Throwing batteries does no damage

Thats odd, I’ve never had that happen before. What were you disassembling?

In other circumstances I’ve had a number of odd things happen to key assignments when dealing with charges, say having 3 flashlights, 1 with 100 charges, 1 with 99 charges, and 1 with 0 charges, wasn’t disassembling anything though.
I generally 'U’nload stuff before messing around with multiple stacks of charged items now, when they’re all in one stack nothing particularly awkward happens.

Thats odd, I’ve never had that happen before. What were you disassembling?[/quote]

Books. I’d just finished looting a library, and decided to tear up my spares for fuel. In the process, I (unfortunately) made a giant stack of paper impossible to pick up, but I was able to transfer the whole 20000+ stack into my furnace. Burned for weeks, IIRC.

cans actually have a special chemical in them that is highly reactive with acid. shredding them up along with a little extra buffer metal, and adding acid produces a fine powder, colloquially known as “batteries”. all electrical devices have compartments which store this powder, and use it ultra efficiently to produce energy, leaving behind no trace.

This seems like a lot more inventory tedium, a lot more room for error, and a lot more general problems.

I just like to think batteries are some kind of ultra-non-dense matter that is burned up for the released fission energy.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:12, topic:3214”]If we rework batteries to work like batteries (similar to liquid containers is a good point) instead of like ammunition, they’ll work like real batteries, in that if they’re not rechargeable all you can do is load them and have them run down, then possibly scrap them for parts, and if they’re rechargeable you’ll stick them in some device to recharge them.

“transfering power between batteries” is not something you can do without an intervening charging device. Probably your main interaction would be to load them into a charger hooked up to a power source, or possibly just a larger battery (for example a car battery).[/quote]

You can actually recharge non rechargeable batteries(at times with dire circumstance). I do it all the time, they probably have reduced lifespan and such, and while charging they typically hiss and occasionally get hot.

[HUE]

"Recharging batteries with batteries"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brdmnUBAS00
[/HUE]

[quote=“wad67, post:25, topic:3214”]You can actually recharge non rechargeable batteries(at times with dire circumstance). I do it all the time, they probably have reduced lifespan and such, and while charging they typically hiss and occasionally get hot.

[HUE]

"Recharging batteries with batteries"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brdmnUBAS00
[/HUE][/quote]

Excellent trolling, but in all seriousness… technical yes, practical no. Sure, it’s possible to ‘recharge’ an alkaline (non-rechargeable) battery with the right equipment… but you don’t get much charge out of the process, and the resulting batteries are very weak, and likely to leak (a mess which can damage your devices) or explode (more damage, plus possibly setting fire to your house). And, of course, you need a reliable source of electricity to run a charger of any kind, much less a shady alkaline charger.

This makes it a bad idea IRL, but a fun idea in-game. If you had a homemade jury-rigged battery charger made of scrap and wires, running off an equally jury-rigged electrical source… say, hunks of scrap metal attached to wires sitting in a bucket of acid (what the ‘batteries’ currently made in-game would actually look like, based on the recipe)… then you probably would get bad effects like this, no matter how ‘chargeable’ they are. ‘Bad effects’ here meaning either very slow charge rate and a partial charge cycle (if the power is too low), or degradation of battery quality and possible physical damage to the battery (if the power is too high). And, of course, a battery abused in this way might leak or explode, for additional fun.

Once we have actual battery “items” perhaps we could jury rig some kind of ridiculous contraption.
Say we have a standard depleted, non rechargeable battery 0/100 (zero charge)
We hook it up to some low/skill low/quality recharging device and the battery is now 20/80 (Partial Charge, battery is slightly damaged)
If we continue to run it on the jury rigged device, the process would continue.
30/70
40/60
50/50
After this point, the battery will continue to degrade with no benefit, once this occurs there will be a small chance for the battery to explode, damaging the player slightly and destroying the battery, potentially damaging the charger.

Perhaps better “chargers” would provide better ratios to charging batteries.