The (lack of a) Bionic Dealership in the wasteland

So, as we all know, bionic parts are strewn around the wasteland, in walking loot droppers, with termites, and even inside of your ex survivors. We also see various flyers alongside the roads advertising the installation of these bionics at your local bionic boutique.
But, what we have not seen yet is the actual buildings where these metal bits are jammed in.
Ok, enough with the salesman shtick I’m pulling, someone add a bionic dealership.

If at all possible, I suggest that it does NOT have more than 2-3 complete CBMs available, but instead have a large machine that creates them for a small fee.[sup]1[/sup]
I also suggest that the implementation of a separate machine that, for another small fee,[sup]1[/sup] will implant a CBM the player adds to the machine beforehand, or even remove bionics that the player might have botched.
[sup]1:Somewhere between like $500,000 and $1,000,000. Depending on the desired CMB.[/sup]

As this might seem like a huge boost to any player that could come across it, I finally submit a new type of zombie:
A mashing of a Hulk and Shocker, with super-alloy skin, improved strength and dexterity, and a six pack made of rapid firing fusion blasters.
I call it the Tankenstein.

Hospitals are traditionally where folks went for aug-installation. I suppose there might be back-alley doctor’s-office facilities too. Either way, the most I’d expect from a machine is helping out with the details, not a full-blown install.

Aside: You still fly?

[quote=“KA101, post:2, topic:6735”]Hospitals are traditionally where folks went for aug-installation. I suppose there might be back-alley doctor’s-office facilities too. Either way, the most I’d expect from a machine is helping out with the details, not a full-blown install.

Aside: You still fly?[/quote]
Clearly, I need to go check out a few different hospitals in the current experimental, see if I can’t find anything that screams “Playing god with blips and pings instead of tentacles and cat eyes.”

Also, define fly, if you would.

i like the auto-doc machine that installs or removes your bionics for cash. it would make getting money a worthwhile activity combined with those ammo vendomats. doc offices could have those for example. hacking them could also have amusing results.

come to think about it, a medibot that heals(and sometimes mutilates) zombies and you indiscriminately could be a fun addition

Oh god, Medibots, feels ss13 man.
I’d love to see an Auto-Surgeon machine for implanting CBMs! It’d be hilarious to give it a small chance to install a burnt out/malfunctioning CBM based on the furniture’s state of durability, and have that randomized a bit on spawn, so that a pristine piece of Auto-Surgeon equipment is a bit of a rarity.

[quote=“The Admiral, post:3, topic:6735”][quote=“KA101, post:2, topic:6735”]Hospitals are traditionally where folks went for aug-installation. I suppose there might be back-alley doctor’s-office facilities too. Either way, the most I’d expect from a machine is helping out with the details, not a full-blown install.

Clearly, I need to go check out a few different hospitals in the current experimental, see if I can’t find anything that screams “Playing god with blips and pings instead of tentacles and cat eyes.”

Also, define fly, if you would.[/quote]

Currently nothing at the level you describe exists, and I don’t think it fits in the lore. (Humans would be doing the install.) You can sometiimes find augs in hospitals, because they were being prepped for installation.

Fly as in airplane.

So… LIMB Clinics?

Is there a consensus on what bionics actually are yet? Nanotechnology or biomechanical?
I think we need to get that straightened out before any additions or changes are made to the bionics system.

Because if they are nanotech we can say that they come pre-programmed in canisters to assemble inside the body into whatever is needed, no actual surgery required and tailored to the individual. But the bionics would be so woven into the body that removal would likely be impossible.

If they are biomechanical on the other hand, they would definitely require surgery to install, but they would replace rather than enhance bodyparts. Which would mean that while removal is possible, it would leave you with a severe handicap, what with missing limbs or internal organs and whatnot.

What i’m saying is that bionics right now are in a nebulous install-to-get-better-at-everything state. They put the player on the fast track to becoming a cybernetic god, which is not fun because takes all the challenge out of the game. (A game which is slowly becoming less post-apocalyptic zombie survival and more sci-fi top-down zombie shooting gallery, if you ask me)

Given the mechanics and electronics knowledge required for install I’d say they were far closer to Biomechanical.

Mutations would be a lot closer to nanotech than true ‘mutations’ as in most cases it’s [REDACTED] filling in the blank spots while doing repairs and upkeep, radiation stimulates this not because it damages human DNA, but because the radiation induced cell death triggers [REDACTED] host repair instincts.

Also I’m pretty sure some devs suggested EMP and energy draining creatures to help balance out the inexoriable climb to cybernetic deity, but people protested hard for such admirable reasons as:

“That’s not scientific enough!”
“M-muh bionics!”
“T-that would mean I might have to alter my playstyle.”
“Please don’t make me touch filthy plebian weapons like a stick, machette, flamethrower, diamond katanna, or heavens forbid an automatic grenade shotgun.”
“You can’t nerf us!”
“I’ll hate you forever if I cannot always use my power armored hydrolic-muscled, plasma cannon wielding war god at maximum efficiency!”
“Why are you hurting creativity!”

[quote=“KA101, post:2, topic:6735”]Hospitals are traditionally where folks went for aug-installation. I suppose there might be back-alley doctor’s-office facilities too. Either way, the most I’d expect from a machine is helping out with the details, not a full-blown install.

A back alley doctors office? Sounds like the perfect thing to find in a basement, broken cyborgs included.

i like this idea but only bionic what can be seen on civilian market should be in these places

what about dissection machines in labs?

imo they should be able to remove bionics and maybe some mutations

[quote=“zach123b, post:12, topic:6735”]what about dissection machines in labs?

imo they should be able to remove bionics and maybe some mutations[/quote]

1 place can both remove and instal bionics but mutations are not public before cataclysm only few sciencist few days before world ended was working on mutagens

eh maybe with enough computer skills you program it? get rid of some parasites and small amount of genetics like tails?

[quote=“Arek_PL, post:13, topic:6735”][quote=“zach123b, post:12, topic:6735”]what about dissection machines in labs?

1 place can both remove and instal bionics but mutations are not public before cataclysm only few sciencist few days before world ended was working on mutagens[/quote]

Labs are where mutagen work took place, so if such a machine existed (I’m not in favor), it would be in a lab. :wink:

[quote=“KA101, post:15, topic:6735”][quote=“Arek_PL, post:13, topic:6735”][quote=“zach123b, post:12, topic:6735”]what about dissection machines in labs?

1 place can both remove and instal bionics but mutations are not public before cataclysm only few sciencist few days before world ended was working on mutagens[/quote]

Labs are where mutagen work took place, so if such a machine existed (I’m not in favor), it would be in a lab. ;-)[/quote]

new lab final? or new room in normal lab?

I like the OP’s idea.