Tips, Tricks and Newb Questions: Reborn!

Thanks for the replies.
Looks like the one piece at a time dance is what I have to live with, then (and the dance is worse for NPCs, but a “replace this set of items with that set of items” on the PC would be useful as well.

@gtgiygus: There are some settings you can use for NPCs to get them to somewhat follow your orders (although I’ve trouble to get mine to stay out of my line of sight).
I keep the other armor sets in a trunk, but that only means having it at hand, but the actual shuffling between trunk and (N)PC has to be performed item by item anyway.

@KiBoy: I haven’t reached the deathmobile stage yet, but I’m definitely suffering from pack-rat-isis as well. My current approach is to have piles on the ground outside of, but in range of, the craftmobile’s crafting tile (this is how far I’ve gotten).
Now, if your play style is to go fully mobile, you’ve got an issue, but if you intend to use your deathmobile to make forays from a base (or several bases) I’d suggest storing the stuff that might come in handy some time in the future at your base(s), and bring “only” the stuff you might conceivably need on a foray with you (minor stuff like spare parts, repair equipment, food, weaponry, armor, …).
There’s no real need to bring a gasoline engine with you if the deathmobile doesn’t use gasoline and you don’t have to go further than a day or so to go fetch one from your stash(es) to repair a blocking vehicle so you can move it.

I don’t know why line of sight would be important for a component inside a deathmobile, as I’d expect cameras to provide most or all of the view of the outside, and I don’t know why you’d really need it inside.

I found something that can bring fabrication to 0 but requires 1 but I think THAT is part of some mod I have

How is seasonal temperature modeled? My character has reached day 50 of summer, and so is past the mid point, but real life temperatures extremes tend to occur a month or two after the solstices. Thus, the question is, have I passed the worst part, or do I have to look forward to several months worth of only being able to be outdoors, armored up, for 10 minutes at a time (or whatever it is)? Going from “normal” to painfully hot goes very quickly (lug those zombies into basements if you want to dissect them, or you’ll get both heat stroke and it takes a lot longer because of a lot of resting).

It starts to become ok in Autumn 10 or 20. Autumn 40+, you should start looking out for warm clothes if you don’t have them already - nights are becoming quite cold.

Thanks. I’m sure I’ve got plenty of warm stuff in the random junk I hauled in the early days, and if not, there’s always Tailoring.

Edit:
Are you supposed to be able to ferry cows as passengers in a SUV?
I encountered a dairy farm, and was able to save 3 cows. I tamed them and managed to lock 2 of them into the milk processing facility, but couldn’t contain the third one, and didn’t have a rope. I decided to go to the SUV to get equipment to scavenge a rope from one of the broken cars at the facility, and the cow followed me into the car, so I decided to see what would happen if I drove with it in a passenger seat. It worked just fine, so I ferried two cows back to my “base”, leaving the third one, but I think you’re really supposed to use the cattle cargo containers for that kind of task…

What is the most cost effective type of bread to make?

it’s safer to put cows in livestock stalls but you currently can just shove them into any seat. It’s something that maybe should be fixed but it’s not really high on my long list of things to work on.

Regular “Bread” will be your best bet for efficiency. Wheat can be found in bulk inside silos on farms. Most won’t have doors, and you will need something to get through the metal wall, such as Acetylene torch or jackhammer. Expect to find upwards of 100 pieces inside each, so over 200 per farm. You will also want a food processor to actually make the flour itself, as it will consume far less time then using manual tools.

Yeast can be found in kitchens here and there, and you won’t need much per bread. But for long term, don’t forget you can grow it yourself.

That being said, cornbread actually has more calories, lasts a lot longer, and can be used in just about as many recipes. It is just harder to find the corn.

I haven’t really ever played anything but vanilla, any mod recommendations? (I like the sci-fi shit)

Thanks mlangsdorf.
I agree blocking livestock from being passengers isn’t a top priority issue, but it’s nice to have it confirmed that it’s an unintended side effect.

Running into an obstacle with a cow in the seat behind you sounds like a really bad thing, and I’m fairly sure real life cows won’t use the seat belts either :wink:

Large animals like cows and horses shouldn’t be able to fit into seats but smaller animals like dogs, chickens and sheep should be fine.

Well, “fit” is one thing, but anything but dogs are probably not going to stay put (and I wouldn’t rely on dogs staying put either). You really don’t want to have a bunch of chicken in your face when trying to drive…

Edit:
Another question: For some reason my character suddenly has improved stats, with nothing on the character screen indicating any reason. The stats are STR: 12/9, DEX: 14/10, INT: 13/10, PER: 12/9, with the first number being the inflated one and the second being the original. Does anyone have any idea what’s happened?
The only thing I can think of is finishing Dino Dave’s fetch quest list., or possibly a quest to bring an electric motor to a refugee as a quest.

