lot of empty space in that wrapper (less than 34 ml is taken up by the cheese, as the specific weight of cheese is higher than one, leaving well over 200 ml empty).
I believe the problem is that the pieces of cheese are far too small and far too numerous. It would be more reasonable that curdled milk was processed in batches of 18 (the output of the curdling process) producing pieces of cheese in a single process (rather than 9), and probably fewer pieces with a higher calorie amount (and weight) per piece (as well as an adjusted volume).

(Yes, I know it’s actually kilocalories).

Edit: A completely different question:
What’s the point of clearing up rubble?
I understand you may want to clear a path somewhere, but I’ve cleared out 30 or so rubble tiles after a plane crash, and all the “hidden” items I’ve found was s single metal plate, which doesn’t seem to be worth the trouble. Is there a “treasure finding” point to it?

I’ve found good stuff in helicopter wreckage now and then. I was mostly clearing it for scrap metal, but got a couple of guns and some other stuff.
It sounds like there’s no loot placed under the plane crash rubble? There ought to be suitcases and bags and things at least.

What I wanted was actually various forms of metal (having the silly notion of building the camp only out of metal tends to require a fair bit of that…), so I was disappointed when I only found a single piece. The place I cleared was at the beginning of the crash trail (I also tried to knock down “metal wall” pieces with a heavy sledgehammer, but that didn’t seem to have any effect at all). I’ve already picked up all the pieces of metal I could find, and it might be that zone sorting might pick up the things hidden as well.
I’ve found a lot of suitcases in the cargo hold of the plane (and they only contained boring stuff…).
I might try an Osprey crash site, though, to see if I find more things there (again, I’ve picked through the wreck “normally”, although I’m about to remove steel plating from it as camp building material).

Edit:
Tried a wreckage in a town, and yes, each pile did contain metal in various forms. Seems like the airliner wreckage is either bugged or was vacuum cleaned through zone collection.

Edit 2: How can I locate my lost equipment?

I was heading out for another day of looting, only to find that my armor wasn’t in the car when I arrived (I keep removing it when in safe places due to both heat and weight).
I crashed the game and reverted to the last save, just before heading out, but I just can’t find the items. I’ve looked in the car (obviously), and in the loot pile for armor, the loot piles for unsorted loot, but I just can’t find it. Is there some debug hack that allows me to find where the items are?

You can try shift-v, then “/” and enter (part of) the name of your armor. If it is in your sight range, you should see it. Unless it is in a container that blocks visibility from afar.

Thanks. Didn’t help me find the items this time, though (and it seems containers are excluded, as I can’t find things in the car’s trunk when a single tile away, so I can pick them up).

Definitely a useful command to know, though.

Edit: It DID work. I went back to where I finished looting the previous day and found them in a (hard to see) pile on the street. Apparently they fell through the full car storage with me missing it. Big thanks!

Can someone please explain in details on how to fly helicopters?
I have a char with Helicopter piloting proficiency, but whenever i find a heli in good condition and try to fly it game just says “heli doesn’t have enough wheels to move”
i even spawned myself a blackhawk in mint condition (edited helipad.json and spawned helipad via debug) and still no luck, same “not enough wheels”
am i missing something or https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/33829 was removed in latest experimental?

use the < key to move the helicopter up and start flying away

i’ve tried that. “you steer heli to ascend”, nothing happens after that. tried to wait a looong time
if speed is changed from 0, i get “not enough wheels” each turn

I can’t find the refugee camp. The terminal said that it was at “96 UP_SE” and then said it couldn’t find the address and didn’t put it on my overland map. I do have the mission. I tried traveling out to where it should have been (I have a survivor telescope and lots of radio towers and silos) so I should have found it by now.

What does the UP part mean? That’s new.

What is the nature of the “danger” of camp missions?
The risk of a forage mission is “Very Low”, but what is it that can happen with a very low frequency? I wouldn’t be worried if the is is of the companion getting injured and thus needing recovery, or even leading trouble into the base, but if it is a matter of “X died while on mission. Companion lost.”, that’s a very different level of risk.

Yep, they can die. I don’t know if it depends on their equipment or combat skills but I had one of them die hunting small game. Maybe death is excluded from foraging results but hunting can definitely get them killed, at least it was 3 or 4 months ago.

Thanks. Useful to know. I’ve given everyone turnout suites, as that’s about as much as some of them can carry, plus a iron shod quarterstaff for the weakest and a steel spear for the others. They’ve got no combat skills at all and next to no HP, so they can’t really expect to handle combat. Small game shouldn’t be dangerous in themselves, but if you run into a pack of Grim Reapers while hunting a rabbit you’re in trouble.

A follow on question, then: Were you able to locate the body of the lost companion, is does that happen in some nebulous “elsewhere”?

No, I just got a message that he died, and that was it.

1 Like

what perks should you pick if you want to min/max your characters for late game. Since some are only available through the character creation while some are able to get lost or gained through mutation so which positive traits should you pick and which negative ones should you pick?

What should one expect from a private resort? Is it similar to a mansion?

About mansions, are they still a thing? In my last world I haven’t seen any so far.

And last question, where are all the martial arts books? I am at about day 50, several libraries looted, one lab nearly looted and not one single marital arts book found…

Yes. I raided one not too long ago. I’ll probably never actually use the samurai armor I found, but it’s still nice to have.

Find dojos. Expect to hit several before you find a MA book, but dojos are where they’re most likely to be found. I’ve picked up Eskrima, Aikido, and Wing Chun so far. Found the Eskrima book in the bookshelf of a Weapons Testing Range in a lab, so prioritize those places too.

I just hit a “private” resort, although I got mobbed badly and haven’t gone back yet. Expect a lot of “sleek” zombies - I think the resort is clothing optional if you know what I mean…

My character suddenly become weak after I dig around a crater: Prolly radiation as I got some mutation. But before that, my character only sleeps for like half a sec then wake up. Then she contrated Influenza on which I took the flu shot, vitamin, antibiotic after. But after that she got common cold. Man, don’t know what’s happening lol halp.

You have managed to tank your health stat. Eating junk food, smoking/drinking/consuming other drugs, mutating, the like all have an impact on your health. Low health puts you at risk for contracting colds or flu, and the flu shot is preventative medicine, not treatment.