[suggestion] The plague bringer

This man once witnessed the worst plagues that hit our planet, now he admire the ultimate, most powerful of them, the one that teared humankind apart. Now he walks the deserted world, wearing it’s black robe and a Plague mask, but he is not lonely, around him an aura of death and sufference persist, plagues of the past, present and the future walks with him, thoose who have met this shady figure never came back, upon his touch every single bacteria, virus and pathogens enters your body, causing an inevitable and painful death.

After this brief introduction i am going to describe the Plague Bringer.
-He is a nether creature.
-He always walks, never run, occasionally vanish in a cloud of black smoke, to re-appear somewhere near the player.
-Can be killed only with special artifacts.
-Appear after a month of playing.
-Only one will be spawned for each world.
-He will only have an attack: “Fatal touch”.
-Upon touch you have about 10 minutes before the plague unleash his deadly sympthoms (fever, temperature swings, vomit, loss of bionics functionalities, bloodloss and so on…).
-After transferring the plague, the Plague Bringer will move around the player for five minutes or so before vanishing.
-If killed you can obtain from him the item “The cure to all plagues”.
-“The cure to all plagues” will make the player immune to any kind of pathogen, even the zombie virus, and eventually cure the plague if infected.
-You can still slow down the effect of the plague throught normal medicinals but at a certain point the infection will become incurable (4-5 days).
-If you don’t manage to find and kill the Plague Bringer in this little time you will certainly succumb.

Funsizeninja123 have suggested to define less OP traits for this suggested Monster (I will keep the originals for those of you who would like to see the original idea along with the changes)
-He is vulnerable to every kind of weapon, he is very weak to fire (In the middle ages people tought he worked as a purifier).
-Will spawn after a year.
-Only one of them is spawned, once killed it shall never come back.
-He will only walk, so it’s can be easily outrunned.
-He will still have the “Fatal touch” attack, with all the effects described in the original version.
-His attack can be easily dodged.
-When killed, the player will get the trait “Disease resistant”.
-The player can get, from the body of the Plague Bringer, the antidote for “the plague”.

This “shady” figure is supposed to be a supernatural being that represent plagues that hit our planet, for thoose of you who believe in the bible this may be defined as one of the four Knights of the Apocalypse.

I hope my suggestion is intriguing enough to raise your interest.

No. Even after quite a few ‘years’ of cata I’ve never found a strange temple.

Only a month? Really?

[quote=“duke455, post:1, topic:3861”]-He will only have an attack: “Fatal touch”.
-Upon touch you have about 10 minutes before the plague unleash his deadly sympthoms (fever, temperature swings, vomit, loss of bionics functionalities, bloodloss and so on…).[/quote]

I’d rather not have an insta-death guy walking out there.

How will we kill him?

OP as hell.

[quote=“duke455, post:1, topic:3861”]-You can still slow down the effect of the plague throught normal medicinals but at a certain point the infection will become incurable (4-5 days).
-If you don’t manage to find and kill the Plague Bringer in this little time you will certainly succumb.[/quote]

No. If we can’t find this teleporting arse in 4-5 days then we will die. Plague won’t even be cured with regular meds.

*You’re *interest

Now look, I’m sorry if this post came off as snarky or whatever, but I don’t want a rare, insta killing, teleporting guy who has the only cure in the world.

Agree with Ninja about the insta-kill and “ultimate item” aspect of the plague doctor - I suggest you tone it down, make him a rare monster with somewhat powerful attack and resistance, reflecting his neither origin.

Ok… ok… maybe i exaggerated a bit over this (sorry for the typing errors, I will provide to correct them asap).
-You are absolutely right about the artifact (Sorry I didn’t knew they were so rare).
-The moment of spawn can also be set to an year or so.
-We are talking about one of its kind, so an extremely rare monster, also the fact that he can be both killed with normal weapons, outrunned ( the teleport ability may be removed ), and his attack can be dodged easily, makes him less “OP” so this main feature for this monster shall stay.
-Can still be renamed to “The antidote for the plague”, so it won’t be OP.
-Sorry again for the grammatical horrors errors.

Yeah. After changes, I can see this going in.

How does it fit into the lore?

I like the idea of adding more supernatural monsters. Not so much this guy, though.