Edit:
I think I’ve found the cause, in which case it’s a bug. I DID save & quit my “real” save and created a new world where an experience -> stat growth mod was added to the basic set. I created a character and then saved & quit immediately, reloading my “real” save.
Killing CDDA and reloading the “real” save restored the stats of my character. Unfortunately, for some reason my companion has had his HP change from 81 to 21 while the inflated stats were active, and that effect hasn’t gone away (I’ve saved while this effect has been active), so I suspect there’s some data that isn’t purged properly between different saves.

Aftershock.              

I just found a thread stating that to invite the refugees in the Free Merchants lobby I’ll have to have a faction camp (I’d intended to recruit them and THEN start the camp), in addition to the obvious requirement of meeting the quests (although only Dino Dave’s quests are actually visible as quests, with the other things rather nebulous [can’t say I was that happy with sharing food and drink, only to find out that they’d taken all the food and all the water (i.e. the full stack of pemmican and all the water in the container), resulting in a somewhat hungry and thirsty trip “home”]).
I’m currently based on a farm where I’ve planted the fields, and just want to shift a few tiles to the side into the open fields, where I intend to set up my Craftmobile, Luxury RV, and, eventually, Foodmobile. However, I’ve got a lot of collected stuff, and it would take me forever to move the stuff (in particular things that aren’t stacked: 100 rags takes a long time). It seems I have to build various things at the camp because it’s rigidly set up that way, while I’d have preferred to go underground, but I can live with “useless” construction.

• Is there a way I can tell companions to haul my “stuff” piles from just outside of the camp to the zones within the camp (and also the parts from a couple of halfway deconstructed vehicles nearby, although moving that is considerably less of a pain than hauling the loot)?
  • How do I know where to paint the zones within the camp so they don’t clash with the “mandatory” stuff? It would be a pain to have to move stuff twice because my blind guess ended up designating the wrong place.
  • According to the camp to-do/upgrade list, a metal building requires 900 makeshift arc welder charges, but a battery only holds 150. Is it possible to fulfill the requirement incrementally, or do I actually need 6 arc welders to start the job (I CAN use acetylene instead, but electricity is renewable, while acetylene isn’t [or at least it isn’t currently, for my character])? (I don’t know if I’ve got the metal plates required, but getting them should just be a matter of a few trips to a cleared plane crash site).
  • The way I (currently think I) want to set up the “real” facilities within the camp (i.e. those used by the PC) would be by using an area with single tile zones with stuff for different categories, overlaid by a sorting zone (if I understand how it works correctly) with the Craftmobile on one side (for crafting, with access to the piles of stuff), and the RV (to be replaced by the Foodmobile eventually) on the other side (with access to the same piles of stuff, plus, of course, the food within its fridges and freezers). Is this a bad idea?

I’m a few tiles away from a small swamp, inhabited only by two horrible monsters in the form of chihuahuas, so salt water access shouldn’t be a problem. A pond with fish is also nearby, and the farm has a well that can be used until one is dug within the camp itself. There’s forest nearby, although the log supply will be provided by a logging mill 10 tiles or so off with vehicle access. There’s no river nearby, but that will have to wait for a second camp.

1. Zones - add - loot:unsorted
  2. Talk to companion and ask to sort nearby items.

Sadly, no way except digging in game files. Camp blueprints must be stored somewhere…
e: don’t try building something in the area before you commit to camp building/upgrading of that area. It doesn’t check for your alterations and can rewrite them. So your bed can end up in a newly-constructed wall, or something like that. Maybe it was fixed but if it was, I missed it.

Kinda. Crafting only check items in, IIRC, 15 tiles square around you (so, 7 tiles in each cardinal direction from your position). One overmap tile is already bigger than that. Also, visibility and/or movement blockers seem to block at least some of crafting resources. If you’re sure you want to make 2 different crafting spots and manage which resources go to which one, then go for it. I find it too tedious, easier to have one area for crafting everything.
And I’d recommend to make dedicated zone for unsorted loot and drop all loot there, that way if something is left unsorted for some reason, you can see it right away instead of it laying around your base who-knows-where.

Thanks.
So zones are not restricted to the camp footprint, then, but it looked like the unsorted zone had to overlap the sorted ones for sorting to take place? I can make a honking big zone to achieve that, of course (assuming there aren’t any size restrictions), but having the source being completely separated from the destination would simplify things (hm, one covering the two back cargo spaces of the expedition vehicle, but not the two front ones [where the mission equipment would be stored, would be useful]).

Thanks for the construction warning. It probably means I shouldn’t bring vehicles in before building has started. Cellars and the like will have to wait for the buildings anyway.

I think the crafting range is 6 tiles from the crafter’s position, resulting in a box. I’m not intending to have two different storage areas, but rather share the single area (of individual “stuff” tiles) between them. The “managing” would be that perishables have to be stored in fridges/freezers, but the rest should be shared, and I want to keep the vehicles sufficiently small that they can actually be moved when/if I decide to shift to a new camp as the main one.

