Queen Ants, But No Queen Bees?

Well, they do have Apis, which I presume is sitting at the center of the hive, controlling them. Also, I see no reason they could not have a swarm intelligence of a kind anyway, and even if they do not, eusocial organisms pretty regularly exhibit complex, organized behaviors without being individually intelligent.

I can definitely see their stingers becoming lodged in the hull on occasion, perhaps not EVERY time though. Also, lets consider this from another direction: In order to assault deathmobiles, they could have corrosive stinger venom. Even if they can’t directly penetrate the hull, they could basically suicide ram the vehicle until a hole is melted in the hull by the fluids from their ruptured stingers.

We need some way of making them more threatening, because as of right now a survivor driving around in a bubble car with a single mounted gun and a lighter could exterminate a whole hive without ever being in any danger. Attacking a Bee Hive or Ant Mound should be a difficult, dangerous affair, with the bugs actively fighting back and seeking to obstruct you. It should probably require multiple NPCs as backup. I’m imagining it like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXUYgMX3vuk

To be fair, a naked survivor with a crossbow and a backup heavy stick can just snip the whole hive pretty easily assuming he has above average speed.

Oooh, I like the corrosive venom idea.

I totally agree. This would make for some epic battles.

While bees don’t, the ant hill I tackled had about 200 ants running at me all at once before I even got into the hill. I’m not quite sure what makes them congregate like that, but it was pretty fun to deal with that, but my ammo supply held out, and hit and run tactics eventually cleared the surface numbers to near zero. Maybe just copy whatever is making the ants do this for a similar experience?

The ants are attracted by sound. The more you shoot, the more show up. Try throwing a flashbang grenade and watch them all scurry towards the blast site, then drop a frag on them or something.