Oh, the lore, I forget to mention it, as Inadequate said, this is a supernatural monster, it represent pestilence, so, the main plague that characterize Cata.
Let me explain, with this I want to personify the pathogen that annihilated humankind, making it not only a microscopic being that re-animate corpses but something that walks among us, something we can clearly distingush, it’s part of the lore because it represent the virus itself. This may appear strange, maybe unrealistic, but rember we are talking about Cataclysm.
This is also the motivation that made me classify it as a Netherworld inhabitant.

I’m sorry for not mentioning the idea behind my suggestion before.

There is no virus in Cataclysm lore. The beings that caused the (non viral) infection can already be encountered in game. The player is already infected, and most players wouldn’t WANT to remove the infection since it would leave them weaker and unable to mutate.

My bad then, I’m sorry for my mistake, I never really read the lore. I thought that everything started with manmade virus o something like that.
I will get more informations before posting this kind of suggestions.

It is loosely an infectious agent though, stay nonspecific and it should be fine.

I like the concept, but it does need some tweaks, both mechanically and thematically to fit into the game.

One thematic issue is that most (if not all) dangers in DDA are specificaly NOT anthropomorphized.
A “Four horseman” style enemy is perfectly fine, but within the lore and theme of the game, the closest I can think of is a nether creature wearing the skin of a human or zombie with the specific purpose of hunting down troublemakers.

According to lore, nether creatures cannot normally survive far from portals, in a kind of “war of the worlds” manner.

That having been said, I’d much rather such a thing be unleashed based on the player taking some specific action to bring themselves to the attention of the nether creature rather than it being merely time based.
What’s the rationale for this unique creature coming after the player? Even with the apparent 0.0001% or so survival rate evinced in the game, there are still many thousand survivors scattered across the world, which evokes the Santa Paradox of how does it appear everywhere there is a player? This is resolved if the appearance of the creature is triggered by some exceptional act on the part of the player, such as destroying or otherwise imeding the function of a nether portal.

Finally, I don’t really like the, “the only way to survive is to kill it” thing. I’d be fine with the disease being exempt from the usual methods (e.g. royal jelly), and having killing it be one avenue for a cure is great, but I’d prefer not to require only one way for it to happen. I think a longer duration of the disease, and a way to research it and develop a cure would be called for.

Did you get inspiration from this?
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-049

my opinion is it would be great if we could have more stuff like SCP

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-087 WILL happen.

Picture the average cata player.

“Oh, stairs! Let’s see where this goes.”
Proceeds to > down a few sets of stairs

“Hm. This is weird.”

“You hear something behind you!”

heh, that would be “FUN” but… it would need a really creepy description and where would it hide?
Temples? random house?, subways?,
actually the SCP lore says it in a school… but I don’t think a school would be the best place for it.
or it might be the best place for it.

For a moment I thought that the spawn of this creature had to be triggered by an action caused by the player, the real question that stopped me from proposing it was: what could trigger the arrival of one of the knights of the apocalypse? In that case I ran out of ideas. You don’t have to kill it to survive anyway, I tought about this, more as a passive Monster, meaning that he won’t break down doors or windows, he could be easily seald in one place, you can watch as he stare at you from the window, but you know that if something happen, whatever happens, you must not enter that house. The example is simple, stranded from a glorious fight against a horde of whatever-you-want, under an acid rain, you have to find a shelter to heal and eat something, you enter the first house you find, your first thought is “mmmmh, looks familiar”, as you realize what kind of hellspawn was hidden in there, you start sweating cold, you try to make a run for the exit but you find him staring at you, in front of the door, not a single word, just his arm stretched forward to give you his fatal touch.

About the thematic, can we pretend that maybe this is not a human body? Maybe a gelationus mass of bacteria and viruses molded together into a human form, this would justify the fact that he(I will keep refering to this thing as he) has not the strength to smash doors or windows.
In this case obviously his weak/strength points should be accuratley rewievd, another hipotesis that should fit into the lore, is that the goo took control of a skeleteon, and that goo was somehow infected with a sperimental biological weapon, that is referred by those who witnessed it as “the plague”. Still need an excuse for the plague doctor outfit.

[quote=“Mcrone, post:12, topic:3861”]Did you get inspiration from this?
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-049

my opinion is it would be great if we could have more stuff like SCP[/quote]

No, really the idea popped up while watching this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAa1bbgFdkI