Remove Proficiencies?

I was wondering if it was possible to remove thoses proficiencies from the game. I’m not enjoying this feature so far. It make the game 10 times grindier, and it’s disappointing me. Maybe i’m not the only one thinking that way ? Someone know if there is a mod that doing that ? If not, do i have to use a previous version of CDDA ? I just want to craft my things, play the way i wanna play.

3 Likes

You can learn proficiencies through debug menu, add proficiencies through starting profession, edit files with proficiencies or edit files with recipes that use proficiencies.

If proficiencies didn’t destroy all the mats I invest into it every 20% progress, it would just be a time grind, which I’m fine with. But having to find replacement mats over and over, especialy rarer materials, tends to ramp up the costs considerably to the point of it being unbearable.

Is there a way to approach this where I don’t haul 8 seperate refrigeration tanks? Just to achieve 47% progress for a mini freezer?

I read you can gain proficiencies from NPCs, so I may go hunting for them next.

1 Like

Practice the proficiency first on easier to craft items.
Don’t forget to turn off skill exp if its you’re learning the skill too, as it will eat your focus and there will be nothing left for the proficiency.
Keep in mind that experience is divided evenly between all the proficiencies you’re currently learning with the craft, so choose recipes you can learn one at a time, prefereably ones with a short crafting time.

1 Like

What recipes do I craft to advance plastic proficincy?
Any that are listed with the proficiency seams to offer the same chance of destroying the item, is there no low tier items that can help me advance without having me destroy it in the progress?

you can search for recipes in the crafting menu. If no low-level ones come up increase the relevant skills, as the failure percentage from lack of proficiency is a multiplier on the base chance, which comes from skills. Have high relevant skills and even without proficiency you won’t fail often.

1 Like

So it seams there will always be the risk of losing materials to failed crafting. I guess the strategy to this would be what materials you are willing to sacrifice to advance.

In that regards, could more items have proficiency requirements? Especially for low cost items etc. That way I could skyrim grind the required skills?

I’ve taken the route of just using the debug menu to edit my player and get all the proficiency at the start of a run. I get they’re there to slow progression down a bit, but I really think that should be done by addressing how we become masters of an art by just reading a few books.

1 Like

But I really think that should be done by addressing how we become masters of an art by just reading a few books.

Thats literally what they do.
They force you to put in some actual practice time/attempts instead of just reading.

Edit:Whoops used the wrong clipboard

1 Like

I did wonder what the planet-stuff was all about, but I’ve figured - since it did kind of fit - it was probably a reference to some popular saying I just didn’t catch…

And indeed, the whole point of proficiencies, as far as I know and understand, is to have something you have to practice, instead of just learning it from a book. So it’s a bit weird to “complain” about progressing skills so fast but cheating/debugging the exact thing that would represent part of the solution away…

Of course it would be nice to have some way to “practice” a proficiency right now… as in not actually creating anything specific and just playing around to get a better understanding while wasting just little ressources (similar how one is/was able to practice tailoring on clothing), but it’s likely that we’re getting there at some point…

I did wonder what the planet-stuff was all about, but I’ve figured - since it did kind of fit - it was probably a reference to some popular saying I just didn’t catch…

It was some copyediting for an Aftershock pull request.

Of course it would be nice to have some way to “practice” a proficiency right now… as in not actually creating anything specific and just playing around to get a better understanding while wasting just little ressources (similar how one is/was able to practice tailoring on clothing), but it’s likely that we’re getting there at some point…

As far as I remember, this is planned it just didnt make it in before 0.F feature freeze.

1 Like

I’m actually doing the same thing. I’m used to die quickly in this game, so proficiencies are to much for me. I’m enjoying the previous CDDA experience without them so far… So meh… I use the debug menu likewise.