Something simple but a life saver

I’m sure everyone who feels the need to arrange all there gear in their base has at some point been annoyed at the amount of keys you need to press to drop your gear in to keep it all nice and near. So I propose that fixed keys be implemented on all the certain groups of items. You could check these when you want to drop something. For example ammo is a bad one with the amount of differant types. So instead of pressing all the keys associated with each ammo type. You could press a key associated to whole ammo group. Thus saving immense amount of micro management.

You could always just use advanced inventory management, then you only need to press (TAB)-(Number key)-(m lots of times).

Personally I’m not opposed to the idea, but since the game can only handle something like 75 inventory keys right now, any additional ones that are added will directly decrease the maximum number of item types that you can carry/wear simultaneously (and if you play anything like me that is what determines your inventory size, not the weight/volume maximums).

I don’t get why almost all rogue likes have the retarded (imo) system of keys…

Just make a menu.
Up down left right.
Enter.
Possible actions submenu.

Basically just the crafting menu but different tags.

[quote=“TheRealTenman, post:3, topic:1262”]I don’t get why almost all rogue likes have the retarded (imo) system of keys…

Just make a menu.
Up down left right.
Enter.
Possible actions submenu.

Basically just the crafting menu but different tags.[/quote]

And then instead of spending 5 minutes organizing, we will be spending 20. No thanks.

Could make it an option…

But I think it would be fast…

tak tak tak…tak tak tak tak Click. tak.

compared to:
tak…Looking for stuff and its key…tak tak tak

Of course when packet inventory gets implemented this would be useless.
Containers and stuff will be awesome.

Yeah, agreed for expandable categories once we manage to get a solution for the symbol limit in.

As for the Rotary menu vs. Key menu, I could see it as an option, but I wouldn’t want to force anyone to use it. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Key Menu:
Cons:
Extremely difficult to use prior to memorization
Requires traversing the keyboard for various keys

Pros:
Usually very fast once memorized
Allows for a large number of options (asking what to drop, for instance)
Most commands fairly easy to memorize (‘d’ for drop for example, or ‘c’ for close)
Difficult to mis-enter commands (with a few exceptions such as the drop menu, it’s very difficult to enter wrong commands)

Radial Menu:
Cons:
Fairly difficult to memorize (every command uses arrows, I find up-down-up more difficult to link with “drop” then ‘d’)
Easy to mis-enter commands (one slip and you’ve thrown your weapon at the zombie instead of the active mininuke)
Only can have a limited number of options at a given screen (at this point it can only have 8 + “back” option vs the Key menu’s 75+ options)

Pros:
Easy to use prior to memorization
Allows for logical organization of commands easier then the Key menu
All command keys located in the same place

For speed I’d rate them about the same. The radial menu wins in options of that aren’t used often (since you have to hunt for those), but the Key menu wins for the most common options due to the fact that many players place their second hand right on top of those keys. Personally I can see new players liking the radial menu much better, but those who have already learned the key menu will much prefer it due to it’s ability to quickly handle the most common commands in 2 key presses as opposed to 3-7.

So you have never had s-Bleach a-first aid and accidentally pressed s?

So you have never had s-Bleach a-first aid and accidentally pressed s?[/quote]
Yes, but that falls under the “multiple item” menu exception. What I’m talking about here is the fact that you never accidentally order your guy to throw something when you want to open a door, or move down stairs when you want to open the “eat” menu.

I personally use some fixed keys for certain items. Like ‘o’ for crowbar, ‘q’ for sewing kit, ‘a’ for scissors, ‘R’ for the books to read currently, and other obvious stuff like ‘E’ for vitamins when you get some … keep it pressed until it’s finished.

Anything else I don’t care about.