Secret stairs in toilets?

Hey y’all. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I was plundering a science lab today that was several layers deep and each layer had up and down stairs on practically every map tile. After looting the basement (found a plan for atomic battery mod! My mp3 player now runs on plutonium.), I took the an up stairs I had not taken before to get back to the surface. I came out in a toilet. Not like, in a stall NEXT to a toilet, but the actual toilet tile, filthy water and all. I hit “>”, and sure enough I was back at the lower level. Staircase built into a toilet. Glitch, or intentional? It lead straight to the armory of a barracks (probability travel makes everything easy). I’m playing the experimental build.

Under a toilet would be a great place to put a secret staircase.

Definite bug. :stuck_out_tongue:

It may be a bug, but it’s an awesome bug.

The stair tile overlapping with the toilet one?

That’s like, the best place to hide a secret passage ever!

“To the Science Cave!”

FLUSH

[quote=“Rivet, post:6, topic:5228”]That’s like, the best place to hide a secret passage ever!

“To the Science Cave!”

FLUSH[/quote]
And this is where we discover Rivtech stuff is made in secret labs accessible through toilets scattered throughout the world.

[quote=“Caconym, post:7, topic:5228”][quote=“Rivet, post:6, topic:5228”]That’s like, the best place to hide a secret passage ever!

“To the Science Cave!”

FLUSH[/quote]
And this is where we discover Rivtech stuff is made in secret labs accessible through toilets scattered throughout the world.[/quote]
ROFL

Known bug https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/6127 And very annoying.

From a construction perspective, I have to say a hidden staircase under a functional toilet does not seem feasible. Plumbing in general does not like to be moved around once it’s installed, and this goes double for septic lines.

In particular, I see this causing major problems with the sealing ring between the toilet itself and the drain pipe; these seals are commonly a large beeswax ring, and are particularly intolerant of ANY sort of movement. This is why it is very important that a toilet be installed securely and correctly; even slight movement done repeatedly, like from people sitting down and getting up, will probably damage this seal and cause leaks. And since this seal is entirely hidden, you won’t discover it until it’s leaked all the way through the ceiling of the room below, and by then you’ll have major rot and water damage to the floor around the toilet.

We had an incident recently at a nearby senior residence building where I help out sometimes; during a renovation of a bathroom, the seal on the toilet wasn’t installed properly. By the time we found it, all the floor joists under it were rotted; I think they had to tear out a one yard square section of floor to get it fixed.

Wait, did I just sit here for ten minutes writing I detailed description on why you shouldn’t build secret passages under toilets?

Maybe I spend too much time on these forums.

[quote=“Natures Witness, post:10, topic:5228”]From a construction perspective, I have to say a hidden staircase under a functional toilet does not seem feasible. Plumbing in general does not like to be moved around once it’s installed, and this goes double for septic lines.

In particular, I see this causing major problems with the sealing ring between the toilet itself and the drain pipe; these seals are commonly a large beeswax ring, and are particularly intolerant of ANY sort of movement. This is why it is very important that a toilet be installed securely and correctly; even slight movement done repeatedly, like from people sitting down and getting up, will probably damage this seal and cause leaks. And since this seal is entirely hidden, you won’t discover it until it’s leaked all the way through the ceiling of the room below, and by then you’ll have major rot and water damage to the floor around the toilet.

We had an incident recently at a nearby senior residence building where I help out sometimes; during a renovation of a bathroom, the seal on the toilet wasn’t installed properly. By the time we found it, all the floor joists under it were rotted; I think they had to tear out a one yard square section of floor to get it fixed.

Wait, did I just sit here for ten minutes writing I detailed description on why you shouldn’t build secret passages under toilets?

Maybe I spend too much time on these forums.[/quote]

Interesting story, and no, you should spend more time here. One of us… one of us…

[quote=“Lorknis, post:11, topic:5228”][quote=“Natures Witness, post:10, topic:5228”]From a construction perspective, I have to say a hidden staircase under a functional toilet does not seem feasible. Plumbing in general does not like to be moved around once it’s installed, and this goes double for septic lines.

Interesting story, and no, you should spend more time here. One of us… one of us…[/quote]

One of us [size=8pt]one of us…[/size]

One of us [size=8pt]one of us…[/size][/quote]

Gooble gobble! Gooble gobble!

[quote=“Natures Witness, post:10, topic:5228”]From a construction perspective, I have to say a hidden staircase under a functional toilet does not seem feasible. Plumbing in general does not like to be moved around once it’s installed, and this goes double for septic lines.

No one said it had to be a FUNCTIONAL toilet. Come to think of it, there are no functional toilets at all in CDDA.

[quote=“jaldor, post:14, topic:5228”][quote=“Natures Witness, post:10, topic:5228”]From a construction perspective, I have to say a hidden staircase under a functional toilet does not seem feasible. Plumbing in general does not like to be moved around once it’s installed, and this goes double for septic lines.

No one said it had to be a FUNCTIONAL toilet. Come to think of it, there are no functional toilets at all in CDDA.[/quote]

Il catch you wrong… the toilet which i found was a toilet staircase (i started searching for them EVERYWHERE) was filled with water :slight_smile:

[quote=“storm1911, post:15, topic:5228”][quote=“jaldor, post:14, topic:5228”][quote=“Natures Witness, post:10, topic:5228”]From a construction perspective, I have to say a hidden staircase under a functional toilet does not seem feasible. Plumbing in general does not like to be moved around once it’s installed, and this goes double for septic lines.

No one said it had to be a FUNCTIONAL toilet. Come to think of it, there are no functional toilets at all in CDDA.[/quote]

Il catch you wrong… the toilet which i found was a toilet staircase (i started searching for them EVERYWHERE) was filled with water :)[/quote]
It is filled with water in order fool people into thinking it’s a normal toilet and not hiding a staircase to a secret lab/cannabis plantation/armory/survival bunker

Im pretty sure that you could find ways to hide a staircase under a functional toilet, It would just cost you a lot of money.

You could probably use heavy duty hoses instead of tubes for example.

Similar bugs happened in basement homes, where the stairs down would be under the fridge or other furniture. A reasonable fix might be to not place stair tiles until furniture is set, then to pick a place for them. Or, define an area as being valid for holding up/down stairs while other terrain is being set, then place stairs in that area after all else is said and done.

That’s a good idea.

Stairs IN FRONT of toliets.
My explanation?
Missing floor and roof tiles let me… trespass between z levels.
Well that’s my roleplay explanation…