My intention was to drop unsorted loot in a place distinct from the sorted ones (see vehicle trunk musing above). The overlap was only to handle the perceived requirement that the target would have to be within the same zone, but I’d intended to dump stuff on tiles not dedicated to categories.

I’ll take what you’ve told me and try to experiment a bit before reverting the save when I’ve gotten a (preliminary) handle on it. It sounds a bit odd that there isn’t a known blueprint published somewhere, though, as it seems like a fairly basic thing, but maybe I’m an oddball who neither starts a camp as soon as a location is chose, nor skip camps completely.

Edit: Found a guide with images, which might help out in my planning (assuming they’re still valid, of course): https://www.reddit.com/r/cataclysmdda/comments/edg5y0/a_beginners_guide_to_faction_bases/. The two NPC requirement mentioned is outdated, so other things may be as well.

Yes, unsorted zone does not have to overlap sorted ones, although it can. I just usually have some unsorted zones in my vehicle and sort everything from there.
Regarding vehicles: you can only define a zone that’s connected to the vehicle if you define 1-tile zone (in this case, zone manager will ask to bind the zone to the vehicle tile).

Ah, thanks for the vehicle-zone binding info.

I’m experiencing some weird thing, though:

• I defined a camp and set up some zones and asked the companion to sort stuff from outside of the camp (my current storage areas). He started doing so. I then killed the game, restarted, recreated the camp, and found that the zones I had created were saved (the game asks about that, but the rest of the progress wasn’t saved).
  • It seems the companion will sort stuff only when my character is “sufficiently close” to the camp (about within one tile outside). When I move further away I get the report that the companion is done sorting. Giving the sort order again causes him to go there and finish immediately, but if I move inside the camp and give the order he walks away and starts to shuffle stuff. As I had intended to go away and repair a zombie smashing vehicle, that’s not really working as I had expected.

Edit:

1. There are still weird things happening with camp sorting. It seems things sufficiently far away from the camp sometimes won’t get picked up (the companion did take care of some things, but not most of them). Also, I’ve got some stacks of things that suddenly won’t be sorted from the “unsorted” tile, while other stacks continue to do so, and stacks of the same kinds having been moved previously (as in within the same game session).
    (And it certainly would help if there was a way to enable display of the zones (beyond Y->highlight one zone at a time, although the bugged stacks now serve as a marker).

2. My companion is still bugged after I created a different world after only save & quit (without closing CDDA), save & quit that one immediately after character creation, and then load the “main” save, so he only has 20 HP rather than the 81 he had before. Is there some way to hack him back to health?

literally any of the max evo’d stuff from Secronom, or the dragons from Secronom, or the flesh from Secronom, and you’ll def need that amount of damage output for Magiclysm’s dragons and some of Arcana’s ruin. Also, zombie dinosaurs are a thing, be wary of that.

I’ve got some trouble with the beggar quests at the Free Merchants (0.E stable):

1. I think the quests should eventually allow you to recruit the beggars as a group, and I think it’s been implemented (searching has found posts a from the last year about working on it, so it might not be done yet).
  2. Quests are inconsistent as to whether they show up as Missions. Dino Dave’s task do, while the mushroom lady’s (single?) doesn’t. Inside the shelter there are at least two “quests” that don’t show up, but completing one (get some grass), it seems those are more in the vein of trade offers. If so, it would still make sense to have those tracked as Missions (different tab?).
  3. The dialogs are rather static in most cases, so it’s hard to tell if any progress is made. You can give food to some of the beggars, but that doesn’t reflect in the dialog (and they take the whole stack, rather than one item), and for at least one character giving more food resulted in it being dropped on the floor. Mushroom lady’s dialog is the same after returning a “sample” (and I had no idea what a “sample” would be, but butchery seemed to be it [rather than some particular dropped item]), with the same dialog happening when offering another sample.
  4. I’ve done all(?) of Dino Dave’s quests, and he keeps talking about just needing some time, and keep doing so after after several days. I don’t know if it’s supposed to evolve, and, if so, if time is all that’s needed.
  5. I’ve go a (rudimentary) base (half a building with beds an a stove), but have no idea what I’d need for refugee recruitment to be an option.

Edit: Poked at it some more, and it did work out. Apparently I had to start with Reena (might not be necessary), and had to give each of them more food to get to the “come with me” options, which wasn’t exactly obvious. I suspect the problem was that I didn’t have a base when I talked to them the first time, and at that time more food didn’t result in any dialog difference. I’d suggest modifying Yusuke’s dialog to indicate the need for a camp. Something along the lines of “I can live on the move, but my friends need a camp to live in”, with the PC dialog indicating that a camp is present if one exists, and a bare “come with me” if it doesn’t, prompting Yusuke to the answer above…

1 Like