Some ideas for the structure of an NPC overhaul

I like OP’s ideas.

Yaaay! :3

Okay, but seriously, this thread mostly turned into a big, off-topic argument; but then I did invite discussion, so eh. My opinion is that, if something is done wrong, especially in programming, it takes tons of effort to get it back where it was, let alone to make actual progress. So, taking the time to do it right is better. Patience, my friends.

Anywho, I’ll go ahead and poke at some bugs later today, maybe make a crude implementation of my earlier IntLevelCap suggestion. Be a place to start.

By the way, love the idea scarf. +1.

in the current codebase, the only way for a monster (for example a turret) to fire a gun is to spawn a magical fake npc at its location with the gun and have them fire it.
Perfect example of not doing something right in the first place by the way :stuck_out_tongue:
we can and probably will roll out replacement npcs with a stripped down inventory etc, but it’s decidedly non-trivial to do so.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:24, topic:5087”]in the current codebase, the only way for a monster (for example a turret) to fire a gun is to spawn a magical fake npc at its location with the gun and have them fire it.
Perfect example of not doing something right in the first place by the way :stuck_out_tongue:
we can and probably will roll out replacement npcs with a stripped down inventory etc, but it’s decidedly non-trivial to do so.[/quote]

So the turrets are really just gates to another dimension where people have guns to shoot at you? o.O I knew it.

Sigged.

Although I get the resistance to ‘hacks’, I do think that stripped down NPCs (basically monsters that fire at you or something) would be a great first step and would be good to get implemented.

Good point.