Solar Panels

Can we disable fuel flow? I mean seriously, I want a hybrid.

Starting/stopping individual engines is something I’ve wanted to add for a while

Sick additions, Soy. I haven’t yet toyed with solar power yet.
I guess for much the same reason as why I haven’t toyed with advanced mechanical devices in Dwarf Fortress.
This makes me want to give solar power a go now. Cheers! n_n

Random de-lurk and necropost to whine about getting halfway into building a solar farm, then googling up this thread and finding out that I’ve been wasting my time. Of course standard solar panels are worthless and electric cars don’t actually move. Anything else wouldn’t be “realistic” even though this society is so insanely advanced that it builds teleporters.

/relurk

[quote=“DudeGuyMan, post:45, topic:5099”]Random de-lurk and necropost to whine about getting halfway into building a solar farm, then googling up this thread and finding out that I’ve been wasting my time. Of course standard solar panels are worthless and electric cars don’t actually move. Anything else wouldn’t be “realistic” even though this society is so insanely advanced that it builds teleporters.
/relurk[/quote]

i gotta say you are wildly wrong here…
i always run a completely solar car. the last one was 15 tonnes and going up, and it was self sufficient for every need, be it crafting or moving around…

the trick is to cram as many solar panels and storage batteries as possible, then wait for them to charge to at least 50%.
After that, you are fine if you are not driving 24/7

Also, switch to upgraded and quantum solars if you can craft/find 'em and it becomes much better…

Imo solars are still OP.
I mean, who can reliably cook, build whole cars, move 15 tonne trucks around, all of it with as many solars as will fit in an RV roof?
Also, who can reliably store the power to do all that in a car that contains much more than batteries?

[quote=“DudeGuyMan, post:45, topic:5099”]Random de-lurk and necropost to whine about getting halfway into building a solar farm, then googling up this thread and finding out that I’ve been wasting my time. Of course standard solar panels are worthless and electric cars don’t actually move. Anything else wouldn’t be “realistic” even though this society is so insanely advanced that it builds teleporters.

/relurk[/quote]

Haha ouch, zing

But really though, what you’re looking at with “standard” solar panels in-game is today’s advanced solar panels. Take a look at the Venturi Eclectic, which is what your usual solar car (with the 4 cells) is probably most like:

30mph for 30 mile range, so limited to city driving. In a near-future you’d probably find tons of these practically useless things littering the roads - even a few scratches on the panels would make it very difficult to charge. You’d need a whole lot of surface area to get reliable performance. Have you actually tried your solar farm yet? It should be able to charge up pretty quickly if you have a good array of panels. Improved or (especially) quantum panels can run large electric motors just about indefinitely as long as you’re not using them constantly; recharging small rechargeables can be done without breaking the bank no problem.

John I’m absolutely agree with you, the other solar car is better.

John I’m absolutely agree with you, the other solar car is better.[/quote]
Should be, John put it in xemself.