Storage and dropping items

This. I’ve never known about this - can you drop a duffel bag + 120 volume of ‘stuff’ and then pick up the bag only ? “Can ?”, as in “will it take …two turns in total ?”. IRL I would approximate that with dumping out the bags contents onto the ground, but how about ingame mechanics ?

Making it cost fewer turns to drop stuff with a container wasn’t super difficult (Though I’m grateful to whoever did that), I’m pretty sure they haven’t done the reverse, as it would require a bit more information to avoid exploitation (IE, while carrying nothing you drop a duffel bag into a refrigerator, then loot the entire thing in a mere 2 turns). Bags will need an entirely new data field of what they have in them minimum to implement picking containers back up.

The eventual plan is that things will actually get stored in bags/containers/etc, and you’d just be able to drop your duffel bag and the stuff you had in it would go with it.

One of the issues is just making it convenient to do, where you can still just loot things when you have ‘open space’ without thinking about where exactly you’re stashing them, so it might turn out when you drop your duffel bag and run away that you were storing all your first aid kits in it.
But you’d also want the player to be able to pick which bag he’s storing things in, so every bag has to know what it has in it, and be able to move things around, even if you throw it on the ground or it breaks, there’s a lot of things involved so it isn’t exactly a trivial implementation.

Another issue that goes along with this that the eventual hopeful implementation of items actually going INTO storage gear will fix: A conundrum that I call “The Jeans Problem”.

Say you’re wearing a pair of Jeans and no other storage-giving gear. Jeans have 2 volume units of storage. So if you grabbed two cans of root beer (1 storage each) and put them in your inventory you would imagine the survivor crammed 1 can into each front pocket (I assume we’re only using the front pockets for storage). This makes sense. However…

If you pick up a plastic bottle of water instead of 2 cans of root beer. Plastic bottles take up 2 storage spots each, so your character would be able to fit the bottle into their inventory with only the jeans. But if you think about it this shouldn’t be possible, because the jeans have 2 storage split up over the two front pockets so there’s no way they should be able to store the plastic bottle logically, because the jeans don’t have any pockets that fit 2 volume, they have 2 pockets that fit 1 volume each, right?

Ladies and gentlemen, The Jeans Problem. If it was fixed we would be able to stop people’s ability to (in a fellow forum-keepers’ words) “wear enough clothes and fit an engine in your damn pants”.

Or fit a tank in your pockets.

[quote=“IcedPee, post:23, topic:5911”]Another issue that goes along with this that the eventual hopeful implementation of items actually going INTO storage gear will fix: A conundrum that I call “The Jeans Problem”.

Say you’re wearing a pair of Jeans and no other storage-giving gear. Jeans have 2 volume units of storage. So if you grabbed two cans of root beer (1 storage each) and put them in your inventory you would imagine the survivor crammed 1 can into each front pocket (I assume we’re only using the front pockets for storage). This makes sense. However…

If you pick up a plastic bottle of water instead of 2 cans of root beer. Plastic bottles take up 2 storage spots each, so your character would be able to fit the bottle into their inventory with only the jeans. But if you think about it this shouldn’t be possible, because the jeans have 2 storage split up over the two front pockets so there’s no way they should be able to store the plastic bottle logically, because the jeans don’t have any pockets that fit 2 volume, they have 2 pockets that fit 1 volume each, right?

Ladies and gentlemen, The Jeans Problem. If it was fixed we would be able to stop people’s ability to (in a fellow forum-keepers’ words) “wear enough clothes and fit an engine in your damn pants”.[/quote]

Meh. I can fit a plastic bottle of clean water into one jeans pocket IRL. I know that JA2 style inventory has its merits, though.