Recipe learning overload

With recipes being found primarily in books now, knowing which books have recipes to be unlocked is important. However, books don’t denote as readable if they have new recipes for you, and the only way to test if there’s a new recipe to learn is to read the book for 10+ minutes. In addition, many books contain recipes that cannot be learned at the highest level the book can train you to, requiring the player to hold onto books they’ve finished learning from in order to go back later and check for new recipes. This is really frustrating and requires even more headache-causing inventory management than Cataclysm does normally.

To fix this, I suggest two things:
A rework of the book’s color denotation system. A book that has no useful information (skills or recipes) is denoted gray. Books with currently-useful information are denoted green, and books with information that has unreached skill requirements are denoted red.
All recipes that a book can teach and their respective skill levels be listed in each book’s description. At the very least, a listing of how many recipes a book can teach at which skill levels.

This is a good idea. I wish there weren’t so many book-based recipes nowadays but this is a good start for managing it, at least.

If a book has recipes for you and you’ve already reached the skill level max for that book the message will pop up with something to the effect of “This book has recipes for you to learn” if it has nothing and you’ve maxed out your skill it just says “Reading this book will not improve your skills, read anyway? y/n”

Not entirely true. For one thing, if the book still has recipes but you just can’t learn them yet (I think if they need different skills to lean), then it still says “Reading this book will not improve…”

Not entirely true. For one thing, if the book still has recipes but you just can’t learn them yet (I think if they need different skills to lean), then it still says “Reading this book will not improve…”[/quote]

To my knowledge the only time you can’t learn a recipe (at all) is when the main skill isn’t high enough, not the secondary skill.