Starting the Journey

I almost always start in the evac shelter, just kinda feels ‘right’ to me somehow.
Other than that, I usually build my characters less off of efficiency and more after a certain ‘theme.’ The Quick Thief, the Thicc Lumberjack, the Grumpy Tailor, etc.

Things that you would think “it can smell me” will (most zombies for example), but won’t always follow the scent (some of them only follow a scent trail if they aren’t attracted by some loud noise)

Some mutation increase/decrease your scent. If you are smelly, you will leave a big trail behind you (and around you overtime) so it won’t be effective to hide too close to a area where Z can path; but on the other hand, my last char have the opposite mutation, and I crouch/hide around with a box while ignored by nearly everything.
Heck during the night, since I’m also nearly silent, I can walk near zombie (3 tiles away) in the middle of the road and most of them won’t even notice me. Before I would always be smelly, and they would always come back to me a little later, following the trail I leave behind. Because of this I would always need to cancel regularly what I’m going.

If you need to lure, it’s easy enough to throw something that make noise (Im not sure about the name of the item I used when I started, was it firecrackers ?) so there isn’t any scent from you between where the sound is and you, then hide in a box while you dismantle and take away the solar panel and whatever.

If you are careful with the noise/odor the box make it easy to sneak around the curtains and close them too. Or in some case you can just crouch, but it only works if you stand next to a furniture that allow you to crouch behind it

You can always peek around if you need to (X for me), you can see one square away but they won’t see you. Like, the same way you can see trough a door with a peephole. Can’t peek around while doing something else though.

Side note, pretty sure the headless hulk don’t care about anything like this. He keep running around in a weird pattern, so it’s actually one guys you need to watch for if you can’t handle it in melee. Go caught more than once by him alone (even if it wasn’t any trouble at this point).

1 Like