The Crowbar

This really bothers me. I may be thinking too far into it, but it still really bothers me. You can make a crowbar by using a rock on a pipe to bend it. That’s all fine. But then you USE the crowbar by opening doors and windows by…bending it into position and using force. Pretty much the same way you used to make it. Wouldn’t, by logic, bend back into a regular pipe?

The locks on doors and windows are weaker then the crowbar, thus the crowbar remains unbent while the lock breaks. It’s the same reason why crowbars won’t end up badly bent after you use them in real life.

A legit crowbar yeah, but if you’ve just mashed it into shape with a rock it’s as likely to bend itself back or break :stuck_out_tongue: This is something that’ll be addressed once we have different tool qualities added in.

I always figured the homemade crowbar was simply the flattening of one end so it would fit in more places. Crowbars are used as a lever after being wedged between surfaces, it doesn’t need to be bent into any actual shape for use.

This.

The end on a crowbar is to make it more efficient as a wedge. So you can easily open your neighbors garbage dumpster so you don’t have to pay for rubbish pickup.

Like so? Obviously this isn’t home made, but:

You guys are thinking of pry bars, which admittedly, are almost identical in function. Sounds like a solid argument in favour of the pipe+rock bar still working fine.

I guess that would make a lot more sense than how I had it figured haha. But tool/weapon condition would be a welcome addition from me, none-the less. Keeps you on your toes lol.

Depends on how thick the pipe is.

Also, how do lockers drop pipes?

Did I just spoil something?

shrug my locker in highschool had a pipe in it.

also a hoodie and a katana.

Well, I have all your equipment in my locker. You should probably come get it cause I can’t fit my nunchakus in there anymore.

Pansy ninja folk, I just use a Morningstar or a piston-blade.

Bonus points to whoever gets the reference

Does it have to do with a certain red afro’ed guy? Because if so, I’ll be expecting those bonus points. I’m not kidding, I’ll be sending an invoice your way…

Pthalocy dances fantastically, then skulks offstage while everyone’s distracted

Walks out on stage, shitfaced drunk and slurs “Go home mother, I’m drunk.” Before falling unconscious on the microphone stand

I just don’t think that the crafted crowbar should actually be the same item as the crowbar. It should be its own item, with different and lesser stats, that otherwise has the same function as a crowbar when used on the environment. I’m not sure exactly what the planned item quality will be able to distinguish. Maybe that will be enough. But in the meantime, just having the pipe become a different item such as ‘Pipe Prybar’ or ‘Makeshift Prybar’ or something be sufficient.

I agree, makeshift items should be their own thing, crafting a legitimate comparison to industrial goods/tools should require high skill as well as proper tools and equipment, not a rock and a smashed apart locker.

The game shouldn’t be expected to provide a perfect analog to real world manufacturing in its crafting system, otherwise it would become so bogged down with component parts as to be somewhat ridiculous.

Regardless, crowbars are not complex devices, just a piece of metal with a wedge at the end.

[quote=“halberdsturgeon, post:18, topic:1571”]The game shouldn’t be expected to provide a perfect analog to real world manufacturing in its crafting system, otherwise it would become so bogged down with component parts as to be somewhat ridiculous.

Regardless, crowbars are not complex devices, just a piece of metal with a wedge at the end.[/quote]
I’m not asking for a perfect crafting system, I’d just prefer that makeshift items be represented as actual makeshift items, genuine high quality tools can’t be made by bashing metal with rocks, even though you could achieve a facsimile of the intended result it wouldn’t be anywhere near as good.

I’m looking forward to the new tool quality system that has been proposed. Reshaping metal is significantly easier if you have a hammer and a heat source, versus a single rock and a pipe.

The average pry/crow bar: Titanium rod, heat treated and hardened.
The average bashed pipe: Low carbon steel, impact damaged, maybe even cracked from bashing it with a rock.

One can cost hundreds of dollars for a top quality, the other costs like…20? I don’t know the cost of pipe lol.
One will NEVER bend or snap under pressure from a non mutated, non CBM based human, the other already has.

As a 4th year heavy metal fabricator, I can say that low carbon steel ain’t worth a damn as a pry bar. A melee weapon however…