Technical Stuff

Ok, so I am a total noob to Cataclysm, and some of the technical stuff behind it.
Some questions I have:
If you had a save file in stable, could you move it to experimental and how?
How would one update the experimental every time it changed without losing their progress?

Just need to move the save folder, optionally also the config folder in to the newer version

memorial folder might also be worth keeping if you want to remember your older chars run in to the new folder form the experimental

What ever you do NEVER extract an version on another, that includes when updating to a later experimental build

Important note, but it’s generally a good idea to save a copy before you necessarily update. We’re generally rather good about keeping save compatibility (and fixing it so that it works even if we do break it), but there have been cases before where we missed something and a couple of versions have killed old saves that are updated into them, and if you don’t have a save copied somewhere it’s slightly possible you could lose it (though not necessarily likely).

[quote=“COS_Cecillian, post:1, topic:10595”]Ok, so I am a total noob to Cataclysm, and some of the technical stuff behind it.
Some questions I have:
If you had a save file in stable, could you move it to experimental and how?
How would one update the experimental every time it changed without losing their progress?[/quote]

Keeping in mind that save compatibility sometimes can break, if you build from source you do not need to update to another folder.

I just do:

(the make clean is probably not really needed)

and play the latest…